• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll have to come back to this later, but here's a question: What do you think is the most ridiculous aspect of this explanation? There are so so many choices.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Shanaplan :pout:

Not so fast. Their inability to score was on full display Saturday, and come 2016 when good teams start gearing up for playoff hockey, they will be in tough to win more than a handful.

The plan is not necessarily to get Matthews (although that would be nice), but to build up a nice supply of draft picks, along with, letting young guys develop at their own speed. From 1000 miles away, it looks like the Plan is still on track :thumb:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so fast. Their inability to score was on full display Saturday, and come 2016 when good teams start gearing up for playoff hockey, they will be in tough to win more than a handful.

The plan is not necessarily to get Matthews (although that would be nice), but to build up a nice supply of draft picks, along with, letting young guys develop at their own speed. From 1000 miles away, it looks like the Plan is still on track :thumb:
I don't really care about Matthews. I'm not as huge as everybody seems to be about Chychrun, but literally any of the other guys being bandied about as top fivers would be fine with me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to come back to this later, but here's a question: What do you think is the most ridiculous aspect of this explanation? There are so so many choices.
It's almost a complete exercise in ridiculousness. It's Simmons at his Simmonsest.

Having said that, I don't think he's wrong about the Shanahan part. Wouldn't even shock me if Shanahan gave him some crumbs to work with.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shameless bump to keep Canada's team on Page 1 where it belongs.

Oh, and Bernier was sent to the minors. Now I am worried that mgmt is losing focus on the Plan.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shameless bump to keep Canada's team on Page 1 where it belongs.

Oh, and Bernier was sent to the minors. Now I am worried that mgmt is losing focus on the Plan.
Bernier is a big part of that plan. They still had hope he could be a legit #1, or at the very least be attractive trade-wise.

Right now, he's the most overpaid goalie in the NHL which is saying something when the Dallas Stars exist.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bernier is a big part of that plan. They still had hope he could be a legit #1, or at the very least be attractive trade-wise.

Right now, he's the most overpaid goalie in the NHL which is saying something when the Dallas Stars exist.

I know, sending Bernier is NOT the Plan. Playing Bernier constantly was IMO a big part of the plan, for the reasons you state. He either plays well and can be traded for value, OR, he sucks and we stay down at the EDM/CGY end of the standings. Sending him down for conditioning does neither. Boo !

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, sending Bernier is NOT the Plan. Playing Bernier constantly was IMO a big part of the plan, for the reasons you state. He either plays well and can be traded for value, OR, he sucks and we stay down at the EDM/CGY end of the standings. Sending him down for conditioning does neither. Boo !
The Leafs are going to lose regardless of who's in net. The team just doesn't have anything resembling an offence capable of keeping them anywhere higher than 26th in the league.

But throwing Bernier in there to get pummelled night-in night-out doesn't do anybody any favours. He's better off conditioning at the Ex for a week and the Leafs are better off letting Reimer and Sparks give it a go/up their own values. Chances are Reimer isn't here come March 1 so letting him pump up his own value is just fine by me.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leafs are going to lose regardless of who's in net. The team just doesn't have anything resembling an offence capable of keeping them anywhere higher than 26th in the league.

But throwing Bernier in there to get pummelled night-in night-out doesn't do anybody any favours. He's better off conditioning at the Ex for a week and the Leafs are better off letting Reimer and Sparks give it a go/up their own values. Chances are Reimer isn't here come March 1 so letting him pump up his own value is just fine by me.

Ah. Makes sense.:thumb:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-2 Auston Matthews points for the Flames last night (lol)

/Oh, who am I kidding, the Oilers will be getting him anyways, it really doesn't matter what the Leafs or Flames do.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-2 Auston Matthews points for the Flames last night (lol)

/Oh, who am I kidding, the Oilers will be getting him anyways, it really doesn't matter what the Leafs or Flames do.
Yep. I'm far more focused on the Puljujarvi's, Tkachuk's, Laine's, Keller's and Chychrun's than him.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't let this be like when Perry and Getzlaf waited until fucking March to re-sign, or when the Sedins made that overcooked orangutan fly to Sweden and then re-signed while he was mid-40 oz....er...flight.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stamkos doesn't seem to be the same player post broken leg.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure if it got posted anywhere on these boards but Kypreos was talking yesterday about how the leafs would make sure their corporate partners would do deals with stamkos to supplement the contract he got from the leafs

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure if it got posted anywhere on these boards but Kypreos was talking yesterday about how the leafs would make sure their corporate partners would do deals with stamkos to supplement the contract he got from the leafs

Going back to the 90's, Doug Gilmour's (another local-ish guy who starred on contending Leafs teams) face was literally everywhere around here.

If Stamkos came here, and within 2 years the Leafs were contending again it would make Crosby's exposure here circa 2006-2014 look like child's play.