• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

crazy recruiting scandal breaking right now: USC, Texas & Wake among schools listed

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue against that point. As well-intentioned as it might be though, we can agree that is is a bad idea.

that would be utter and complete bullshit. Once a kid is on campus, if he/she does the work to earn a degree, the degree should be conferred.

Maybe I would feel differently if the student was shown to have perpetrated a fraud (by being actively involved in the deception) in order to gain admittance. But in a number of cases, the kids didn't even know their exam scores were affected because the alterations happened after the kid turned the exam in!

Although on the other hand . . those kids must have known something was up when they were granted special sittings to take the exams. But hey - maybe I just don't get how the 1%ers live.
Shit, most of these kids were faking being recruits for sports teams, they knew.

Last edited:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC kicked the two daughters out of school.

'Course one wasn't even there, she's in Europe, yachting. (Maybe they made her row the yacht?)

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC kicked the two daughters out of school.

'Course one wasn't even there, she's in Europe, yachting. (Maybe they made her row the yacht?)
You missed the best part of that story. That yacht was a billionaire USC official’s yacht.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be utter and complete bullshit. Once a kid is on campus, if he/she does the work to earn a degree, the degree should be conferred.

I agree. I haven't heard that any school is planning on taking that action. Just that it's something they could do.

Maybe I would feel differently if the student was shown to have perpetrated a fraud (by being actively involved in the deception) in order to gain admittance. But in a number of cases, the kids didn't even know their exam scores were affected because the alterations happened after the kid turned the exam in!

Although on the other hand . . those kids must have known something was up when they were granted special sittings to take the exams. But hey - maybe I just don't get how the 1%ers live.

Yeah, that's the thing, when you have that kind of money, the rules tend to be a bit different. Kids may have just thought that's how it done.

The tough decision, imo, would be a kid that maybe knew or at least suspected they got in fraudulently, but completed the work legitimately.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Class action lawsuits have been filed.

This kind of stuff happens in all aspects of life, it is not what you know but who you know. In some cases, it is how much you can pay someone who knows.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/14/mom-files-500b-lawsuit-over-college-admissions-scandal/

Just think how many politicians pull this kind of stuff. Daily.

2 Stanford students file class action lawsuit in college admissions case

I should probably join this as my kids were going through college admissions at the same time as the rich and sort of famous.

To quote Olivia Jade Loughlin

"I don't know how much of school I'm gonna attend," she said in one of her videos from last summer. "But I'm gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of, like, game days, partying. … I don't really care about school, as you guys all know."

At least she is honest. Her parents did raise that part right.

Last edited:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually, this is going to become a major problem for the AD's at the schools in question and college athletics
in general. (Now it maybe a blessing in disguise, that will have to play itself out.)

Most of these bribes were done in minor college athletic sports. Big schools, but minor sports. We don't have
a section here on Crew and sailing sports. Nobody knows or cares who's getting those schollies.

Because their children were dumber than dirt, they went the way of athletic scholarships because athletes can get in
with a lower GPA than the average GPA for normal students. They just had to fake the SAT and ACT scores.

That will eventually work its way around to allowing athletes to get in with a lower GPA. I can see that argument
playing out. "If it is wrong to take a spot from a more deserving student, because of fake scores, why is it ok to
take a spot from a more deserving student because of athletics?"

If that is forced upon the NCAA, then the NFL and NBA better start planning for Minor Leagues because they'll lose half
of their future talent even being able to qualify for college, if the GPA is raised across the board.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens if they pay all this money in bribes and the kid still gets rejected?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens if they pay all this money in bribes and the kid still gets rejected?

My favorite read is that Dad paid millions for his kid to get into Stanford, but his kid rejected BOTH times he was accepted and chose to go elsewhere.

The FBI was actually investigating something else at the time when this became part of it.

Sounds like the Singer dude was doing other illegal things and wiretapped his "clients" to get leniency in this other investigation we don't know about yet.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m honestly not opposed to that. The whole “college athlete” moniker is a fucking joke. A ton of those kids can barely write a coherent sentence.

I agree 100%.

Turn College Athletics back over to the "Collegians."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%.

Turn College Athletics back over to the "Collegians."

Saw some college recruit who has ACT score in his twitter handle. Kid was bragging about his 22 score. He obviously had it there because it mean he’s an automatic qualifier and therefore that was an asset. What a fucking joke. I scored a 22 after my 8th grade year.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is forced upon the NCAA, then the NFL and NBA better start planning for Minor Leagues because they'll lose half
of their future talent even being able to qualify for college, if the GPA is raised across the board.
It sure would be a boon to schools that already require high GPAs for admission.

Maybe we'll see a return to the dominance of the Ivy League!

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure would be a boon to schools that already require high GPAs for admission.

Maybe we'll see a return to the dominance of the Ivy League!

We'll never see that. And I would question how much of a boon it would be to schools that already require high
GPA's. Those players go for the education value, well all schools would be able to increase the level of learning
and players wouldn't have just 4 or 5 choices to get an education but plenty in their home state.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's both hilarious and sad that some of these students whose parents paid big bucks to get them into their college of choice - looking mainly at Lori Loughlin's daughter - have the attitude that college isn't such a big deal. She stated something to the effect of: "I don't really care that much about school. I'm here mostly for the experience & the parties."

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were going to bribe to get my kid in a school, it wouldn’t be USC.