• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

could make up some ground this week

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't make sense.

Arizona State was not impressive at all.

I'm sorry you don't get credit for beating a terrible Kansas team who Navy would stomp out.

You look at a body of work....not just one week.

:L

All teams are not impressive at times.

Notre Dame has not been impressive at times.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was huge that Arizona State won against Utah. Saturday can't come soon enough

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

All teams are not impressive at times.

Notre Dame has not been impressive at times.

I understand that. I have to think if you want to jump a team who were 4 spots behind Notre Dame or anyteam in this situation, 2 things would need to happen.

1) The team 4 spots ahead lose their game while the other team win their game

2) The team 4 spots below plays great and destroys a good team while the other team struggle against a mediocre team.

Even though ND did struggle against Navy, ASU didn't exactly look like worldbeaters against Utah....Can't see them passing ND but either way it doesn't matter if they did as they get to settle it saturday afternoon.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State beat a ranked opponent they will probably jump Notre Dame and Baylor might be more of a long shot but I wouldn't be shocked.

Arizona State jumping us would be a good thing. It would give us a chance to beat a highly ranked team, which is something we haven't had a chance to do this year (not counting FSU).

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. I have to think if you want to jump a team who were 4 spots behind Notre Dame or anyteam in this situation, 2 things would need to happen.

1) The team 4 spots ahead lose their game while the other team win their game

2) The team 4 spots below plays great and destroys a good team while the other team struggle against a mediocre team.

Even though ND did struggle against Navy, ASU didn't exactly look like worldbeaters against Utah....Can't see them passing ND but either way it doesn't matter if they did as they get to settle it saturday afternoon.

Utah were a top 25 team with only one loss going into the game. I think you are forgetting Haden and Willingham are on the selection committee.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State jumping us would be a good thing. It would give us a chance to beat a highly ranked team, which is something we haven't had a chance to do this year (not counting FSU).

Notre Dame won't get much of a bump from beating them.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame won't get much of a bump from beating them.

I disagree, the biggest knock against ND is that we haven't beaten anyone of consequence. This is our chance to address this issue.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had some Defensive lapses and our own coach helped spark some momentum for the middies with his play calling, other than that though, honestly, the Irish were at no point in severe danger of losing. Even when the Middies took the lead we marched right back down and scored, as well as getting a defensive stop on the middies' next possession.

This is one thing that I think gets lost in translation. Immediately ESPN was reporting a 'scare' or that the Irish had trouble with Navy when in reality they were in a decent rhythm offensively, our coach helped give them momentum and our D got out of sorts, especially around the time Schmidt went down. I'm trying to find the stat but I may have to look it up and determine the results myself but what I wanted to point out is the relative time we have been behind this year compared to being ahead. Even in losing to FSU I'm pretty sure we've only stayed trailing after our next offensive possession a handful of times or less the whole year. Had the TD not been called off because of penalty against FSU that stat would look even bigger than it does because we ended up losing.

That's actually a huge positive for Irish fans to see. That's not usually something we really excel in and I think it shows some positives. I do agree that Kelly can sort of out think himself, I think he should force the opposition to stop a bread&butter play before he just decides to completely change gears. I'm not a fan of his passing on first downs for the most part, especially when they're not higher percentage passes, and even moreso when we're facing a team we should be able to run on for 5 a pop.

ASU is going to be a tough game for us. I think we see the best receiver we've seen yet, I think we can scheme around him but it's also quite clear that someone needs to step-up and take advantage of this opportunity to captain this D. It's going to be the D that takes us where ever we're going for the rest of the season. Could be a blessing in disguise to have us still in-the-hunt but maybe just too far on the outside to make the dance... there's still enough of a chance that they'll have to play hard and have the pressure on to perform well, which will give the younglings some exposure to prep 'em for next year.

If Kelly could just stop from having boneheaded possessions except for very rarely, I'd seriously not have much room at all to have doubt in this team. I like Van Gorder and I like his scheme, but you know damn well when you blitz as often as he likes/wants to that you damn sure better have solid coverage on the backend. I don't mind the underneaths but we have to be more attentive to people slipping by us for easy big plays. That one that Reynolds missed that Jaylon was covering was a good example. He starts clapping his hands at the end of the play as if his 'closing' on the play was what made the pass incomplete; sorry dude had butterfingers and that could've been a costly error. But by and large, I'm happy with Kelly's advancement of the program. I'd much rather see us work our way back into National Championship conversation by earning it and not lucking into it or getting a spot because of the name alone. We need to WIN bowl games and that should be the very next priority next to making the playoffs every year.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather see us work our way back into National Championship conversation by earning it and not lucking into it or getting a spot because of the name alone. We need to WIN bowl games and that should be the very next priority next to making the playoffs every year.
This. Sometimes I think fans forget just where this program was a few years ago, 5 years ago, 10-20 years ago. We seemed to be in a huge decline, with good seasons sprinkled in there. Kelly and co. seemed to have us back on the right track. He isn't perfect, as evident by 2 of the last 3 possessions against Navy, but he's built ND back up to where opposing fans(for the most part) respect them again.

I'd be disappointed in not making the playoffs, but coming into the season I had zero expectations of us making it there. Being in the hunt is a huge positive and I think we all need to embrace that. My opinion of course.