• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've become much more concerned about their drafting, their lack of prospects being developed and the lack of picks. I think they have to let Clifford walk based solely on the fact that giving up a second round pick to keep him is insane. With Barrie walking they've now let five high-profile UFA's walk out the door in the span of two years with zero compensation and zero success to show for their "own rentals". Combined with the number of second round picks they traded during the Lou era the farm thinned out pretty quickly.

Yeah but then again Mark Hunter is gone now :wink:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitting on Simmons aside that wasn’t a very good exit presser for Dubas.

That Ceci defence especially... if he honestly sees good in Ceci then he must see bad in Rielly. If that's the case he basically just did what GMJR did with Schultz/JJ in a more nuanced way. Which is insane - Ceci was fucking horrible.

Yeah but it doesn't do him any good to talk shit about Ceci even if he's on his way out.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but it doesn't do him any good to talk shit about Ceci even if he's on his way out.
Saying something as generic as "it just wasn't the right fit here" or something sounds a lot better than trying to justify the atrociously-bad play of an atrociously-bad player using "metrics".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked that but FWIW Carlo Colaiacovo is not a good hockey analyst or...whatever it is he does every morning with Michael Landsberg who isn’t a good anything.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Leafs have $1-2 mil to give Joe Thornton. This can't be real lol

It's the same guy that said they were trading Marner for Jones.

I am thinking that Canada missed his house when cleaning up lead paint.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was posted at PPP and after reading it I had to take a couple of minutes to re-focus. They haven't won anything, not even a playoff round, but the last 5 years have pretty much been as good as the Leafs have been, fun to watch, and at no point until this season have they been as far behind the pack as they were in the decade preceding the rebuild. And yet...

One thing I’ve noticed during this rebuild is how the Leafs always fall into the worst possible scenario, regardless of who’s in charge. They always did, but for like a decade the team was bad so we didn’t notice. Now this doesn’t excuse them losing, but this team sure falls into the worst possible scenarios for like everything:
  • Lose McDavid sweepstakes on the last ball.
  • Sign coach and GM from other teams, pay compensation to former teams. NHL changes rules right after to no longer do this.
  • Draft the big 3. Trade back at drafts, making the most out of your picks. Traded pick turns out to be Kocecny.
  • Big 3 turn into 1st liners, but don’t negotiate with the first one (WN) when you had a chance (summer ’17), leaving it to the new gm at the last moment, costing more. New GM is blamed.
  • Negotiate with AM before his entry deal was up just long enough for MM’s agent to shit all over it, and conveniently MM has career year right ahead of his own contract renegotiation, getting him like 20% extra.
  • Team is finally good, but the 2 best teams in the league are also in your division.
  • Two years in a row an impact center gets suspended in the playoffs for a sentence other guys wouldn’t get.
  • Trade Kadri for best available deal. Barrie grenades the next year, way worse than expected.
  • Trade 2 guys on bad deals (Marleau and Z) to get out of their cap hits. Despite both being sub-optimal, New GM is blamed.
  • Market tanks the year after you sign your core with the pandemic of the century, so that RFAs the next year will get way less.
  • Rely on the cap to increase steadily, like it had for the previous 15 years. NHL freezes cap, and it might go down afterwards.
  • Possible silver lining of 1st overall, 1/8 chance, even had conditional pick so as to not lose it. Then loses Laferniere sweepstakes. (Added note: moments after their lottery ball almost enters the chamber).
If even, like, two of those things don't happen the team is probably a bit more talented and likely has won at least one playoff round by now.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
interesting that their choice was to dump the flaming pile of garbage in the middle of the street instead of keeping it contained in the big steel box.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting that their choice was to dump the flaming pile of garbage in the middle of the street instead of keeping it contained in the big steel box.
The steel box has diesel fuel and other components liable to explosion. Probably want to avoid that.

Toronto Fire is visible in the video and I'm guessing they're the ones who told them to dump it. They probably got there super quick too since there's a firestation 200 m down Adelaide from Simcoe.