• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crabtree possibly out for season

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious by your post that you don't watch Kaep play much. Your view is flat out ignorant and idiotic

You should see his views on college football as well. He clearly didn't watch kaepernick at nevada or watch the 9'rs run to the SB. But are you really surprised to see posts like this on a rivals board? lol

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
With all due respect to you, and those sharing these thoughts, I call :bullshit:

Crabtree averaged 9 passes a game and 6 catches, but look at his total yardage. He was their game changer with his ability to separate and break open a defense. Boldin? How fast is he these days? Sure, he will get his catches, but they are more jump ball types of catches and he won't be burning people after the catch.

Does Kaep have other targets? Sure, but Seattle last year had Rice and who? Adding Harvin means defenses have to seriously cover both as real threats every down. Not having both Crabtree and Boldin every down hurts them. Period.

There is a reason Kaep concentrated so much on Crabtree. He makes catches and can break open games. If you would have put Manning on that team they still push out to him 10 times a game. It won't help a young QB trying to keep the defense moving deep to help keep the running lanes open. It just won't.

Does this kill the 9'ers season? Of course not. They have weapons all over the place and one of the top defenses in the league that will keep them in almost every game. But losing their big game changing player will have an impact for sure.

Part of the reason Kaep locked in on Crabtree is towards the end of the season there wasn't anyone else.

Kyle Williams was out against the Saints in Kaep's second start and to me the bigger loss was Manningham who when he was in there saw a fair amount of targets and I thought was building a nice connection with Kaep until he went out with injury.

So that left him thin on viable targets as Moss was a shell of his former self so that means his main viable targets were Davis, Crabtree, and Walker.

At the time Defenses really only feared and respected Davis so they made sure to shut him out which is why the Kaep to Crabtree connection exploded.

Crabtree himself exploded because Kaep was able to hit him quicker and more accurate than Smith which allowed Crabs to do what he best and make football moves and get YAC. With Smith he would have to snag the ball from a bad spot and the defender was on him before he had a chance to move.

When the Playoffs came you saw Davis become a bigger factor because defenses finally had to respect Crabtree or Kaep was going to simply keep tossing him the ball and letting him burn them.

And that's where the Crabtree injury is going to hurt the most because he was productive enough that defenses had to divert some attention away from VD and put some attention on Crabtree which opened things up for both of them.

The 9ers WR corp is at least in far better condition to weather the storm of losing Crabtree though. Boldin is better than Moss, Williams and Manningham are expected back to start the season, AJ Jenkins can't possibly have any less production last season, Patton figures to be a nice piece, and reports have been pretty positive on Lockette thus far.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And still the point is the 9'rs would be better off having Crabtree than not having him for the season, no matter who else is on the field. His big play making ability will not simply be absorbed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should see his views on college football as well. He clearly didn't watch kaepernick at nevada or watch the 9'rs run to the SB. But are you really surprised to see posts like this on a rivals board? lol

In fairness lots of doubters for all these one year starters. Ben Roethlisberger when asked about these QBs said ...lets wait and see. Now of course fans see their guy thru rose tinted glasses, but have no trouble finding fault of players on other teams. Nothing wrong with that really...sports fans are biased, its to expected.

You know I was a big Kaep doubter. You mention his play at Nevada, played well, but it was a gimmick offense, so it would be easy to doubt that he could adapt to a more complex NFL offense. Then the 49ers were some what interested in signing Manning before resigning Smith. As a opposing fan I though Mmmmm maybe Kaep was a mistake. In his second year of training camp it didn't look like there was a competition for the starter position from what I read.

You know I was stunned when Harbaugh went with Kaep as starter over Smith in mid season, because Smith was having a career year and the 49ers were in good position to get the second seed. Why do that mid season? Why not at the start of the season or next camp? It worked out for the 49ers, but it was a unusual move.

It wasn't until the playoffs that I started to believe that Kaep was good. Watching him in the Atlanta game hitting Davis for passes rather then focusing solely on Crabtree that I had to concede that he was indeed a good QB.

Others may need more data. Nothing wrong with that. Its one of the reason that next year will be so interesting. Watching all these young QBs, see:rollseyes:ing which ones continues having a good season and which ones fall back.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious by your post that you don't watch Kaep play much.

I've watched him play since his frosh year. He's electric, amazing and insert adjective, but smart is not one of them.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched him play since his frosh year. He's electric, amazing and insert adjective, but smart is not one of them.

