• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Pride

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always told by SEC guys the the dominance was the BCS bowl records. Well this past year they were 0-2. Dominance would dictate no lapse in winning. Instead a lapse occurred so how can it continue?
So, one SEC guys speaks for us all. :L

The SEC dominance is 7 straight NCs, dominating the NFL draft, dominating the recruiting, having 5 teams in the top 10 at the end of the year, starting off this year with 1/3 of the top 25, dominating baseball, (unfortunately, not dominating hoops, although with Ky and UF we got something going for the conference, but we definitely need to do better in hoops), and dominating a lot of secondary sports like swimming, golf, tennis, track and field, etc. And then the SECN. Those are all signs of the SEC dominance that either arose from the Team SEC concept, or caused it. In all most posts, I always acknowledge the cyclical nature of college football. But, 1 year of no NC doesn't swing the cycle.

As to the Bowls, the dominance didn't happen in a year, it doesn't end in a year. Moverover, the SEC still had the best bowl record IIRC. What, and 5 teams in the top 10, or something like that.

My thoughts on it, who was tired of all the B1G BS in the 90s and early 00s.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey FSUman ..

We should try it out this year, just to see how it feels. What ya think?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet during this period of SEC "dominance," they barely had above .500 against the Big Ten in bowl games. And that's with a homefield advantage.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Dawgs and if that doesn't happen Go Vols and Go Gators and Roll Tide and Go Tigers and Tigers and Tigers...

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet during this period of SEC "dominance," they barely had above .500 against the Big Ten in bowl games. And that's with a homefield advantage.
Yeah, that makes sense ... let's throw out the overall dominance of the conference because our bowl record against one conference is a winning record, just not by that much. Good god. Does the term statistically insignificant mean anything to you? I kind of doubt it.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, one SEC guys speaks for us all. :L

The SEC dominance is 7 straight NCs, dominating the NFL draft, dominating the recruiting, having 5 teams in the top 10 at the end of the year, starting off this year with 1/3 of the top 25, dominating baseball, (unfortunately, not dominating hoops, although with Ky and UF we got something going for the conference, but we definitely need to do better in hoops), and dominating a lot of secondary sports like swimming, golf, tennis, track and field, etc. And then the SECN. Those are all signs of the SEC dominance that either arose from the Team SEC concept, or caused it. In all most posts, I always acknowledge the cyclical nature of college football. But, 1 year of no NC doesn't swing the cycle.

As to the Bowls, the dominance didn't happen in a year, it doesn't end in a year. Moverover, the SEC still had the best bowl record IIRC. What, and 5 teams in the top 10, or something like that.

My thoughts on it, who was tired of all the B1G BS in the 90s and early 00s.

I think you should give yourself a :L. I did not say one guy. I actually said "SEC guys". Notice the plural use of the word guy.

Dominance is not made in one year, but it does end in one year. Kind of like FSU's Dynasty ended at 14 yrs.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that makes sense ... let's throw out the overall dominance of the conference because our bowl record against one conference is a winning record, just not by that much. Good god. Does the term statistically insignificant mean anything to you? I kind of doubt it.

Ok, how about a losing record against the Big East in the same time period?

Face it, this "dominance" of the SEC was based solely on the success of a handful of schools (like Alabama) with the rest of the conference riding their coattails.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you should give yourself a :L. I did not say one guy. I actually said "SEC guys". Notice the plural use of the word guy.

Dominance is not made in one year, but it does end in one year. Kind of like FSU's Dynasty ended at 14 yrs.

Damn it, I need a drink, I keep quoting the wrong person.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, so a couple of random SEC guys speak for us all.

FSU's good run did in fact end after 14 years, but we didn't know that and couldn't say that until a decade later. Therefore, you can't say the one loss ended it. What it the SEC wins again this year. Is that a new era of dominance, or the continuation of the previous?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, how about a losing record against the Big East in the same time period?

