• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins' value

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tautology either way?? Isn't that redundant? Whatever. You're the one that said you would take an unathletic QB with a cannon over an athletic QB with average arm. In your defense, you kept to that through the scenarios I gave you. I just disagree. I'd take wilson or kaepernick any day over mallett. In fact, I'd take cousins over mallett. I will agree that mallett has the sronger arm, but we've seen plenty of strong arm QBs that don't pan out. And yes, there are athletic qbs that don't pan out either (again, Tebow, etc).

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unathletic QB with cannons could be guys like Russell and Leaf. I agree with JY... I would take an athletic QB with accuracy over any other type.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to say this thread was an enjoyable read.

I see a lot of good points for keeping him, trading him, etc. I think it's important to remember that what Cousins value will be in a year or two is ultimately an unknown.

At present, I think it's a little hard to imagine someone trading a first round for him. If RG3 is hurt over the next season or two and Cousins sits on the bench, his value won't go up. If he starts 7 games and has a QB rating of 94, then of course a first rounder is possible. If he starts some games and stinks, then of course he may get nothing more than where we drafted him (or worse). Point being - none of us know at this point.

Ultimately, gotta give the Shannys credit. They took some hit for drafting him at the time - turned out to be a great pick. They recognized the QB position is the most important to success and went to great efforts to lock up that position with talent.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
am i missing something ? exactly what skill set is wilson lacking ? he has the arm , brains , mobility , and he has done it on the field

same with kaep and rodgers

i think the team that gets a mallet will have a very good o/line . i think the team that gets cousins will be able to run the WCO or any "standard " nfl offense

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
am i missing something ? exactly what skill set is wilson lacking ? he has the arm , brains , mobility , and he has done it on the field

same with kaep and rodgers

i think the team that gets a mallet will have a very good o/line . i think the team that gets cousins will be able to run the WCO or any "standard " nfl offense

My sentiments exactly. Mallet MAY be a very good passer, but he is a one dimensional player that has to be in a system tailored for him. Also, as you pointed out, he will need support from a very stout offensive line and a strong running game. Cousins, while he doesn't have the arm strength of mallet, can still make all the throws and has the athleticism to play in multiple schemes. Finally, cousins has live experience, has faced live rounds coming at him, and has had success. Mallet is still a question mark in that area. I have no doubt that most NFL teams would be willing to give up more to get cousins today than Mallett.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did one poster just say Russell was unathletic? LOL

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unathletic QB as in JAMarcus Russell. Did you really think I meant Wilson? Russell and Leaf...dead give-away is last names. Not that hard.:noidea:

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Showcasing Cousins Round Two for roughly 20 desperate teams begins in...

SkinsSteelers.JPG

66Victoria96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hold him for now, because RG3 does have some risk of injury, especially depending on how you use him.

I would consider Mallett to have more value than Cousins as he was not only originally a first round prospect, but he has learned behind Tom Brady for a couple of years, and is only about a year older than cousins, and we're not getting a first rounder for him (although I let him play out his contract instead of taking anything less). I think expecting a first for him (and most certainly a #1 overall) is nuts.
Mallet....more value! No way. Guy hasn't shown anything at all in this league. And sitting behind Brady has no merit. Until you perform on the field you are worthless. Although Cousins has only played one complete game and a few mop appearances, he has greater value and potential than Mallet based on what we've seen of him. What have we seen from Mallet since being drafted. Nothing!

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins hasn't shown anything of significance either. Both have value solely for their perceived talent, not because they have shown they can perform at the NFL level.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could be showcasing Cousins in the preseason. Upping his trade value. Then if a QB gets injured before the season, teams may come knocking.

Hey we will offer you a second and 4th.

No but we will take a second and a conditional 1st (4th if conditions aren't met).

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a conditional first with nothing else thrown in. You guys are seriously overvaluing him.

