• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Alex Smith be the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously if Smith continues to play this way all season - and if they miraculously make it to the Superbowl and win it - he will not be by any stretch of the imagination the worst QB ever to win a Superbowl.

I guess the article was a sort of interesting read and tried to put Alex Smith into perspective. The title of the article is intentionally deceiving! Ooh wow great journalism.

Bradshaw huh? I've always felt he was overrated, but it's kind of hard to argue with all the Superbowls. Bradshaw was a better QB than Dilfer, duh, but maybe his 1974 was actually worse then Dilfer's 2000... Different eras hard to say.

That whole argument that Dilfer is better than Smith because of 1997 is whack. Smith is a better QB without a doubt in my opinion. Dilfer was not a better QB in 2000 than Smith has proven to be.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just because he wouldnt be the worst qb to win a sb doesnt take away from the fact he isnt very good. Lol

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention Dilfer has thrown less interceptions this season than Alex Smith

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with having two of the best Super Bowl QBs it would be only fair to the rest of the NFL to win one with one of the worst. It's rude of the 49ers to only have the best.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while i think the ravens had a better d and special teams, the teams are winning with the same formula. but i think smith is head and shoulders better than dilfer. if we're on the 10 and 2 mins remaining, smith is at least capable of moving the ball down the field. dilfer? if he had to try it, he wouldn't have been going to disneyland.

every qb has to manage the game and the offense to at least some extent. look at favre, great qb but how many times did he completely blow it for his team? if he played smart like montana did, i think he would have won more championships.

cottontaco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
jim mcmahon??? look up his stats....58% comp %.....started more than 11 games once?!!

cottontaco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
bradshaw career stats... 212 TDs 210 INT, 70.9 rating....

not saying Alex is great or even very good, but he has (since mid 2010) become a solid-smart QB.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I skimmed the article quickly but it appears Dilfer failed to mention he only started about half the season. I believe Tony Banks started the season as the number 1 QB. Not the most critical detail but it should be mentioned.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that there isn't a need for Woodson or Sharpe on this Niner team because our Head Coach is the obvious driver on this bus and the team has seemingly to a man bought into his system 100%.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of worsts...

1983.htm]1983 Washington Redskins Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

1983 Redskins

This team had a +43 in turnover ratio for the year, meaning 61 takeaways and 18 giveaways, which is amazing. In the Superbowl, they gave 3 away and took 2 - only the second game that year with a negative turnover ratio (first game of the year had one giveaway, no takeaways in a 31-30 loss). They also allowed the most rushing yards of the year, surrendered the most points of the season, their score was their lowest, gained the fewest rushing yards, and produced the lowest total yards of the season. Nothing was going for them.

So I guess this begs the question. What was the biggest SB flop of all time? I'm sure there are worst score games, worse stat games total, but how about so 'off of their game' games? This shows how important the TO battle is and how important it is to win at what you had been winning with, not what others may have won with.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
God, I hope so....

I would be VERY pleased to have to argue with people saying he does not deserve his ring...

I agree... with a pre-emptive :bj: (need to beat Calamity to it)...

Isn't it amazing that a guy crushed with the bust label for some 7 years, turns his career around on a dime, because he finally got the one thing all successful QBs really need, GREAT COACHING, and all writers can do is "elevate" his bust success by making this straw man "worst of the best" or "best of the worst" argument.

Its like a friggin caste system, the poor guy can't break out no matter what he does. I'm looking forward to what he can do beyond this season; because, in my mind he his picking up where he left off from the 2006 season.

Wouldn't it be great if that argument had to be made?!?

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... with a pre-emptive :bj: (need to beat Calamity to it)...

Isn't it amazing that a guy crushed with the bust label for some 7 years, turns his career around on a dime, because he finally got the one thing all successful QBs really need, GREAT COACHING, and all writers can do is "elevate" his bust success by making this straw man "worst of the best" or "best of the worst" argument.

Its like a friggin caste system, the poor guy can't break out no matter what he does. I'm looking forward to what he can do beyond this season; because, in my mind he his picking up where he left off from the 2006 season.

Wouldn't it be great if that argument had to be made?!?

Well said. Most fans will never believe in him. It really does not matter whether they do. Some are saying they will change their mind if they get to a SB, but that kind of support is worthless.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well said. Most fans will never believe in him. It really does not matter whether they do. Some are saying they will change their mind if they get to a SB, but that kind of support is worthless.

i believe in him but within the context of 10 games to date. the more real he is, it'll show going forward. the more you play well, the more 'belief' you earn.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while i think the ravens had a better d and special teams, the teams are winning with the same formula. but i think smith is head and shoulders better than dilfer. if we're on the 10 and 2 mins remaining, smith is at least capable of moving the ball down the field. dilfer? if he had to try it, he wouldn't have been going to disneyland.

every qb has to manage the game and the offense to at least some extent. look at favre, great qb but how many times did he completely blow it for his team? if he played smart like montana did, i think he would have won more championships.

But Favre didn't want to win like that. He didn't want to share the glory with any of his teammates. He wanted all of his team's wins to be because of HIS play. One need look no further than the NFCC against the Saints. You're in a dome, in range for your kicker to try to win the game instead of sending it to OT. So what do you do? Throw it directly to the other team. Over Time. Game Over.

What separates Favre from multiple super bowl winning QB's is that he was consumed with his own selfishness. That's why he "retired" so many times. Anybody who believed the NFCC against the Giants was going to be his last game should have had their head examined. Anybody who thought the NFCC against the Saints was going to be his last game is just outright foolish.

I'm actually shocked nobody tried to pick him up this year. I'm certain he would have played somewhere if he were allowed to.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
naw he's old and useless just like wrangler jeans