That plays counter to his wonderlic score or his challenging schedule and his underachieving 3.8 cumulative grades in both high school and college. What evidence to the contrary do you have that would tell you that he is not smart? I'm expect some sort of personalized diatribe on how you TRULY know him because you were at the same party he was, but all evidence points to you not knowing what you are talking about. That reeks of anecdotal, case study-esque stories of how this one instant is why he is dumb. You are telling me that people should trust a couple hours drunk at a party as more telling of his intelligence then his wonderlic and grades, which have covered most of his life.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw, if wazzy was wrong it just means he coug'ed it.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kaep not smart. All he does is run. Not good throwing. Are all lies from people who have no clue what they are talking about. Not trying to be mean, but it is so frustrating listening to this over and over again. Every single shred of evidence tells you those are not true. If you don't know, you don't know.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That plays counter to his wonderlic score or his challenging schedule and his underachieving 3.8 cumulative grades in both high school and college. What evidence to the contrary do you have that would tell you that he is not smart? I'm expect some sort of personalized diatribe on how you TRULY know him because you were at the same party he was, but all evidence points to you not knowing what you are talking about. That reeks of anecdotal, case study-esque stories of how this one instant is why he is dumb. You are telling me that people should trust a couple hours drunk at a party as more telling of his intelligence then his wonderlic and grades, which have covered most of his life.

Cringed really hard seeing you mention his GPA. He went to the University of Nevada for christ sake. Not to mention the fact that NCAA football players have practically unlimited academic resources available to them.

Not to mention I can't seem to find any legitimate source that actually has proof of any academic success other than his parents saying he had a "4.0 weighted GPA in HS"

If I had a dime for every parent who claims their kid had a 4.0 in HS I'd have more money than the entire 49ers roster put together.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
All the numbers I read say 4.3 in high school and 4.0 at Nevada. Kid isn't dumb.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This isn't proof of intelligence on the field. If academic achievement was proof of on field intelligence then Ryan Fitzpatrick would be one of the smartest QBs in the NFL, and we all know that isn't true.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the numbers I read say 4.3 in high school and 4.0 at Nevada. Kid isn't dumb.

And where do you find these numbers? The only source I could find was his parents, and as I said we should all know how reliable that is.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might happen anywhere, at any time. Wide receiver Ricardo Lockette could be watching the Golden State Warriors on television, when his roommie, quarterback Colin Kaepernick, will yell out a play and Lockette will recite his route and his adjustments on that play. Lockette always has to be prepared for a peppering about the playbook from Kaepernick.

The pair roomed together last year, and were in Atlanta over the off-season training together. Lockette, who was on the practice squad last season after his release from Seattle, said his understanding of the 49ers’ offense increased immensely after spending time with Kaepernick.

“The way he breaks down plays and just working one-on-one with him, it’s made me a different receiver,” Lockette said after a minicamp practice this week. “It’s like night and day just learning the playbook from someone you can totally relate to. He understands how you think.” - See more at: A 49ers receiver to watch closely - 05-26-2013

This doesnt sound like the type of mentoring you would get from a retard... Just Sayin

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't proof of intelligence on the field. If academic achievement was proof of on field intelligence then Ryan Fitzpatrick would be one of the smartest QBs in the NFL, and we all know that isn't true.

Some of the smartest people I have met aren't that bright at all. They sure can ace a test though.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did this thread go from crabtree out of the year and what impact that might have to how stupid is Kaepernick?

Clearly there were plays last year where CK was either off on his reads or slow through his progressions. Isn't every rookie guilty to some degree? I didn't see glaring holes in his game and I'm sure having the off season will give him more time to get more up to NFL game speed. It takes time to get comfortable reading defenses and reacting to the pro game.

I do think Wilson is ahead of Kaepernick and I see him having a bigger upside, but not by miles. Both are going to be around the league for a while and both may end up with SB rings before it's all over. Just Wilson to me is more of a sure thing.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the smartest people I have met aren't that bright at all. They sure can ace a test though.

The key word is bolded. But although the SEA board is quick to discount GPA in both college and HS as evidence against the prosecution, that is quite a bit of evidence vs. the "Kaep isn't smart" argument. It goes from Kaep isn't smart to Kaep isn't smart on the field. But then, decision making would have to come into play. His TD/INT ratio is stellar and his ability to run smartly is something I wish Steve Young had. So I guess I'm failing to see how anyone could come to that conclusion.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key word is bolded. But although the SEA board is quick to discount GPA in both college and HS as evidence against the prosecution, that is quite a bit of evidence vs. the "Kaep isn't smart" argument. It goes from Kaep isn't smart to Kaep isn't smart on the field. But then, decision making would have to come into play. His TD/INT ratio is stellar and his ability to run smartly is something I wish Steve Young had. So I guess I'm failing to see how anyone could come to that conclusion.

Really dude, there is a difference between scholarly smarts and football smarts. QB's have a lot to process in a very little span of time and they either can do it and make great decisions or not. It would seem some here are questioning that with Kaepernick. I'm not sure you can really question a QB who helped take a team to the SB and only played half a season, but the others are entitled to their opinions. Just treat it for what it is, opinions.

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a shame we couldn't beat them at full strength.
But that's why play the game.

Next up: Mario Manningham, Ricardo Lockett, and A.J Jenkins
unless they are lining up more 2 TE sets like he did in Stanford.