• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid second liner? I'll give you that. Good numbers or not, though, there's a difference between being a first-liner on a non-playoff team and where you fit on a playoff team. Of course, if Ottawa had better goaltending last season they probably would've been a playoff team anyway so...

Needless to say, I'd still like to have Macarthur on the Leafs at his cap number. My beef was more with the Grabovski brigade. I see the possession numbers, and that's decent enough and a fair argument but he also only has 13 points. Know who else has 13 points? David Clarkson. Leafs might've been better off with him, but they were also better off without his contract. The fact they went and acquired even worse contracts doesn't negate that fact.

I haven't watched as many Islander games since I moved away so I haven't seen much of him recently, but in glancing at his numbers they suggest he's been playing a low-event game. The Islanders haven't scored as much with him on the ice (only 2.09 even strength goals per 60 minutes) but it's even better at the other end, where he's only had 1.82 per 60 scored against him. This isn't PDO driven either as he's right at 999, although the two individual components explain some of the low event numbers (team shooting % of 6.6 and sv% of .933). I mean when you think about it, wouldn't a defensively responsible centre who can get the puck out of the defensive zone and win the neutral zone and rarely get scored on help this team? For contrast, the Leafs are allowing over an entire goal more at even strength per 60 with either Bozak or Kadri on the ice (Kadri's lines are at least scoring enough to keep up). It may not be flashy, but I think some guys who can play simple low event (but winning) hockey could be a real benefit, don't you?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched as many Islander games since I moved away so I haven't seen much of him recently, but in glancing at his numbers they suggest he's been playing a low-event game. The Islanders haven't scored as much with him on the ice (only 2.09 even strength goals per 60 minutes) but it's even better at the other end, where he's only had 1.82 per 60 scored against him. This isn't PDO driven either as he's right at 999, although the two individual components explain some of the low event numbers (team shooting % of 6.6 and sv% of .933). I mean when you think about it, wouldn't a defensively responsible centre who can get the puck out of the defensive zone and win the neutral zone and rarely get scored on help this team? For contrast, the Leafs are allowing over an entire goal more at even strength per 60 with either Bozak or Kadri on the ice (Kadri's lines are at least scoring enough to keep up). It may not be flashy, but I think some guys who can play simple low event (but winning) hockey could be a real benefit, don't you?

Not disagreeing with you at all, but like I said his contract was terrible and what the Leafs did with the saved cap space doesn't negate that. Some people see cutting him loose as a nail in the coffin, I see it more as 1 part smart followed by 2 parts stupid.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Toronto Maple Leafs recalled forward William Nylander from Modo of the Swedish Hockey League on Monday and assigned him to the AHL Toronto Marlies. The 18-year-old recorded 20 points (eight goals, 12 assists) in 21 games for Modo this season.

The kid looks damn good (and in my opinion a much better prospect than Fredrik Gauthier. Of course, I'm not an insider like Darren Dreger).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Toronto Maple Leafs recalled forward William Nylander from Modo of the Swedish Hockey League on Monday and assigned him to the AHL Toronto Marlies. The 18-year-old recorded 20 points (eight goals, 12 assists) in 21 games for Modo this season.

The kid looks damn good (and in my opinion a much better prospect than Fredrik Gauthier. Of course, I'm not an insider like Darren Dreger).

Guessing he'll be with the big club next season. Hope he progresses well in the A. Has a lot of work to do on his game still, though...

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is that he can go to the A at 18?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been others? Carter Ashton wasn't a Leaf draft pick...

Ross is a wasted pick anyway. Toffoli went four spots later...:doh:

He's going to look really nice on the Tyler Biggs line one day :wink:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been others? Carter Ashton wasn't a Leaf draft pick...

Ross is a wasted pick anyway. Toffoli went four spots later...:doh:

Sucks.

Toffoli wasn't getting picked the Leafs anyway though.

Ottawa 67s pedigree.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another strike against a Leaf pick. At least according to Grapes. :hockeysmile:

"Why didn't they take the dang Ontarya boy, a good Charanna kid who's gettin all them dang points out in Calafornya?! Because Brian Burke needed another American to come here and play like the Frenchies do, that's why!"

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Why didn't they take the dang Ontarya boy, a good Charanna kid who's gettin all them dang points out in Calafornya?! Because Brian Burke needed another American to come here and play like the Frenchies do, that's why!"

"He needed moar truckulance and everythink like that!"