• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs just gave a video tribute to a guy they paid a first round pick to get rid of because his “kids” wanted too much money and he had already squeezed them for what management apparently knew was an extra year they were never going to be able to cover.

:scratch:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaf broadcast just now: “Patrick Marleau taught those youngsters how to be men for sure.

“Father figure” Patrick Marleau: “Auston, I wouldn’t tell the team about that whole terrifying a woman to death and mooning her while piss drunk thing. That was a very manly move.”

I can give him better advice, where's my buyout money? :wink:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's also the number of licks it takes to get the center of a Tootsie-Roll pop.

That quote and commercial are mentioned at least monthly in my household.

its like you are listening in. . .

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's also the number of licks it takes to get the center of a Tootsie-Roll pop.

That owl is a fucking pervert I would never trust an owl

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the answer is three :D

Ovie yesterday at practice: 'Hey guys turn on your radios on the way to the rink tonight, I'm gonna get the Leafs to take a bunch of penalties and we can tee off on the PP"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That owl is a fucking pervert I would never trust an owl

giphy.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, this doesn't seem like an appealing package to me...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dubas were half as good as the old master, Sam Pollock, he would trade em both to Seattle for a first rounder.

Ah yes, very shrewd of Sam trading Backstrom to the Kings to help LA finish ahead of the Golden Seals and secure the first overall pick for the Habs - However, what if Sam had picked Marcel Dionne instead of Guy Lafleur?!? Would the Habs still have won all those Stanley Cups?!? I think there's a good chance Marcel would have been drinking champagne from Lord Stanley's chalice.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact we’re looking to trade two guys who were both unrestricted and brought back voluntarily despite obvious cap considerations and, quite evidently, lack of an ability to play everyday in the National Hockey League is bad.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact we’re looking to trade two guys who were both unrestricted and brought back voluntarily despite obvious cap considerations and, quite evidently, lack of an ability to play everyday in the National Hockey League is bad.

Bad how? I'm not sure I understand.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad how? I'm not sure I understand.
Why did we spend the cap space on guys anyone with a clear head could tell weren't worth the cap space when such cap space was at such a premium?

It's not like they needed the bodies to cover for injuries - MarMar's played 6 games and Petan's played 4.

Just seems bad that in order to get Hyman - an actual NHL player - back into the lineup we need to first move two washouts.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did we spend the cap space on guys anyone with a clear head could tell weren't worth the cap space when such cap space was at such a premium?

It's not like they needed the bodies to cover for injuries - MarMar's played 6 games and Petan's played 4.

Just seems bad that in order to get Hyman - an actual NHL player - back into the lineup we need to first move two washouts.

Probably because guys who were definitely "worth the cap space" didn't want to sign somewhere where they were potentially going to be bounced up and down all year and cycled with a few other guys just to sit in the press box half the time. The guys filling those spots (or Holl and Gauthier if they were worse) were always going to have to be bounced from the roster when Hyman came back and as shiftless as some agents are they can all do the math and know the CBA. Petan in particular has a cap hit that is less than league minimum (he's finishing a 2 year deal) so he even fits a very specific situation that might come up and couldn't be filled by signing a new player to a new contract (since the AAV would then have to be at least the league min).

There was really no cap space being wasted by signing them and keeping them, in the specific situation the Leafs are in there's no possibility of "banking" it. Would it be better to have been able to sign/use better players in those spots? In an ideal world of course but as I said most players and their agents could see the writing on the wall. Look at a guy like Matt Read. I would have rather signed someone better than him but the pitch looks like it was "we'll pay you an NHL salary but you're gonna have a minor league contract so that we don't have to pass you through waivers to start you with the Marlies or count you towards our 50 man list, and then even when you do get called up it's probably only gonna be for a couple of weeks at a time". You're lucky to even get someone as good as Read with that kind of pitch and the team needed live borderline NHL bodies to cycle through. Like I said I just don't really see much opportunity or any money being "wasted" here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because guys who were definitely "worth the cap space" didn't want to sign somewhere where they were potentially going to be bounced up and down all year and cycled with a few other guys just to sit in the press box half the time. The guys filling those spots (or Holl and Gauthier if they were worse) were always going to have to be bounced from the roster when Hyman came back and as shiftless as some agents are they can all do the math and know the CBA. Petan in particular has a cap hit that is less than league minimum (he's finishing a 2 year deal) so he even fits a very specific situation that might come up and couldn't be filled by signing a new player to a new contract (since the AAV would then have to be at least the league min).

There was really no cap space being wasted by signing them and keeping them, in the specific situation the Leafs are in there's no possibility of "banking" it. Would it be better to have been able to sign/use better players in those spots? In an ideal world of course but as I said most players and their agents could see the writing on the wall. Look at a guy like Matt Read. I would have rather signed someone better than him but the pitch looks like it was "we'll pay you an NHL salary but you're gonna have a minor league contract so that we don't have to pass you through waivers to start you with the Marlies or count you towards our 50 man list, and then even when you do get called up it's probably only gonna be for a couple of weeks at a time". You're lucky to even get someone as good as Read with that kind of pitch and the team needed live borderline NHL bodies to cycle through. Like I said I just don't really see much opportunity or any money being "wasted" here.
Maybe I'm hungover from my morning scotch but I'm not seeing anywhere there what the benefit to having these two guys was? Is it just bodies for the sake of bodies?

Because if it's bodies for the sake of bodies they were both dumb signings. My whole spiel was that they added literally nothing and the Leafs already signed a bunch of crappy shit-all contracts so there was very little reason for these two to be added to the pile. They knew as soon as the offseason started that Hyman and Dermott were both almost sure to be LTIR'd at the start of the year and their salaries would have to re-enter the cap picture at some point. Why add all these extra bodies they didn't need that was going to create a headache *looks at calendar* four weeks into the season?