• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a related note, any thoughts out there on Jeff Gorton?
From what I've read, he's largely responsible for the current Rangers team.

That would also mean he's largely responsible for the lack of first round draft picks that makes the Leafs' history in that regard look successful. That is the last thing this team needs.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock needs to hurry up and make up his mind (lol)

/I'm kidding, he's earned the right to take as much time as he needs, once that domino falls though, I think we'll see a Theo Fleury of moves.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock needs to hurry up and make up his mind (lol)

/I'm kidding, he's earned the right to take as much time as he needs, once that domino falls though, I think we'll see a Theo Fleury of moves.
His mind could be made up already. Apparently Ken Holland - as is his right - is not granting any other teams permission to speak to Babs though. So Babs may have told Holland that he's leaving but Holland is hoping he can persuade him between now and June 30.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His mind could be made up already. Apparently Ken Holland - as is his right - is not granting any other teams permission to speak to Babs though. So Babs may have told Holland that he's leaving but Holland is hoping he can persuade him between now and June 30.

And with all this talk of compensation for personnel under contract ( did EDM and BOS ever sort out Chia ?), there is no way anyone is going to sign him or even allude to collude with Babcock until after his contract is up.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only risk of waiting for Babcock is that other coaches may get snapped up, but there's also the chance other coaches wait it out too knowing the dominoes are going to fall when Babs does hit the market.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only risk of waiting for Babcock is that other coaches may get snapped up, but there's also the chance other coaches wait it out too knowing the dominoes are going to fall when Babs does hit the market.
That and - while none of them are gonna get the same kinda money he will - his contract is going to cause inflation in coaching salaries.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One potential sticking point: Phaneuf has a no-trade clause in his contract. But a league source said Phaneuf would agree to a deal involving Detroit. "He wants to get out of that nut house in Toronto," the source said.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats pretty funny. Phaneuf for: Weiss, a bottom tier defenseman and a lesser prospect. Oh, and TOR keeps $2 mil of salary.

If that was the deal on the table in March and Nonis turned it down, I will give him props.
If the Leafs have to take Weiss, there's no way in hell they should be eating salary even if Dion's contract has three extra years on it. I'd rather eat $2 mil and get a good prospect in return.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One potential sticking point: Phaneuf has a no-trade clause in his contract. But a league source said Phaneuf would agree to a deal involving Detroit. "He wants to get out of that nut house in Toronto," the source said.

To paraphrase a truism: "Takes one to live in one"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To paraphrase a truism: "Takes one to live in one"
Dion's more of a pizza guy:

page25_v1.jpg

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the playoffs, particularly Round 2 (and I am sure the next two rounds will be the same) just shows how fricking far off the Leafs are from this level of hockey.

No chance they will need the Gardiner for a future parade route. That sucka will be torn down years before the Leafs get a sniff at the Cup.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the playoffs, particularly Round 2 (and I am sure the next two rounds will be the same) just shows how fricking far off the Leafs are from this level of hockey.

No chance they will need the Gardiner for a future parade route. That sucka will be torn down years before the Leafs get a sniff at the Cup.
They can make the playoffs within 3 years, they just have to get everything right.

In terms of contention, it would depend on how those 3 years go. If they nail some second and later round picks, they could easily be a Cup contender by 2019. Historically, that hasn't been the case so take that for what you will, but there have been bigger ground-up rebuilds that have progressed along that timeline.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shouldnt Canada's team be in quotes.....

could you imagine if 18 year old Sam Bennent was on the Leafs

holy fuck Id be found in a clock tower

18 years old