• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Being a Player/coach

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this article on Sherman possibly coming to the Cowboys.

Now I really dont give a shit about him coming here as a player. I dont think he would be worth it.
but reason I bring this up is.

What if this becomes a thing to circumvent the cap?
Pay a player vet min. while paying the rest of his money as a coach?
Does anyone have any idea if there are rules in place to stop this from being a thing?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this article on Sherman possibly coming to the Cowboys.

Now I really dont give a shit about him coming here as a player. I dont think he would be worth it.
but reason I bring this up is.

What if this becomes a thing to circumvent the cap?
Pay a player vet min. while paying the rest of his money as a coach?
Does anyone have any idea if there are rules in place to stop this from being a thing?
I've been off & on with regards to Sherman in Dallas. I'd like to see him play some safety if he some how choose Dallas. I still think he follows the money where ever he hangs his hat.

Gotta say Schmoopy1000, you bring up some interesting questions, I'll be interested in seeing who knows the rules on such a thing as a player/coach. I'd think his entire salary goes towards the cap.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this on Wikipedia when I searched "NFL Player/Coach Rules"... and I had forgotten about the Broncos trying to use a coach when all of their QB's were in COVID protocol last season. Appears you can't do it "overtly".

Player-coach - Wikipedia

In an official capacity, much like the NBA, the current CBA between the NFL and the NFL Players Association prohibits official player-coaches due to teams using it to circumvent the salary cap. This was evident in 2020 when the Denver Broncos were forced to start practice squad wide receiver Kendall Hinton at quarterback due to all of the Broncos regular quarterbacks being placed into COVID-19 protocols as a result of backup quarterback Jeff Driskel testing positive for COVID-19 and being around the remaining quarterbacks on the team without wearing face masks. Originally, the Broncos wanted to use offensive quality control coach Rob Calabrese to play quarterback, but the NFL turned them down out of hand. The Saints defeated the Broncos 31-3, with Hinton going 1 for 9 and two interceptions.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this on Wikipedia when I searched "NFL Player/Coach Rules"... and I had forgotten about the Broncos trying to use a coach when all of their QB's were in COVID protocol last season. Appears you can't do it "overtly".

Player-coach - Wikipedia
I would assume this is because he wasnt contracted to be a player nor was apart of the salary cap, but then again. I am really clueless on this subject.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume this is because he wasnt contracted to be a player nor was apart of the salary cap, but then again. I am really clueless on this subject.
The NFL won't allow this as a way to circumvent the cap

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about that. The biggest issue was the cap and now he'll get less. Let's see what the facts are in a couple of weeks.
This could be an overzealous charge.

I am now not so opposed if that price goes way way down.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the video of him losing his shit at his FIL’s place, my $0.02 is that the dude needs some time to get his personal scene under control before even considering future employment in the league or anywhere else. He was unhinged.

Hard pass.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the video of him losing his shit at his FIL’s place, my $0.02 is that the dude needs some time to get his personal scene under control before even considering future employment in the league or anywhere else. He was unhinged.

Hard pass.
I didn't see vid and I just read some parts of it and dude needs to lay off the sauce. Been there myself. Thought a night in jail would cure me. Didn't. But I grew up and after a few more years figured out wasted is not a good state of mind. Only he can figure that out for himself.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see vid and I just read some parts of it and dude needs to lay off the sauce. Been there myself. Thought a night in jail would cure me. Didn't. But I grew up and after a few more years figured out wasted is not a good state of mind. Only he can figure that out for himself.
Only took me one DWI to stop doing that stupid shit. That and the $8K associated with fines, lawyers & mandatory classes.