• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins Doesn't Deserve A Longterm Contract

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't agree. Cousins is the best QB the Redskins have had since Sonny Jurgensen.

Agreed... but we got Millennials or damn near Millennials here. To them Sonny is just the old guy who does play by play on the local broadcast.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... but we got Millennials or damn near Millennials here. To them Sonny is just the old guy who does play by play on the local broadcast.

I can dig it. I still think about "What if?" Sonny hadn't tore his achilles back in 72.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, weather you like Cousins or not for what ever reason.

When it comes down to it.

Good reasons for resigning him are in my opinion.

1. He has been the best QB this team has seen on a consistency basis in 15-25 years depending on if you count Brad Johnson or not.

2. Resigning him takes us out of the lets keep doing stupid shit to try and get the Elite QB market.

Now the main reasons I have heard fro not resigning him are

1. He isnt Elite thus we cant sign him to "Elite" Money.

2. With the Weapons he had, any one should have been able to produce the numbers Cousins did.

3. He hasnt shown to be able to win the game without help from the rest of the team.

I dont like reason 1 for bringing him back. That screams for settling just because something is better than the crap weve had for so long.

Number 2 I kind of get. On one hand - Im not actually running the team so with that in mind we always have to worry about Snyder doing something stupid. But I generally operate under the hypothetical scenario in which im GM or where we take what I deem the optimal course at any time. So I dont think in that scenario that thats something we have to worry about. I like to think if I were running the team Id make smart decisions about moving on at QB.

Now for the reasons not to bring him back.

1 - Yea I think its pointless to say he shouldnt be highest paid just because he isnt the best qb in the league. Like many have said it has a lot to do with timing and in 2 years it wont be the biggest contract. Im more worried about taking up a huge portion of the cap on him or putting us in a deal that would be a pain in the ass to move on from. But thats not something Im too worried and Im just kind of waiting to see what the extension ends up looking like (Im still expecting it to get done).

2 - Saying anybody couldve done what he did is ridiculous. I dont think Colt or Sudfield could and Im sure theres several NFL starters who couldnt have either. That said - I think his receivers do make him a lot better. Which isnt a bad thing really - he has great receivers so its only natural. I think theres at least a handful of QBs who couldve done more than Cousins has but theres also plenty who would do worse.

3 - I dont like this reason either. Im not a big believer in "clutch". I dont think theres some magic it factor you have to have. Hes had game winning drives and big moments and hes blown it in big moments too. Either way its not a deciding factor for me. The pick at the end of the giants game was bad to me because it was an awful decision/throw not because it cost us the game.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ehb5

So now we are actually debating.

For the record I dont see it as settling so much as realizing that it might actually be better to build around a guy who has been better than anything we have had in a long time. Because the other option is to continue doing what we have been doing for 25 years and hoping we luck into something better.

And I will admit I think its a bit of bullshit to suggest that we should base resigning Kirk more on what he isnt as apposed to what he is, or rather what he does bring to the team.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys should dominate the NFC East with all that great young talent.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, that's a very important fact. If the last 25 years have told us anything, its that finding a really good QB, franchise type QB, is very hard. And its not just us. There are quite a few teams that have been searching for decades, like us, for just a competent QB. There just aren't that many of them. So to think that we can find someone that is as good, or better, than KC is, at best, being really really optimistic. In fact, many teams that have found such a QB fell into them via luck more than anything else. Brady? Luck. Wilson? Luck. Luck? Luck (teehee). Romo? Luck. Fuck, even Prescott was pure luck. So this notion that we should quibble over a few million of Danny's money or let him walk is just moronic. Or the idea that we trade him for pics and draft a rookie is most likely pure suicide for the GM that does that. This does not mean that we dont continue to strive for better, you just don't blow up a good situation looking for perfection. You work with good, attempt to make it better and you keep your eyes out for perfection every year.

