• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Pride

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get pulling for a rival to win a NC just because they play in your conference. You recruit against these teams.
"Son, you need to come play at Georgia. You know we are in the SEC where our rivals Auburn, Tennessee and Florida have BCS titles."

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just the same old, worn out argument that happens about three times a year. GTF over it, already! What does it matter to the rest of the CFB world if fans of SEC teams are proud they play in the SEC? Is it just your jealousy that the SEC is considered by most CFB experts to be the best conference in the land? Get over it! Enjoy your own team's brand of football, and don't worry about how others enjoy theirs.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just the same old, worn out argument that happens about three times a year. GTF over it, already! What does it matter to the rest of the CFB world if fans of SEC teams are proud they play in the SEC? Is it just your jealousy that the SEC is considered by most CFB experts to be the best conference in the land? Get over it! Enjoy your own team's brand of football, and don't worry about how others enjoy theirs.
That's it exactly. Quit sucking off your rivals because they've won something.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always admired FSU for that run. Especially because of the difficulty of the schedule. But, who made the definition of "dynasty" Top 5 finishes? Do you equate a "dynasty" with "dominance" because that is what you are writing.

I am sure the term "The Dynasty" was coined by some reporter or writer. It was not coined by FSU. And yes a Dynasty does equate to Dominance if you look up the definitions.

I didn't claim continued dominance. I simply pointed out the fallacy of your statement that not winning 1 NC didn't necessarily end what I and many others perceive as the dominant conference. After the NC loss, the SEC still had 3 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 10 teams, were 7-3 in bowl games with the best win percentage, lead all conferences in the NFL draft, and had 7 of the top 10 recruiting classes. Then there is the whole SECN, which is a big win in a number of ways. While I don't believe in pre-season polls, having 8 of the top 24 would indicate that those purportedly in the know are anticipating continued dominance (although I am going to enjoy watching the PAC this year ... I think we are going to see some really good football from that conference). I might be forgetting a few things, but that works for me.

How can you not claim continued dominance when you state that they are still the most dominant? That cannot be done.

NFL draft? That is an NFL team selecting someone based upon their INDIVIDUAL POTENTIAL. Not picking them because they played in a certain conference. Come on man you know that. That is like people who claim All American or NFL MVP crap. Those are individual honors and not team or conference based. And they never have been.

Rankings you can use if you want, but even with that you should take it with a grain of salt. South Carolina was not a top 5 team. Neither was Missouri. But those are your and my opinions which mean very little.

Bowl record that is nice, but means very little since your 2 best teams lost in the biggest bowl games. Not really something to brag about, but I see why you do.

Listen I do not care what subjective items people use to claim dominance. That is fine, but when the MAIN and MOST IMPORTANT one is not there. Just seems to become a bs argument.

And cheering for other conference teams who are rivals to me is absolutely foolish because it does not help the conference at all. And never has.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is smiles?

Boy he would have had a good time the last week eh?

Had an even better time, actually. Took two weeks on vacation, no sports, didn't even read a sports page or log on to a sports site. Heck, didn't even have connections most of the time. Highly recommend it.

Now I'm ready to actually see some games. I'm plenty nervous about my team, lot's of cross country road games against good teams, something a lot of schools just don't do. 6 road games, 6 home games (all against teams that played in bowls last year). New coach, lots of untested players, I have no idea how well they will do.
:suds:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious of one thing about this issue.

What does it matter that a person or a group or a conference might show pride in who they are?

Have we gotten so full of ourselves that we cannot stand to see someone else enjoy or show pride in their team and the conference they belong to that has shown it is of championship caliber.

Just curious. Maybe a few who posted will give their reasons why they dont like to see someone show pride in something.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious of one thing about this issue.

What does it matter that a person or a group or a conference might show pride in who they are?

Have we gotten so full of ourselves that we cannot stand to see someone else enjoy or show pride in their team and the conference they belong to that has shown it is of championship caliber.

Just curious. Maybe a few who posted will give their reasons why they dont like to see someone show pride in something.

Your team is all good, but the conference things just eludes most people including myself. Why should Bama take pride in what Kentucky,Vandy, or any other team do? It does not make Bama any better as terms of being a great program. That is where people get lost.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your team is all good, but the conference things just eludes most people including myself. Why should Bama take pride in what Kentucky,Vandy, or any other team do? It does not make Bama any better as terms of being a great program. That is where people get lost.

As a Bama fan i take no pride in what they do, but if they win it does make the conference stronger as a whole, which helps Bama if they are in position for a post season game. So showing pride to that level as a Bama fan is what I usually will be all about. Most people dont seem to get that conference strength is important and taking pride in that should not be seen as wrong.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of people here are confusing "pride" with just hoping for what is best for their teams. Personally, I don't take any pride from the accomplishments of other teams in my conference. I do, however, want the teams in the B1G to win their OOC games, because that makes Nebraska look better if we win the conference. That's not really conference pride.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being team SEC is fine I suppose. But if you wave that banner wave it for THE WHOLE conference.

Not just Bama. But also Kentucky, Vandy, and when say an SEC team geta hammered.

That is what I find funny. When one loses the SEC defensiveness and flag waving disappears.

Do i like it? No. But who cares. Each fan can root for what they want. It is their prerogative and theirs alone.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being team SEC is fine I suppose. But if you wave that banner wave it for THE WHOLE conference.

Not just Bama. But also Kentucky, Vandy, and when say an SEC team geta hammered.

That is what I find funny. When one loses the SEC defensiveness and flag waving disappears.

Do i like it? No. But who cares. Each fan can root for what they want. It is their prerogative and theirs alone.

fuck you and your rules man!!!!

sec :happy:

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is predominately a southern thing, and in my opinion, stems from factors outside of football. from early on southerners are led to believe that we are inferior to our northern and western counterparts. we aren't as smart, our cities aren't as big, we talk funny. but when it comes to football, the south is on level playing ground. southerners take pride in our best export and pimp the hell out of it because it is one of the few things on a national level we do better than the rest of the country. i personally am not a fan of "team sec", but living in the south i completely understand how a person can grow up that way. it's just a southern thing that most people outside the south just don't understand. kind of like shrimp and grits......

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was actually mentioned on a local radio show recently, comparing the SEC and the B1G. For the SEC, when one of them wins, they all win. "Great victory for the SEC" and all that. On the other hand, if the B1G loses, it is a condemnation of the conference as a whole. Obviously that is referring to the national media perception.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it just fine. I've seen Bama fans pulling for Auburn to win NC's and vice versa. That is pathetic.

That is just your opinion. Why must you call them "pathetic"? I can think of all kinds of insults for Penn State fans. Especially for those that like wood. However, I don't feel the need to insult others. This is just a CFB message board.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is predominately a southern thing, and in my opinion, stems from factors outside of football. from early on southerners are led to believe that we are inferior to our northern and western counterparts. we aren't as smart, our cities aren't as big, we talk funny. but when it comes to football, the south is on level playing ground. southerners take pride in our best export and pimp the hell out of it because it is one of the few things on a national level we do better than the rest of the country. i personally am not a fan of "team sec", but living in the south i completely understand how a person can grow up that way. it's just a southern thing that most people outside the south just don't understand. kind of like shrimp and grits......
Born and raised in the north.... will eat my weight in those.