• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Countdown to Cancellation Thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point - even if the season did "start" again- what would it even look like?

it would, at most, be a very reduced version of the playoffs after abandoning 30% of the regular season. It will be the asterisk of all asterisks.

CP3- a person that has been very powerful in the players union, said the players would need, at a minimum, 3-4 weeks to get ready to even play again.

if the NBA wants to do some 8 team tournament and crown a "champion"- i guess that would be cool- but it will be kind of a joke.
It's 20% of the regular season missed but I know math isn't your strong suit.

Obviously this year will have a big asterisk, but if they do a close to normal playoffs the championship still counts and is earned. I remember Phil Jackson tried to throw some shade on the Spurs 1999 title, since the strike made that year have even fewer regular season games than this one.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 20% of the regular season missed but I know math isn't your strong suit.

Obviously this year will have a big asterisk, but if they do a close to normal playoffs the championship still counts and is earned. I remember Phil Jackson tried to throw some shade on the Spurs 1999 title, since the strike made that year have even fewer regular season games than this one.

I'd even say that there wouldn't be an asterisk even if they had to change the playoff format.

As long as all teams are playing by the same rules and no one has an unfair advantage, there should be no asterisk other than to note why this particular season was different.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CP3- a person that has been very powerful in the players union, said the players would need, at a minimum, 3-4 weeks to get ready to even play again.

This is nothing new. The NBA already discussed a 25 day return plan that includes a 11 days of individual workouts then a 2 week training camp for the teams.

if the NBA wants to do some 8 team tournament and crown a "champion"- i guess that would be cool- but it will be kind of a joke.

I disagree with this as long as it isn't single elimination.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came out before strongly against a single elimination format.

What I would be okay with though is some type of play in option for lower seeds.

Like maybe 5-8 do single elimination for 1 spot. And then 4 plays the winner in another single elimination.

All the while 1-3 get practice/scrimmage time and then full length series resume after that.

Just would hate to see a team that earned a high seed get knocked out without a full series.

Unless I've missed something, the idea of a single elimination tournament isn't even being discussed. I think they would cancel the rest of the season before they went to single elimination.

I can only think of one way that a single elimination would work. That would be if they decided to cancel the season, but still wanted to do "something".

Maybe they take the 16 playoff teams, have a single elimination tournament in a single location and all proceeds from tv revenue, online sale of gear, etc. go to COVID-19 research and relief organizations. They could even have a number that folks could call into during the games to make donations.

I heard today that the NBA is looking into a May 8th start for training camps. That might be a little optimistic, but could be doable. I heard an interview with a doctor and while I don't remember what all he said, but he did say it would be "challenging, but could be doable if they go about it the right way".

Even if it got pushed back a week or 2 from that, they have said that they are willing to play into August or September to get it done, so they should be okay as long as things keep moving in the right direction.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came out before strongly against a single elimination format.

What I would be okay with though is some type of play in option for lower seeds.

Like maybe 5-8 do single elimination for 1 spot. And then 4 plays the winner in another single elimination.

All the while 1-3 get practice/scrimmage time and then full length series resume after that.

Just would hate to see a team that earned a high seed get knocked out without a full series.
some would claim this as a "gotcha" moment, but not me. I say way to keep an open mind on any idea. and, yes, still agree with you single elim for entire playoffs wont happen.

as for the whole asterisk idea by @WiggyRuss ? I mean, yeah, it would be different, but they played about the same number of reg. season games as they did in the last strike year, right?

It's be different, sure, but if my team were involved I'd consider them champs if they won it all. And I'll consider someone else champs as well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless I've missed something, the idea of a single elimination tournament isn't even being discussed. I think they would cancel the rest of the season before they went to single elimination.

I can only think of one way that a single elimination would work. That would be if they decided to cancel the season, but still wanted to do "something".

Maybe they take the 16 playoff teams, have a single elimination tournament in a single location and all proceeds from tv revenue, online sale of gear, etc. go to COVID-19 research and relief organizations. They could even have a number that folks could call into during the games to make donations.

I heard today that the NBA is looking into a May 8th start for training camps. That might be a little optimistic, but could be doable. I heard an interview with a doctor and while I don't remember what all he said, but he did say it would be "challenging, but could be doable if they go about it the right way".

Even if it got pushed back a week or 2 from that, they have said that they are willing to play into August or September to get it done, so they should be okay as long as things keep moving in the right direction.
Pretty sure 5/8 is when guys can come into the building. Just to work out some. No practices with coaches and might even be limited how many can be in at a time.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point - even if the season did "start" again- what would it even look like?

it would, at most, be a very reduced version of the playoffs after abandoning 30% of the regular season. It will be the asterisk of all asterisks.

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying for the majority of the last two months. But the general approach around here is that as long as their team wins it, there's no asterisk.

Though if you're the Nuggets and haven't ever won a title, will anyone on the outside take your 2020 title seriously coming through a cheapened format of single elimination or best of three???

I guess if you're a fan a cheapened title is better than no title, but it's kind of like...Really?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is EXACTLY what I've been saying for the majority of the last two months. But the general approach around here is that as long as their team wins it, there's no asterisk.

Though if you're the Nuggets and haven't ever won a title, will anyone on the outside take your 2020 title seriously coming through a cheapened format of single elimination or best of three???

I guess if you're a fan a cheapened title is better than no title, but it's kind of like...Really?
the NBA season is all about hte marathon and outlasting your competition and the fans and the pressure and the journey.

this is just a disjointed mess. There will likely not even be fans in the building. Home court? itll be a joke.

not to mention the basketball will be nowhere near what we would usually see- it just cant be after the layoff and no practice and no games for so long.

imagine if you played the NBA playoffs/finals in December of a normal seaosn. it would be a disjointed mess.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over 60k deaths and we are about 6 weeks in.

you can say you were wrong at any time.
And the curve is flattening
100k is still possible. The upper bound of your troll is laughable.

I will say I am glad you were too much of a pussy to take the bet, I'd be sweating it. Missed your chance to have me gone for good.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the NBA season is all about hte marathon and outlasting your competition and the fans and the pressure and the journey.

this is just a disjointed mess. There will likely not even be fans in the building. Home court? itll be a joke.

not to mention the basketball will be nowhere near what we would usually see- it just cant be after the layoff and no practice and no games for so long.

imagine if you played the NBA playoffs/finals in December of a normal seaosn. it would be a disjointed mess.
Does the 1999 title have an asterisk? Fewer regular season games played

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the curve is flattening
100k is still possible. The upper bound of your troll is laughable.

I will say I am glad you were too much of a pussy to take the bet, I'd be sweating it. Missed your chance to have me gone for good.
you big mad

you big mad. big wrong. big mad.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you big mad

you big mad. big wrong. big mad.
LOL you and I have been going at it for years, do you really think this works on me? Sounds like you're projecting. Why are you rooting for so many people to die?