66Victoria96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went higher than cousins, and was projected higher than cousins ever was. He fell off due to personality concerns but has been just fine in New England. I don't think either draws a first rounder, but if any given team was to have an equal chance at both (which I don't believe is the case; I sincerely believe even a late first would be rejected for Mallett), I think it's Mallett every time.
Did you see any of Mallet's games while in college? Not only did he have character issues but his decision making was horrendous. His size and arm strength were his assets but was often criticized for not reading defenses very well which led to many of his interceptions.
I do agree with you that it's all based on potential but, from right now, what we've seen from either, Cousins offers the greater value.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins hasn't shown anything of significance either. Both have value solely for their perceived talent, not because they have shown they can perform at the NFL level.

JDM, no offense...but, your an idiot. How many NFL wins does Mallett have on his resume? He was a head case in college, and maybe, just maybe he has grown up a bit. But if you think your "wigger" backup quarterback has a better NFL resume than Cousin's, I will take a quote from your boy Mallett..."you trippin dog".

Let me break it down for you...Mallett grew up wanting to be like a young Mike, no not that Mike...Mike Vick. Kirk grew up wanting to be like Tom...Tom Brady.

Now really, ask yourself this. If you were an NFL owner who would you want to be your "franchise quarterback"...Mallett or Cousins?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of them have an NFL resume. Both are trade bait solely for their potential and skill sets.

66Victoria96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see any of Mallet's games while in college? Not only did he have character issues but his decision making was horrendous. His size and arm strength were his assets but was often criticized for not reading defenses very well which led to many of his interceptions.
I do agree with you that it's all based on potential but, from right now, what we've seen from either, Cousins offers the greater value.
I do remember watching one game of his in college where he threw 3 interceptions on 3 consecutive possessions. I just can't recall what game it was. But was one of the most terrible performances I've seen by a QB.
I do agree with you that it be stretching it to expect a first rounder in return for either one. However, I do feel one team that is desperate for a QB will penny up.

66Victoria96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM, no offense...but, your an idiot. How many NFL wins does Mallett have on his resume? He was a head case in college, and maybe, just maybe he has grown up a bit. But if you think your "wigger" backup quarterback has a better NFL resume than Cousin's, I will take a quote from your boy Mallett..."you trippin dog".

Let me break it down for you...Mallett grew up wanting to be like a young Mike, no not that Mike...Mike Vick. Kirk grew up wanting to be like Tom...Tom Brady.

Now really, ask yourself this. If you were an NFL owner who would you want to be your "franchise quarterback"...Mallett or Cousins?
Nice......

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For anybody saying Cousins doesn't garner a #2, let alone a #1 because of the following:

1) Because prospect such as Nasib and Barkley are similar. They have proven nothing. Cousins has game experience and played well. He continues to play well in preseason against the other teams best.

2) You just can't get that for a QB. Matt Schaub did not play well for Mike Vick...at least not as well as Cousins played for us. Matt Schaub garnered two 2nds and a 2 slot switch in the first.

3) What has Mallett done to be compared to Cousins? Mallett hasn't played in a regular season game unless you count the 4 passes he has thrown, one to the wrong team, as playing. Maybe you are impressed by his 9 of 18 performance for under 100 yards...about 5 yards/pass attempt.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins has thrown 50 passes. That doesn't mean any more than 5 passes does. Neither have been proven in the NFL, period.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For anybody saying Cousins doesn't garner a #2, let alone a #1 because of the following:

1) Because prospect such as Nasib and Barkley are similar. They have proven nothing. Cousins has game experience and played well. He continues to play well in preseason against the other teams best.

2) You just can't get that for a QB. Matt Schaub did not play well for Mike Vick...at least not as well as Cousins played for us. Matt Schaub garnered two 2nds and a 2 slot switch in the first.

3) What has Mallett done to be compared to Cousins? Mallett hasn't played in a regular season game unless you count the 4 passes he has thrown, one to the wrong team, as playing. Maybe you are impressed by his 9 of 18 performance for under 100 yards...about 5 yards/pass attempt.

forgot about shaub