• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins Doesn't Deserve A Longterm Contract

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bite.. what do you consider bad reasons to keep him?? Please do share.

- breaking franchise records
- being the best QB we've had in a long time
- that we suck at drafting qbs
- that we'll be worse if we let him go/need to replace him with somebody
- that he doesn't have enough help on offense (!!)
- that it's only his 2nd year as a starter

Honestly there's probably others but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear everybody say this but it doesn't make sense. He made everybody better this year and makes everybody a weapon.

In another thread weren't you arguing that Djax as a Redskin has done nothing above and beyond what he did as an Eagle? If so, how did he make Djax better? Cousins has nothing to do with his speed or ability to track and adjust to a pass in the air. Or any of the 60+ yard TD passes that Djax had before he signed as a Redskin.

Reed's has had the "potentiial" label and intrigued people since he was in college. Everyone said he had an outstanding skillset. How has Kirk made him better? I sometimes wonder if Reed has been held back in the Skins system. With his speed, moves and mismatch possibilities he presents. I think his ypa should be at least 2 yards better than it is. And the fact that his longest gain in the NFL is 38 yards in 4 years being in the NFL. That's just a trip to me Yeah, I wonder at times if Reed has been held back.

How does he make Garcon better? He's always been a tough, fiesty sonofabitch who isn't scared to go make a catch in crowds or take a hit. And he's always had speed. In Griffin's first game as a pro. He turned a routine 12-15 yard pass into an 88 yd TD and averaged over 14 yards a catch. Two years ago he turned a 10 yard pass from Colt McCoy into a 70 yard TD. What's changed is that Kirk finally started going to him for more than outlet and safety valve passes. Kirk just finally stared trusting him is all.

The only player someone may be able to argue Kirk made better imo is JC. And even with I think its more a case of Kirk just started to trust him.

And finally. I think about how many passes have these players collectively dropped that shou;ld've been TDs or big plays. Not near as many passes that Kirk has overthrown or underthrown that would've been and should've been big plays is one correct answer.

This Cuz is the awesome narrative is getting a little stale quite frankly.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 5 players over 500 yards and two of those are over 1000 with a third so damn close.

He didn't make individual statistics go up...he made the unit better.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i would hate to start over at qb . that would definitely set the rebuild back another year

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk needs a running game and defense to back him up. Especially the latter. How many times has an opponent's offense taken the lead on us on an opening drive? That puts all sorts of pressure on the offense (and Cousins) since a punt (or FG) will mean you're down two scores -- or perhaps two TDs -- when the other team gets the ball again. The defense is also a huge problem because it can't stop the run. That allows other teams to keep our offense off the field by bleeding the clock like the Giants did yesterday. The Giants finished the season as the 29th ranked rushing offense, but somehow put up 161 yards against us on Sunday.

The biggest problem on Sunday, though, wasn't Cousins, but was that the team simply expected to win against a Giants team that they were sure would pull their starters early on. This piece explains that and other issues with our collapse on New Year's Day.

Washington Redskins: There’s Plenty Of Blame To Go Around For Blowing Postseason Chance

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that. I think the decision to keep kirk has everything to do with wether we think he's good enough. If he is then we pay him and keep him. If he isn't, we let him go and it doesn't matter how we plan on replacing him wether it's romo tyrod hoyer or a 1st round pick.

That's insane. Period.

Why do you think the Bears have tolerated Jay Cutler all this time?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because you are creating a hole that isnt there . a resource that can be used for defense is now going to be reinvested to a position where we have a good qb . geez the guy is entering year 3 as a starter . he will improve even more . hence i need a name taylor cutler romo , hoyer shaun hill mccoy luke mccown , someone that lets me believe we save money and get equal or better production .

even if we draft well on defense we make middle of the pack at best so i9s that enough to take less qb play ?

How about looking at what the Chiefs have done with Alex Smith? Smith is, at best, a pedestrian QB but plays a specific role in a team that flourished these past years.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh dear god I am so sorry. *eyeroll*

I think that if you think throwing for 4000 yards back to back years means your beyond criticism you're out of your mind. I'm not anti kirk or bringing kirk back. But you haven't been very rational lately so I'll let it slide that you missed that.

He nearly passed for 5,000 yards this year, a feat only accomplished by five passers in NFL history. And his numbers for the past two years compare with any QB in the league.

One big difference this year, according to Warren Sharp, is that he faced, on average, the third best pass defense in the league.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's insane. Period.

Why do you think the Bears have tolerated Jay Cutler all this time?

Why is that insane? Seems pretty logical to me.

I don't really care what the bears do. They thought they had a qb so they kept him. I'm not sure what the bears and Jay cutler prove.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- breaking franchise records
- being the best QB we've had in a long time
- that we suck at drafting qbs
- that we'll be worse if we let him go/need to replace him with somebody
- that he doesn't have enough help on offense (!!)
- that it's only his 2nd year as a starter

Honestly there's probably others but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

I finally got it. ehb and stymie are Dan and Vinny.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that insane? Seems pretty logical to me.

I don't really care what the bears do. They thought they had a qb so they kept him. I'm not sure what the bears and Jay cutler prove.

It proves that you stick with the best QB you have even if he's got all sorts of warts. While he might be a devil, he's one you know of. The appropriate time to jettison a QB is when you've got someone like John Beck.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He nearly passed for 5,000 yards this year, a feat only accomplished by five passers in NFL history. And his numbers for the past two years compare with any QB in the league.

One big difference this year, according to Warren Sharp, is that he faced, on average, the third best pass defense in the league.

Passing yards just isn't a great stat. Not awful and throwing for nearly 5000 is pretty impressive. It's just not ooh my god resign him now impressive. Part of the picture but not the whole picture kinda thing.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing yards just isn't a great stat. Not awful and throwing for nearly 5000 is pretty impressive. It's just not ooh my god resign him now impressive. Part of the picture but not the whole picture kinda thing.

Did you catch my other sentence after the 5,000 yards point? Among other things, how about 54 TDs / 23 INTs, 9083 yards? Also, two consecutive winning seasons since 1997?

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It proves that you stick with the best QB you have even if he's got all sorts of warts. While he might be a devil, he's one you know of. The appropriate time to jettison a QB is when you've got someone like John Beck.

The Texans spent 75 mil on brock. That shows you throw money at tall dudes with strong arms. Should we just follow that model. Or how about the Rams? Should we follow the trade all our picks for a crappy rookie qb model?

I'm not following crappy advice just cuz some dumbass team did it. That seems like a horrible way to figure out how to run a team. "Ooh we'll just do what the 3-13 bears did! " :L

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I answer that, are you Dan or Vinny?

Lol I'm not sure how the position I'm taking is anything like them but imagine me however you want for your little fantasy.

Now please...explain which of those reasons is valid.