But to do this, you have to lock up KC long term. If you franchise him again, he is gone 1st chance he gets. He already feels disrespected. That will be the final straw. If you do franchise him, you might as well trade him and get what ever you can for him this year.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, that's a very important fact. If the last 25 years have told us anything, its that finding a really good QB, franchise type QB, is very hard. And its not just us. There are quite a few teams that have been searching for decades, like us, for just a competent QB. There just aren't that many of them. So to think that we can find someone that is as good, or better, than KC is, at best, being really really optimistic. In fact, many teams that have found such a QB fell into them via luck more than anything else. Brady? Luck. Wilson? Luck. Luck? Luck (teehee). Romo? Luck. Fuck, even Prescott was pure luck. So this notion that we should quibble over a few million of Danny's money or let him walk is just moronic. Or the idea that we trade him for pics and draft a rookie is most likely pure suicide for the GM that does that. This does not mean that we dont continue to strive for better, you just don't blow up a good situation looking for perfection. You work with good, attempt to make it better and you keep your eyes out for perfection every year.

But to do this, you have to lock up KC long term. If you franchise him again, he is gone 1st chance he gets. He already feels disrespected. That will be the final straw. If you do franchise him, you might as well trade him and get what ever you can for him this year.

Preaching to the Choir bro.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ehb5

So now we are actually debating.

For the record I dont see it as settling so much as realizing that it might actually be better to build around a guy who has been better than anything we have had in a long time. Because the other option is to continue doing what we have been doing for 25 years and hoping we luck into something better.

And I will admit I think its a bit of bullshit to suggest that we should base resigning Kirk more on what he isnt as apposed to what he is, or rather what he does bring to the team.

Yea Im not saying signing Kirk is actually settling just that I dont like that specific line of thinking for bringing him back. I also dont think the only other option is to conduct business like we have for the last 25 years. Whether we keep Kirk or not I hope we can run the team better than that.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Im not saying signing Kirk is actually settling just that I dont like that specific line of thinking for bringing him back. I also dont think the only other option is to conduct business like we have for the last 25 years. Whether we keep Kirk or not I hope we can run the team better than that.

So can we agree that the biggest indicator that we are NOT going back into the clusterfuck of the last 25 years would be to do what most people think would be logical, and it totally NOT a Redskins move.

And to a degree Kirk is settling. But I dont think its a bad thing to settle for building the team as apposed to constantly trying to chase the flashy move or copy what other teams have done which rarely has worked for us.

Side note, Im going to throw you a PM with my really really fucked up BIzarro outcome that no one would expect and would likely depress the Redskins nation. LOL

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can we agree that the biggest indicator that we are NOT going back into the clusterfuck of the last 25 years would be to do what most people think would be logical, and it totally NOT a Redskins move.

And to a degree Kirk is settling. But I dont think its a bad thing to settle for building the team as apposed to constantly trying to chase the flashy move or copy what other teams have done which rarely has worked for us.

Side note, Im going to throw you a PM with my really really fucked up BIzarro outcome that no one would expect and would likely depress the Redskins nation. LOL

I dont think SM will stick around if Dan starts pulling the strings. But if we let Kirk go and trade up to take Watson the alarm bells will be going off.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think SM will stick around if Dan starts pulling the strings. But if we let Kirk go and trade up to take Watson the alarm bells will be going off.

If we do that... I will be the large black tattooed guy at the draft party choking the living shit out of the owner and the GM.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shark, that's a very important fact. If the last 25 years have told us anything, its that finding a really good QB, franchise type QB, is very hard. And its not just us. There are quite a few teams that have been searching for decades, like us, for just a competent QB. There just aren't that many of them. So to think that we can find someone that is as good, or better, than KC is, at best, being really really optimistic

If you don't mind would you put this in it's proper perspective? A very important piece has been left out, and that fact also is important when talking about what you've written and @Shark is referring to. Thanks!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we do that... I will be the large black tattooed guy at the draft party choking the living shit out of the owner and the GM.
Get there early, there going to be an awfully long line!