• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We grew up in the same town, know the same people (we're quite some years apart so I don't know him very well). He's a very family-oriented person, spends his entire summers with family and friends from home. He loves being here. Who knows what happens in 3 years, but if the Leafs are on the up and he feels like a change from NYC, it wouldn't surprise me, or in the least surprise me far less than if Stamkos, who is better, were to sign here (he isn't).

Also, that last part is preposterous. What fanbase doesn't expect the world and more from their superstars? That's like saying whoever drafts McDavid is setting him up to fail because he'll never be good enough for them.

I don't know?? If the Sabres are fortunate enough to get McDavid having Evander Kane on his line might not be the smartest move. From a talent standpoint it's fine. From a lockeroom standpoint not so much.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The structure of the deal. The biggest problem with the deal isn't even the term or the salary, it's the structure. As we're seeing, with the Toronto deal he's pretty much fully protected from being bought out. So basically he would have gotten more money from the Edmonton deal if he'd stayed valuable enough to hang around for all of it, but that's not the only possible scenario.

Essentially he traded a little bit of upside for a lot of security.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the media being an issue as far as players not necessarily wanting to play in Toronto, but here's the rub, if I was a superstar player & had the chance to play their I'd think long & hard about saying yes. The reason is simple, if you're the catalyst of the next Cup winning team in Toronto it would be so unbelievable it's kind of scary.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Buyout costs him what out of his pocket,1/3?

Let's say he signs a "normal" deal for 7 years 42 million. After a year and a half the team wants out. So he's already been paid $9 million, plus two-thirds of what's left is $22 million. So that's $31 million overall, or $5.75 million less than he would have gotten from the Toronto deal (or $3+ million less than a Toronto deal bought out) Of course he would also be free to sign somewhere else but is it reasonable at this point to expect $5.75 million in future earnings for him on the open market?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say he signs a "normal" deal for 7 years 42 million. After a year and a half the team wants out. So he's already been paid $9 million, plus two-thirds of what's left is $22 million. So that's $31 million overall, or $5.75 million less than he would have gotten from the Toronto deal (or $3+ million less than a Toronto deal bought out) Of course he would also be free to sign somewhere else but is it reasonable at this point to expect $5.75 million in future earnings for him on the open market?

But is the crux of the exercise that Edmonton would buy him out but Toronto won't?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto wouldn't get the same savings from buying him out because of how the Toronto contract is structured.

I might just be an idiot and sorry for that, but why would Edmonton's contract with him be different? Was Toronto's contract with him front-loaded in terms of actual salary? Even considering that, wouldn't Edmonton's best interest be to have done that as well, since they anticipated that down the road they'd have much more salary to fit in if everything had gone to plan there?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might just be an idiot and sorry for that, but why would Edmonton's contract with him be different? Was Toronto's contract with him front-loaded in terms of actual salary? Even considering that, wouldn't Edmonton's best interest be to have done that as well, since they anticipated that down the road they'd have much more salary to fit in if everything had gone to plan there?

Most of the money in the Toronto contract is written up as signing bonuses, which are not eligible for buyout. The actual salary in the deal is very low (about a million bucks a year or so), so there's almost no savings to be had by buying the deal out. That's why it won't happen. Like I said before, he's basically traded a little bit of upside that he probably wouldn't have reached anyway for a lot more security. Here's a piece describing the deal a little further since capgeek is gone

Mirtle: David Clarkson and his buyout-proof contract - The Globe and Mail

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the money in the Toronto contract is written up as signing bonuses, which are not eligible for buyout. The actual salary in the deal is very low (about a million bucks a year or so), so there's almost no savings to be had by buying the deal out. That's why it won't happen. Like I said before, he's basically traded a little bit of upside that he probably wouldn't have reached anyway for a lot more security. Here's a piece describing the deal a little further since capgeek is gone

Mirtle: David Clarkson and his buyout-proof contract - The Globe and Mail

Ohhhhkay. Got it now.

FWIW, by the time the Leafs are relevant again his contract will be just about done.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhkay. Got it now.

FWIW, by the time the Leafs are relevant again his contract will be just about done.

Brother, I hope it is that soon. I was 5 when they last won the Cup, and, in despair, I am about to go buy a Rinne jersey. I am so sick of cheering this mess.:bawling:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brother, I hope it is that soon. I was 5 when they last won the Cup, and, in despair, I am about to go buy a Rinne jersey. I am so sick of cheering this mess.:bawling:

Don't worry, we're just putting our faith in a guy who's never managed a team before, two former OHL GM's, and god-only-knows what kind of scouts. Should be fine.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, on another forum I frequent, someone was relaying a story about the mayor of Quebec City. In describing the mayor, he said "think of a sober Rob Ford."

I didn't know I'd be expected to divide by zero.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, on another forum I frequent, someone was relaying a story about the mayor of Quebec City. In describing the mayor, he said "think of a sober Rob Ford."

I didn't know I'd be expected to divide by zero.

He goes into the negatives because French.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could never see him approving that one.

The Stars could make sense.

Stars were the only team on there that makes sense to me as well. Return is a draft pick and middle range prospect? I truly don't know his value