• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so they hold the first draft lottery in June and shock of shocks, one of the placeholder teams gets the #1 pick.

So you are one of the 16 teams in the elimination round. Do you (a) do your best to win and lose to BOS in the second round (hypothetically) of (b) say "meh" and prefer a 12.5% chance at Lafreniere?

I of course am alluding to TOR who has already traded away their first, so I am being facetious. But the question for the other 15 teams is legit. Undoubtedly some of them (cough cough MTL) are probably better served tanking in the elimination round

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so they hold the first draft lottery in June and shock of shocks, one of the placeholder teams gets the #1 pick.

So you are one of the 16 teams in the elimination round. Do you (a) do your best to win and lose to BOS in the second round (hypothetically) of (b) say "meh" and prefer a 12.5% chance at Lafreniere?

I of course am alluding to TOR who has already traded away their first, so I am being facetious. But the question for the other 15 teams is legit. Undoubtedly some of them (cough cough MTL) are probably better served tanking in the elimination round

I have an anecdote for this.

When my best friend and I play FIFA we have hand balls turned off. We decided at some point well in the past that it was way too sensitive and way too much of a pain in the ass having play stop all the time for random touches in the middle of the field. I'm guessing that they have sliders now blah blah but we just turned it off completely and never turned it back on.

To get to the point... we can do this because we know that the game is programmed in such a way that the non-goalies still won't reach up with their hands and catch every corner or throw rugby passes down the field, even though they "could" and it may in fact be beneficial to the team.

This wouldn't really be the same as a team manipulating transactions and the active roster and not caring if it results in losses (like in a theoretical late-season "tank"), there's no real way to effectively do this and save face with anyone so I think there's zero concern about it happening.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leafs’ first is top-10 protected so theoretically they do fit in this.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every other sports organization: “tragedy”, “sad events”, “incident”.

World’s greatest hockey club: “that shit was murder.”

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a lawyer, I could quibble over wording. But the point remains. This was more than an "incident" or "tragedy".

Restored my beleaf in this organization.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a lawyer, I could quibble over wording. But the point remains. This was more than an "incident" or "tragedy".

Restored my beleaf in this organization.
It could definitely become a problem once the cop is found not guilty but in Dubas I trust.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
World’s greatest hockey club: “that shit was murder.”

giphy.gif

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
In the spirit of inclusiveness (desperately needed everywhere right now), we welcome you with open arms @dash into the Leaf family.
his family just tolerates him as a flames fan.... he'd have to sleep in the garage if he became a leafs fan

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the spirit of inclusiveness (desperately needed everywhere right now), we welcome you with open arms @dash into the Leaf family.

It's been a pretty good run of recent championships for Toronto based professional sports teams lately with the Argps, TFC, and Raptors. The Leafs winning the Cup would reverberate nation wide.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a pretty good run of recent championships for Toronto based professional sports teams lately with the Argps, TFC, and Raptors. The Leafs winning the Cup would reverberate nation wide.
It would be very Leafs to win this bastardized playoffs we’re getting, have everyone say it comes with an asterisk and then not win again for 50 years.

/I said it at the start but I’m much more upset that the Raptors didn’t get to defend their title properly than I am about anything regarding the Leafs. That was a hell of a team to be proud of.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So sad that dash is at the point where he is abandoning all hope.

It would be very Leafs to win this bastardized playoffs we’re getting, have everyone say it comes with an asterisk and then not win again for 50 years.

We'll do our best to spare you that pain. :thumb: