• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Pride

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was actually mentioned on a local radio show recently, comparing the SEC and the B1G. For the SEC, when one of them wins, they all win. "Great victory for the SEC" and all that. On the other hand, if the B1G loses, it is a condemnation of the conference as a whole. Obviously that is referring to the national media perception.

^^^THIS^^^

I realize that it's the media that tends to drive it, but fans of SEC teams have bought into it.

When USC was having it's run during the Pete Carroll era, all Trojan fans heard was "The PAC is weak", "The PAC is USC and the 9 dwarves", etc., etc. When we would lose to a PAC team, then it was proof that USC was "overrated". Yet, it was only PAC teams that could beat us.

With the SEC, if a top tier SEC loses to another SEC team, then it's proof of how tough the conference is, rather than proof that the losing team was overrated.

Excuses are made for SEC teams that lose bowl games too. It's always "they didn't want to be there", "they were disappointed that they weren't in the NCG". I don't see those same excuses made for teams from other conferences.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just your opinion. Why must you call them "pathetic"? I can think of all kinds of insults for Penn State fans. Especially for those that like wood. However, I don't feel the need to insult others. This is just a CFB message board.
I didn't know I wasn't supposed to give my opinion on a topic in a message board. Please forgive me.

Bring on the insults. I have thick skin and it's very unlikely it will be something I haven't heard before.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of you get all confused on this 'Team SEC' thing...
Let's take a look at how I look at Auburn during the season. My brain knows that if Auburn (or any other team we face) wins their non-conference games and we defeat them, then Bama looks all the better for it.
However, if Auburn loses, my heart kind of smiles, and I know that all the obnoxious Barn fans will have to hang their heads a little lower next time I see them.
Just because I can appreciate that having teams from the SEC win improves our standing doesn't make one Team SEC nor diminish the rivalry with Auburn.
Blindly hating another team even unto detriment of one's own team is not rivalry, it's obsession.

*looks suspiciously at Tigerbait* :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bama fan i take no pride in what they do, but if they win it does make the conference stronger as a whole, which helps Bama if they are in position for a post season game. So showing pride to that level as a Bama fan is what I usually will be all about. Most people dont seem to get that conference strength is important and taking pride in that should not be seen as wrong.

That is reasonable as far as the conference strength item except there are 3-4 teams and everyone else imo. But for those that their team has accomplished nothing it seems foolish. Other than to say we sucked because we are in the best conference.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of you get all confused on this 'Team SEC' thing...
Let's take a look at how I look at Auburn during the season. My brain knows that if Auburn (or any other team we face) wins their non-conference games and we defeat them, then Bama looks all the better for it.
However, if Auburn loses, my heart kind of smiles, and I know that all the obnoxious Barn fans will have to hang their heads a little lower next time I see them.
Just because I can appreciate that having teams from the SEC win improves our standing doesn't make one Team SEC nor diminish the rivalry with Auburn.
Blindly hating another team even unto detriment of one's own team is not rivalry, it's obsession.

*looks suspiciously at Tigerbait* :nod:

Exactly! When UGA plays Clemson, if they win, it helps the SOS for teams in the SEC. If they lose, I have some good shit to rag UGA fans with. And you can bet, if the Dawgs lose to Clemson, I will be all over those no good, nutlicking sumbishes!!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^THIS^^^

I realize that it's the media that tends to drive it, but fans of SEC teams have bought into it.

When USC was having it's run during the Pete Carroll era, all Trojan fans heard was "The PAC is weak", "The PAC is USC and the 9 dwarves", etc., etc. When we would lose to a PAC team, then it was proof that USC was "overrated". Yet, it was only PAC teams that could beat us.

With the SEC, if a top tier SEC loses to another SEC team, then it's proof of how tough the conference is, rather than proof that the losing team was overrated.

Excuses are made for SEC teams that lose bowl games too. It's always "they didn't want to be there", "they were disappointed that they weren't in the NCG". I don't see those same excuses made for teams from other conferences.

:agree: Truth

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are arguing just to argue. Last crack at this from me, but feel free to carry on.
How can you not claim continued dominance when you state that they are still the most dominant? That cannot be done.
I have not stated as a fact that the SEC will necessarily continue its dominance. In fact, I am on the record here stating that college football is cyclical and at some point, for some reason, the cycle will turn. Perhaps we are seeing that in NC loss, and the rise of the PAC. I don't know, and it is my belief that the domination will continue for a variety of reasons. That is my opinion and belief. That is different from you nit wits that say "they finally lost a NC game, their domination is over," ignoring all the other facts from last year that would indicated otherwise. You may be right, but we won't know for a couple more years.

NFL draft? That is an NFL team selecting someone based upon their INDIVIDUAL POTENTIAL. Not picking them because they played in a certain conference. Come on man you know that. That is like people who claim All American or NFL MVP crap. Those are individual honors and not team or conference based. And they never have been.
You truly are dense ... of course it is individual, but we are talking conferences here. If you don't think that the SEC, as a conference, placing more of its players at the next level is an indication of conference strength, then you are hopeless. 2 years ago, the SEC had twice the number of players drafted than the next conference. Personally, do I go "woo hoo, we won the NFL draft this year!" Of course not ... I can't stand the stupid NFL draft. I only use it as an indication of conference strength. Seriously, 1 conference has 70 players drafted, the other 5, and you don't see that as a measure of strength?

Rankings you can use if you want, but even with that you should take it with a grain of salt. South Carolina was not a top 5 team. Neither was Missouri. But those are your and my opinions which mean very little.
My opinions? Really? No, the only individual opinion is yours. As to me, I am relying on sports writers who do this for a living, and coaches, 54 of whom did not coach USCe and had no reason to be biased for USCe. They thought they were a top 5 team, not me. I'll go with the polls on this one. Pre-season polls ... I'm with you on that. EOY polls, you can't dodge them that easily, but nice try. By the way, aren't you the one that just defined a dynasty as top 5 finishes in the POLLS? Oh, but now that I destroyed your argument, polls are no longer valid.

Bowl record that is nice, but means very little since your 2 best teams lost in the biggest bowl games. Not really something to brag about, but I see why you do.
Wait ... aren't you the one that said that the SEC dominance was over because we lost two BCS bowl games? So, it's BCS bowl games that count, but not all the rest? Why do you think I brag about bowl records? All I am doing is answering your question as to how I define the dominance of a conference in college football. The SEC's bowl record, which most people do look at a little more closely because they are typically better OOC matchups, support my proposition.

Listen I do not care what subjective items people use to claim dominance. That is fine, but when the MAIN and MOST IMPORTANT one is not there. Just seems to become a bs argument.
Sure, now that I destroyed your stupid argument you don't care. LOL. Seriously, just admit that you were wrong and/or move on. The funny thing is the SEC might not win a NC for 20 years, the talent will drop off, the SECN will tank, no more players will get drafted, and you could be right ... we just don't know.

And cheering for other conference teams who are rivals to me is absolutely foolish because it does not help the conference at all. And never has.
Really? 8 teams in the pre-season polls and you don't think it works? I hope you and others keep thinking that way!

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! When UGA plays Clemson, if they win, it helps the SOS for teams in the SEC. If they lose, I have some good shit to rag UGA fans with. And you can bet, if the Dawgs lose to Clemson, I will be all over those no good, nutlicking sumbishes!!
Listen to this fucking hypocrite. What happened to "I don't feel the need to insult others"?

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't seem to get how sports boards work.
I do. People get called out for talking shit and being a hypocrite. I said it was pathetic for Bama and Auburn fans to pull for the other to win NC's and his reply was this gem.

"Why must you call them "pathetic"? I can think of all kinds of insults for Penn State fans. Especially for those that like wood. However, I don't feel the need to insult others."

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha, because team SEC REALLY needs the extra SOS boost for an UGA (or any other SEC team) non conf win...

In reality it makes sense. But let's be honest with ourselves here for a moment. That rule does not apply with the SEC.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. People get called out for talking shit and being a hypocrite. I said it was pathetic for Bama and Auburn fans to pull for the other to win NC's and his reply was this gem.

