• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not horrible, just not where he belongs.

According to who? The fans of Toronto? The clamoring for JT in Toronto is outrageous. You realize you're setting him up to fail if he ever does decide to jump ship? He'll never be good enough for you.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not horrible, just not where he belongs.

When Tavares becomes an UFA, Bailey, Grabovski, & Kulimen come off the books as well. That's 12.5M off the books along with JT's 5.5M cap hit. They can offer him an 8 year 80 Million dollar contract if they want without any problems with the cap.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Tavares becomes an UFA, Bailey, Grabovski, & Kulimen come off the books as well. That's 12.5M off the books along with JT's 5.5M cap hit. They can offer him an 8 year 80 Million dollar contract if they want without any problems with the cap.

Our GM is terrible.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that's why the past decade has flown by for me. I have to give pause sometimes while writing down the date because it seems so unbelievable sometimes that it's 2015.

I hear ya.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to who? The fans of Toronto? The clamoring for JT in Toronto is outrageous. You realize you're setting him up to fail if he ever does decide to jump ship? He'll never be good enough for you.

We grew up in the same town, know the same people (we're quite some years apart so I don't know him very well). He's a very family-oriented person, spends his entire summers with family and friends from home. He loves being here. Who knows what happens in 3 years, but if the Leafs are on the up and he feels like a change from NYC, it wouldn't surprise me, or in the least surprise me far less than if Stamkos, who is better, were to sign here (he isn't).

Also, that last part is preposterous. What fanbase doesn't expect the world and more from their superstars? That's like saying whoever drafts McDavid is setting him up to fail because he'll never be good enough for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I dont know. A good chunk of the fanbase still remembers Mike Palmateer fondly.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canadian golfer (and Flames fan) Graham DeLaet has some fun on his twitter account recently:

Graham DeLaet @GrahamDeLaet · Feb 7

I will puke if the Leafs end up with McDavid.

Then one guy responded:

Mike @mpand91 · Feb 7
.@GrahamDeLaet Quit whining. You don't know #### about hockey. Flames still suck. So does your golf game. Go shove your putter.

Which DeLaet loved:

Graham DeLaet @GrahamDeLaet · Feb 7
Fun day on Twitter. Lots of laughs. Some take things a little too seriously, but all in good fun. You guys are beauties. #goshoveyourputter

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To think that MacT offered David Clarkson a 7 year 6 million per season contract and Clarkson decided to take less money to sign in Toronto.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To think that MacT offered David Clarkson a 7 year 6 million per season contract and Clarkson decided to take less money to sign in Toronto.

Seriously, though - of all the UFA's who said no to Toronto over the years, yeah some because of the media pressure bullshit but mostly because the team was fucking awful. They make the playoffs, only lose in the most insane circumstances I've seen in sport, then finally are an attractive prospect to a free agent class that was highlighted by...David Clarkson.

:dizzy:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll bet if you calculate an actual expected value the Toronto deal comes out better as long as the probability of buyout isn't set incredibly low.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet if you calculate an actual expected value the Toronto deal comes out better as long as the probability of buyout isn't set incredibly low.

You've lost me. Unless you're referring to taxes, which I'm just going to assume are way lower in conservative-as-fuck Alberta than they are in McGuinty/Wynne land.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Better = more value = better for Clarkson

Should have used a "better" word

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've lost me. Unless you're referring to taxes, which I'm just going to assume are way lower in conservative-as-fuck Alberta than they are in McGuinty/Wynne land.

The structure of the deal. The biggest problem with the deal isn't even the term or the salary, it's the structure. As we're seeing, with the Toronto deal he's pretty much fully protected from being bought out. So basically he would have gotten more money from the Edmonton deal if he'd stayed valuable enough to hang around for all of it, but that's not the only possible scenario.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Toronto deal be better for him, excluding the fact he doesn't have to live in Edmonton?

Because if he'd signed a deal with another team with a different payout structure he'd have already been bought out.