• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could’ve just told Marleau to fucking retire or he’d send him down to the A. That’s probably what he should’ve done.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could’ve just told Marleau to fucking retire or he’d send him down to the A. That’s probably what he should’ve done.

Why didnt he just promise "If you take Marleau, in our next game if your goalies get hurt, we will provide you with an EBUG ringer and throw you the game"

Wouldnt that have sufficed? :noidea:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which made me go look and play What If?

What if the Leafs beat the EBUG?

The Elimination Round schedule is very different:

PIT loses to MTL
TOR might beat NYR
NYI plays FLA
CBJ and CAR battle

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which made me go look and play What If?

What if the Leafs beat the EBUG?

The Elimination Round schedule is very different:

PIT loses to MTL
TOR might beat NYR
NYI plays FLA
CBJ and CAR battle

We don't beat Carolina IMO. They always push us around.

Also, this. Sorry.

OFF THE POST

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't beat Carolina IMO. They always push us around.

Also, this. Sorry.

OFF THE POST

I told them to have Freddy Andersen sit in for the draw. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Freddy would have let that ball right up the chute.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any way Dubas stays on as GM?

His ability to make good trades is debatable, and his history of contract signings is indefensible.

To progress, this team will need to improve on both this offseason. Per capfriendly, they have $76M in salaries tied up in 17 players. And that is with Sandin, Rosen and Marincin (each under $1M) on the blue line. Absent changes, you have to fill out the roster with min level contracts. Stating the obvious, but changes will be made to the roster.

Dubas' track record does not suggest he is up to the challenge. Time will tell if Shanahan agrees.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His ability to make good trades is debatable, and his history of contract signings is indefensible.

To progress, this team will need to improve on both this offseason. Per capfriendly, they have $76M in salaries tied up in 17 players. And that is with Sandin, Rosen and Marincin (each under $1M) on the blue line. Absent changes, you have to fill out the roster with min level contracts. Stating the obvious, but changes will be made to the roster.

Dubas' track record does not suggest he is up to the challenge. Time will tell if Shanahan agrees.

But who is out there that can really replace him right now? Tallon? Chia? Chayka?

I know that Billy Zito is well respected (and I would kill anyone who took him from us), but would you really want to hire someone as their first GM job to sort this out? In that media environment? The hardest job on earth.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dubas will get another year.

The cap situation isn't good but it isn't good for basically anybody and everybody who isn't playing by next round is going to probably want to make big changes so there will be dance partners.

I've become much more concerned about their drafting, their lack of prospects being developed and the lack of picks. I think they have to let Clifford walk based solely on the fact that giving up a second round pick to keep him is insane. With Barrie walking they've now let five high-profile UFA's walk out the door in the span of two years with zero compensation and zero success to show for their "own rentals". Combined with the number of second round picks they traded during the Lou era the farm thinned out pretty quickly.

Hyman and Andersen are both up next year and while I'd LOVE to keep Zach if they don't lock him up for around $5 mil this summer and he has a great year that'll just be another guy they lose for nothing. No idea what to do about Andersen - 4 series clinchers and 0 wins to show for it, while not all on him, has to be considered but a replacement may be hard to come by. He has value at a low hit and a decent reputation for his play. If Dubas can swing another guy in somehow while getting value for Freddy it would be a huge boost to this team. Otherwise, add him to the list of UFA's who walk for nothing.

Dermott's got no home on this team. He's an NHLer but there's just nowhere here for him. Assuming he'll be moved.

And that's about all I've got. Nobody from the big 4's moving anywhere. Maybe they look at how well Rielly played and figure his value's about as high as it'll ever be and decide to make a move there. I guess we're stuck with Muzzin, hopefully his deal doesn't look bad until 2023 at the earliest. And that's about all I've got. Maybe one of those new imports they brought in will do okay and Mikhayev can bounce back to where he seemed to be going before his injury. Maybe Liljegren can snag a role and make me stop hating that we could've taken Rob Thomas a few picks later. Maybe a later round pick will finally step into the lineup as more than a 4th liner. Maybe there's a goalie in the system I'm forgetting that can make an impact. But I'm gonna let the season and the offseason play out, sit back, and hope the Raptors have enough bench depth to get to the NBA Final again because that's the only sports team I've watched the last few years that was actually any fun.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey Auston, the team already has a captain.

Kidding aside, what else would he say?

"We got rid of that hard ass coach that I hated, the GM hands out contracts like its monopoly money, and gee, all things being equal you only win the Cup once every 32 years anyway so our turn is probably coming"?

What is missing is a complete unappreciation for why the core has not been successful. Failure is fine as long as you learn and grow from it. That seems to be the missing part for these guys. They think they can keep doing things the same way and "we'll break through eventually". I hope those kinds of discussions are going on behind closed doors.

Time will tell.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitting on Simmons aside that wasn’t a very good exit presser for Dubas.

That Ceci defence especially... if he honestly sees good in Ceci then he must see bad in Rielly. If that's the case he basically just did what GMJR did with Schultz/JJ in a more nuanced way. Which is insane - Ceci was fucking horrible.

Last edited:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, when a city goes all out to accommodate your game and allow its season to be played to completion (in a manner which allowed your bad, non-playoff qualifying team to backdoor itself into the tournament) why not shit on the residents?

/Space Needle looks good in green though!

//Really hope this is fake.