"Why must you call them "pathetic"? I can think of all kinds of insults for Penn State fans. Especially for those that like wood. However, I don't feel the need to insult others."
Like I said, you don't get it. You seem angry and insulting. The fact that he is a Gator notwithstanding, he was kidding when he said what he said. There are lots of us here who will bust each others nuts, but we do it in a kidding, fun, flipping each other shit way. You, not so much.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are arguing just to argue. Last crack at this from me, but feel free to carry on.I have not stated as a fact that the SEC will necessarily continue its dominance. In fact, I am on the record here stating that college football is cyclical and at some point, for some reason, the cycle will turn. Perhaps we are seeing that in NC loss, and the rise of the PAC. I don't know, and it is my belief that the domination will continue for a variety of reasons. That is my opinion and belief. That is different from you nit wits that say "they finally lost a NC game, their domination is over," ignoring all the other facts from last year that would indicated otherwise. You may be right, but we won't know for a couple more years.

You truly are dense ... of course it is individual, but we are talking conferences here. If you don't think that the SEC, as a conference, placing more of its players at the next level is an indication of conference strength, then you are hopeless. 2 years ago, the SEC had twice the number of players drafted than the next conference. Personally, do I go "woo hoo, we won the NFL draft this year!" Of course not ... I can't stand the stupid NFL draft. I only use it as an indication of conference strength. Seriously, 1 conference has 70 players drafted, the other 5, and you don't see that as a measure of strength?

My opinions? Really? No, the only individual opinion is yours. As to me, I am relying on sports writers who do this for a living, and coaches, 54 of whom did not coach USCe and had no reason to be biased for USCe. They thought they were a top 5 team, not me. I'll go with the polls on this one. Pre-season polls ... I'm with you on that. EOY polls, you can't dodge them that easily, but nice try. By the way, aren't you the one that just defined a dynasty as top 5 finishes in the POLLS? Oh, but now that I destroyed your argument, polls are no longer valid.

Wait ... aren't you the one that said that the SEC dominance was over because we lost two BCS bowl games? So, it's BCS bowl games that count, but not all the rest? Why do you think I brag about bowl records? All I am doing is answering your question as to how I define the dominance of a conference in college football. The SEC's bowl record, which most people do look at a little more closely because they are typically better OOC matchups, support my proposition.

Sure, now that I destroyed your stupid argument you don't care. LOL. Seriously, just admit that you were wrong and/or move on. The funny thing is the SEC might not win a NC for 20 years, the talent will drop off, the SECN will tank, no more players will get drafted, and you could be right ... we just don't know.

Really? 8 teams in the pre-season polls and you don't think it works? I hope you and others keep thinking that way!

I have been using what TEAM SECers state nothing more.

And sorry, but no the NFL draft does NOT dictate the strength of a conference because it is soley based on potential and NOTHING MORE!

Did you really just bring up PRESEASON POLLS? Seems you are trying to add another checkpoint on the SEC checklist. Preseason that cracks me the fuck up.

The SEC is 4 teams and then everyone else as far as production and dominance. Bama, LSU, UF, and Auburn. They are the coattails by which all other SEC schools are riding. Sorry, but you cannot dispute that one.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HOLD THE FUCK UP! So if UGA beats Clemson it HELPS the SOS, but when FSU beats them down all of the SEC guys last year said that Clemson was overrated and undeserving of their rank. So only when UGA beats Clemson does it help the SOS? Please explain that one to me.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been using what TEAM SECers state nothing more.

And sorry, but no the NFL draft does NOT dictate the strength of a conference because it is soley based on potential and NOTHING MORE!

Did you really just bring up PRESEASON POLLS? Seems you are trying to add another checkpoint on the SEC checklist. Preseason that cracks me the fuck up.

The SEC is 4 teams and then everyone else as far as production and dominance. Bama, LSU, UF, and Auburn. They are the coattails by which all other SEC schools are riding. Sorry, but you cannot dispute that one.
To be clear, I brought up pre-season polls as something that are worthless ... that's what I meant when I said I am with you on that one. I could easily dispute your last sentence, but I keep handing you your ass and you keep bring up other nonsense, so this discussion has run its course.