• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins gets the tag

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for those trade rumors. Unless they tag him/sign him and trade him BUT that's not very likely!!!

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - this is not a surprise at all. No way Cousins was going to sign before being tagged. This will likely drag out for quite a while regardless of the eventual outcome.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - this is not a surprise at all. No way Cousins was going to sign before being tagged. This will likely drag out for quite a while regardless of the eventual outcome.
agree but it sure is looking like Cousins to done with Washington unless the skins pony up big time.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins place exclusive franchise tag on Kirk Cousins for a second time
A year after the Redskins used the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins, they've done it again.

The Redskins have used the franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins for the second time in as many offseasons, the team announced Tuesday. The move isn’t a surprise given reports that the team isn’t sure about committing franchise-quarterback money to Cousins over the long term, even if that means paying him roughly $24 million in 2017 -- a year after they paid him almost $20 million.

The two sides now have until July 15 to hammer out a long-term deal. If that doesn’t happen -- and it could be a lot more difficult than it should be -- Cousins could be elsewhere next season and Washington will be looking for its third franchise passer since 2012.

“I want to be where I’m wanted, and if they tag me that tells you that you’re wanted,” Cousins told ESPN 980 during Super Bowl Week, via the team’s website. “They are not going to tag you or commit to you if they don’t want you. So if they tag me then that’s great and it means they want me back. Whether I sign a five-year deal or a one-year franchise tag, I’m going to feel like I’m on a one-year deal every year and have to prove myself week in and week out. If they tag me, great, it looks like I’m wanted. If they don’t then that sends a strong message too and lets go look at our options.”

Those options may include Cousins getting traded out of town. This brings us to the 49ers, where Kyle Shanahan was named coach earlier this month. He coordinated one of the NFL’s most explosive offenses last season in Atlanta, and was the offensive coordinator in Washington when Cousins came into the league five years ago. And according to ESPN.com’s John Keim, there’s only one team Cousins would sign a long-term deal with right now: Yep, San Francisco.

Last week, NFL Network analyst and former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah said there was less than a 50/50 chance that Cousins was in Washington next season.

“I don’t think they’re going to be able to get a long-term deal done, and I think there is, I would say, a greater than 50 percent chance that he’s not with the Redskins next year,” Jeremiah told a San Diego radio station, via the Washington Post . “So you’ve got the combine coming up, all these teams will be together. I would not be shocked, at all, if we saw a Kirk Cousins-to-San Francisco trade go down at that point in time. And now you’ve got the dominoes really starting to fall. ...

“From what I hear, they’re not, in [Redskins Park], totally 100 percent sold on Kirk to give him the money that he could get,” said Jeremiah. “So I don’t think they come to a long-term deal, and I don’t think they can really afford to franchise him next year for a third year. So the feeling is hey, if we’re going to move on, we need to get something in exchange for him. And San Francisco would seem like the likely landing spot there. So we’ll see what happens.”

The knock on Cousins is that he struggles with consistency, but he ranked third in total value among all quarterbacks last season, according to Football Outsiders’ metrics, behind only Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. But even if Cousins was, say, replacement-level, who would the Redskins replace him with in ‘17?

“If they believe in Colt McCoy like some people believe they do, they make that trade, they end up with the second pick in the draft,” Jeremiah continued. “Might have to part with their own pick, no. 17, but they could wind up with the second pick in the draft. And then they have to decide if they want to draft one of these kids, or whether you go with Colt McCoy and just draft somebody else at that spot.”

For now, the Redskins and Cousins remain on the same side, though tenuously. And who knows, maybe the future quarterback plans don’t involve McCoy at all, but instead will focus on a player the Redskins originally tried to land back in 2009: Jay Cutler.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree but it sure is looking like Cousins to done with Washington unless the skins pony up big time.

Who knows. I don't think that this changes anything & I never expected a deal to be completed until at least late Mar. No doubt if he is extended the contract will be huge (perhaps a record). That is just how it goes now for QBs in the NFL. You don't have to be the best or even close to the best - just do fairly well & let your contract expire at the rt time.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this, yeah this is what should be done. That guy is probably the best QB they've had in yrs. They got to keep him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly if I were him I'd just sign the tag and then play the year out and hit unconditional FA next year. NO chance Wash tags a 3rd time since it will be like $30MM.

Just tell the team and have your agent spread the word that Kirk isn't signing a long term contract until he is a FA so no one offers anything of value, and let the bidding war begin next year.

if he gets hurt then he still made 30+ million bucks over the last two years. That should be enough to set him for life, if he has a career ending injury. So once again he should gamble on himself. The NFCEast is a wishy-washy conference. Imagine if he pulls a Flacco and ends up winning a SB or even having a playoff run? $30M a year will be the starting price next year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or if he REALLY wants to gamble on himself he could take a page from NBA players and only let teams sign him for 1 year +a player option year. At 28, as long as he plays well he is set since no one will really be able to apply the franchise tag to him again.

So say he hits FA next year and someone is desperate for a QB. he could tell teams he will only do 1+1 contracts. He may reduce the bidders but all it takes in one. Then if he gets injured he has another year under contract but if he does well then he is a FA again, and no one would really use the 3rd tag.

He's got himself in a really good spot, as long as he keeps playing well.