• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Countdown to Cancellation Thread

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer will the agony continue? Sad that I won't get to see my Mavs make a deep post season run, but it's starting to look like cancellation time for the season.

Boooo COVID19, I hate you.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is going to be a champion this season. And no it won’t be the Mavs.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is going to be a champion this season. And no it won’t be the Mavs.

No one said the Mavs would win. And NO, there won't be a champion. It's looking like Raptors will still be defending champs for another year.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will have a postseason....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said the Mavs would win. And NO, there won't be a champion. It's looking like Raptors will still be defending champs for another year.
Dumb.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just hoping we can have football.

And that oil goes back to $35.

this shit is bananas

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect something to be announced in the next week or so and it won’t be cancellation.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect something to be announced in the next week or so and it won’t be cancellation.

Yeah with states likely easing off the stay at home orders in early to mid May,I'll be a little surprised if we don't see basketball again this year.

The only problem is lack of testing.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't necessarily rule cancellation out, but the NBA seems pretty committed to getting the playoffs in. There's too much money to be made...especially if they are the first professional league to get started, for them to look at cancellation as anything but an absolute last resort.

From what has been said, they're willing to play into late August/early September to get it done.

They have been exploring all kinds of options. I'm sure they have plans for the earliest day they figure they can get started, all the way to a "drop dead date" where they just cancel the season.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't necessarily rule cancellation out, but the NBA seems pretty committed to getting the playoffs in. There's too much money to be made...especially if they are the first professional league to get started, for them to look at cancellation as anything but an absolute last resort.

From what has been said, they're willing to play into late August/early September to get it done.

They have been exploring all kinds of options. I'm sure they have plans for the earliest day they figure they can get started, all the way to a "drop dead date" where they just cancel the season.

And the new season would start in mid October? That's cutting it close and we'll get shit basketball for the first third of next season.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the new season would start in mid October? That's cutting it close and we'll get shit basketball for the first third of next season.
Better than NO basketball playoffs. This is trivially obvious.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer will the agony continue? Sad that I won't get to see my Mavs make a deep post season run, but it's starting to look like cancellation time for the season.

Boooo COVID19, I hate you.
Im sorry for laughing, but I feel your pain. Its not completely lost though, the owners want to finish the season no matter how long it takes

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next season most likely wont start until December or January

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That...or they might start the season a little later.

Personally, I think they'd be smart to take this opportunity to change the start of the season for good.

The NBA season always starts in October, but folks don't pay as much attention because it's the heart of the NFL and college seasons. Most folks don't start really paying attention to the NBA until Christmas.

If this years playoffs ended late August or early September, they could start next season on Christmas Day, finish the playoffs in late July or in August and then just keep it that way.

It would keep them from having to compete with football and their only competition for much of the season would be baseball and the NBA would be having it's playoffs with the only competition being the dog days of baseball.

I think the tv ratings would be much higher competing with baseball than with football.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that The NBA will need to finish the regular season first so that the players can get to their regular form. That is three weeks and still possible in June.

Then July and August for the playoffs.. Could end in September

Then like Trojan said, boot the next season in mid December or even January and let families enjoy Christmas instead

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point - even if the season did "start" again- what would it even look like?

it would, at most, be a very reduced version of the playoffs after abandoning 30% of the regular season. It will be the asterisk of all asterisks.

CP3- a person that has been very powerful in the players union, said the players would need, at a minimum, 3-4 weeks to get ready to even play again.

if the NBA wants to do some 8 team tournament and crown a "champion"- i guess that would be cool- but it will be kind of a joke.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point - even if the season did "start" again- what would it even look like?

it would, at most, be a very reduced version of the playoffs after abandoning 30% of the regular season. It will be the asterisk of all asterisks.

CP3- a person that has been very powerful in the players union, said the players would need, at a minimum, 3-4 weeks to get ready to even play again.

if the NBA wants to do some 8 team tournament and crown a "champion"- i guess that would be cool- but it will be kind of a joke.

I came out before strongly against a single elimination format.

What I would be okay with though is some type of play in option for lower seeds.

Like maybe 5-8 do single elimination for 1 spot. And then 4 plays the winner in another single elimination.

All the while 1-3 get practice/scrimmage time and then full length series resume after that.

Just would hate to see a team that earned a high seed get knocked out without a full series.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That...or they might start the season a little later.

Personally, I think they'd be smart to take this opportunity to change the start of the season for good.

The NBA season always starts in October, but folks don't pay as much attention because it's the heart of the NFL and college seasons. Most folks don't start really paying attention to the NBA until Christmas.

If this years playoffs ended late August or early September, they could start next season on Christmas Day, finish the playoffs in late July or in August and then just keep it that way.

It would keep them from having to compete with football and there only competition for much of the season would be baseball and the NBA would be having it's playoffs with the only competition being the dog days of baseball.

I think the tv ratings would be much higher competing with baseball than with football.

This.