• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys give "clear indication" Garrett will remain head coach

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore: Cowboys give 'clear indication' Garrett will remain head coach | Dallas Morning News

My ears perked up a little when I heard Stephen Jones comments Wednesday night. There will be some Cowboys fans who will not like this one damn bit. They will point at the consecutive 8-8 seasons, some of the seriously boneheaded play-calling gaffes over the years and Red Ball's generic comments about "the process" and "one game at a time" and and "doing things the right way" and lots of other negative grift in maintaining a position that this is a bad move.

I'm not one of them.

I've had plenty of issues with Garrett in the past 4 years. But - I also have to give him credit for functioning in an environment that most head coaches couldn't manage - working for Jerry. And - I also give him credit for this team playing hard when lesser coaches have failed (hello Niners...). Add to it the fact that the team respects him, he seems to have developed a good relationship with Stephen, and he's getting better players due to a scouting staff under Will McClay that seems to understand how to draft good, smart football players while managing an awful salary cap scenario - the arrow appears to be pointing "up".

It's nice to see the possibility of actual stability for the first time in awhile. Get him signed, Stephen.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. Brian Broaddus has said all year he thought GArrett would have to go to the playoffs to keep his job. That wasn't necessarily his preference, but he thought that's what the Joneses would do.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a good season, despite a lot of people thinking they would go anywhere from 4-12 to 7-9.

I have complained about the OC having them throw the ball too much over the last 2-3 seasons, but they adapted and ran the ball more. I think that was a huge part of their success so far, Romo hasn't had to throw it 45-50 times a game.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a good season, despite a lot of people thinking they would go anywhere from 4-12 to 7-9.

I have complained about the OC having them throw the ball too much over the last 2-3 seasons, but they adapted and ran the ball more. I think that was a huge part of their success so far, Romo hasn't had to throw it 45-50 times a game.

I think that is a mix of Murray healthy, Romo's back, commitment to the OL, and Linehan being hired. If Linehan was JG's idea and hire, then he gets all the credit in the world for that. Linehan is the assistant coach of the year in the NFL, IMO.

Now if we could can commit to the defense heavily in this draft and find some room to sign some pressure off the end, we could do something next year.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is a mix of Murray healthy, Romo's back, commitment to the OL, and Linehan being hired. If Linehan was JG's idea and hire, then he gets all the credit in the world for that. Linehan is the assistant coach of the year in the NFL, IMO.

Now if we could can commit to the defense heavily in this draft and find some room to sign some pressure off the end, we could do something next year.

Funny how after the Linehan hire all we heard was his lack of commitment to the running game elsewhere. Personnel sure has a way of changing "philosophy".

And - I agree about next year's draft Ford. Unless there is some offensive stud we just can't pass up, defense is the focus... especially the D-line.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore: Cowboys give 'clear indication' Garrett will remain head coach | Dallas Morning News

My ears perked up a little when I heard Stephen Jones comments Wednesday night. There will be some Cowboys fans who will not like this one damn bit. They will point at the consecutive 8-8 seasons, some of the seriously boneheaded play-calling gaffes over the years and Red Ball's generic comments about "the process" and "one game at a time" and and "doing things the right way" and lots of other negative grift in maintaining a position that this is a bad move.

I'm not one of them.

I've had plenty of issues with Garrett in the past 4 years. But - I also have to give him credit for functioning in an environment that most head coaches couldn't manage - working for Jerry. And - I also give him credit for this team playing hard when lesser coaches have failed (hello Niners...). Add to it the fact that the team respects him, he seems to have developed a good relationship with Stephen, and he's getting better players due to a scouting staff under Will McClay that seems to understand how to draft good, smart football players while managing an awful salary cap scenario - the arrow appears to be pointing "up".

It's nice to see the possibility of actual stability for the first time in awhile. Get him signed, Stephen.

Hey O!...before the season it seemed it was a foregone conclusion Garrett was done after this season with no extension apparently on the table. Amazing what a good running game and a commitment to it will do for the team.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garrett is finally turning this team around. Do you really think it was Jerry's idea to draft all these o-lineman in the first round the last few years? Garrett learned a lot from Jimmy, games are won and lost in the trenches. I think you will now see Garrett focus on the D-line, IMO its more important than even safety or corner. Give Garrett a few more years, Rhome wasn't built in a day.

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got some issues to deal with next year ... salary cap ... yet once again. This season has surpassed my expectations, but things still need to improve. I have anxiety over getting both Murray and Dez deals done, much less some of the others ...

and has been discussed ... the Boys need a solid D-Line ... amongst other areas. What I will say is a strong D-line goes a long way in solving "other" problems ...

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Let's hope Jerry gets it this offseason that we need Defense!!!!!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Let's hope Jerry gets it this offseason that we need Defense!!!!!

Exactly. To have 9 wins with this shit D, JG deserves coach of the year consideration, though Arians runs away with it

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan has made a big difference. Garrot play calling and game management were atrocious. If the Cowboys lose 3 straight is he still here? Possibly. This looked like a 3 to 5 win team to me going into the season. Garrot doing something right