Face it, this "dominance" of the SEC was based solely on the success of a handful of schools (like Alabama) with the rest of the conference riding their coattails.

tumblr_m6qze2TPor1qa6g1m.gif

AMEN!

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so a couple of random SEC guys speak for us all.

FSU's good run did in fact end after 14 years, but we didn't know that and couldn't say that until a decade later. Therefore, you can't say the one loss ended it. What it the SEC wins again this year. Is that a new era of dominance, or the continuation of the previous?

Couple of random guys. So it went from one to now a couple. Try reading every argument on the Hoop. EVERY single SEC fan backs up the notion in those threads. Not just s couple, but every SEC fan on the Hoop and every one I have ever met.

As to FSU yes you could. The dynasty was due to year in and year out top 5 success with NO LAPSES. Hence why it ended in 2000. When there is a lapse you can no longer claim continued dominance.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we have it?

Why do we wear it on our sleeve and protect it with such ferocity?

Just a fan!!! I love the Wolverines, next in-state team (love ya Sparty), then Big Ten, after that every other team ... and last ohio state.

SEC is the best, but I don't care. BIG TEN

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

I admit, the thought of pulling for ya'll made me throw up in my mouth a little too, but I was willing to get past it for the sake of the "bigger picture."

The only big picture I worry about is this...

47a5ff62ac7586787b6300ffc02a7737.jpg

I have not and will not EVER pull for any ACC team. No matter what they are playing in or who they are playing. When Miami and UF played this past year I was praying that the game would end in a tie so neither team could get a W.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only big picture I worry about is this...

47a5ff62ac7586787b6300ffc02a7737.jpg

I have not and will not EVER pull for any ACC team. No matter what they are playing in or who they are playing. When Miami and UF played this past year I was praying that the game would end in a tie so neither team could get a W.

lol. I do that when USC and UGA play.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to the topic at hand, as a Big Ten guy, sure I will root for other Big Ten teams in non-conference games, especially bowl games. And yes that even means Ohio State. I was raised to root for team first, conference second.

That being said, I really hold no emotion investment in those games. It's more of if I'm am going to root for a team while watching a game, might as well root for the fellow Big Ten team. But win or lose, afterwards I go about my day, you won't see me chanting "Big Ten, Big Ten!"

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of random guys. So it went from one to now a couple. Try reading every argument on the Hoop. EVERY single SEC fan backs up the notion in those threads. Not just s couple, but every SEC fan on the Hoop and every one I have ever met.

As to FSU yes you could. The dynasty was due to year in and year out top 5 success with NO LAPSES. Hence why it ended in 2000. When there is a lapse you can no longer claim continued dominance.
No one, I obviously read "guy" not "guys' but my point is still valid.

You forgot what you wrote: "I was always told by SEC guys the the dominance was the BCS bowl records. Well this past year they were 0-2. Dominance would dictate no lapse in winning. Instead a lapse occurred so how can it continue?" EVERY SEC fan does not believe this ... and certainly the SEC fans here don't. They look at everything like I listed.

You don't get the point that you didn't know it was over in 2000. I will let you figure it out on your own.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one, I obviously read "guy" not "guys' but my point is still valid.

You forgot what you wrote: "I was always told by SEC guys the the dominance was the BCS bowl records. Well this past year they were 0-2. Dominance would dictate no lapse in winning. Instead a lapse occurred so how can it continue?" EVERY SEC fan does not believe this ... and certainly the SEC fans here don't. They look at everything like I listed.

You don't get the point that you didn't know it was over in 2000. I will let you figure it out on your own.
I fully know what I wrote.

I understood at the end of that season they were no longer a DYNASTY since the dynasty was dictated by top 5 finishes which has yet to be repeated and will probably never be repeated.

Now you claim continued dominance. What is that dominance indicated by? What are your metrics of dominance? Championships, Big bowl wins, or something else. Since you claim I am not understanding what the SEC guys see as dominance explain it to me.