• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm hungover from my morning scotch but I'm not seeing anywhere there what the benefit to having these two guys was? Is it just bodies for the sake of bodies?

Because if it's bodies for the sake of bodies they were both dumb signings. My whole spiel was that they added literally nothing and the Leafs already signed a bunch of crappy shit-all contracts so there was very little reason for these two to be added to the pile. They knew as soon as the offseason started that Hyman and Dermott were both almost sure to be LTIR'd at the start of the year and their salaries would have to re-enter the cap picture at some point. Why add all these extra bodies they didn't need that was going to create a headache *looks at calendar* four weeks into the season?

How have they caused a headache though? If they can't trade them for something they'll try to pass them through waivers. If they get claimed then the team is right back where you wanted them to be anyway and if they don't then they go back into the rotating reserve/call-up mix. There's no headache that I can see here.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also add that while I'm not suggesting that people give them the full benefit of the doubt and never question anything I do think that the guys managing the Leafs' cap know exactly what they're doing and how/why they're doing it. Every time so far that I've thought "that seems weird" a little more digging has turned up a smart reason/answer.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How have they caused a headache though? If they can't trade them for something they'll try to pass them through waivers. If they get claimed then the team is right back where you wanted them to be anyway and if they don't then they go back into the rotating reserve/call-up mix. There's no headache that I can see here.
We’ll see I guess but there’s obviously a reason someone in the front office decided to leak to Friedman that Petan and Marincin are available. Seems to me like if they had everything under control they would’ve just checked the trade market and then buried them if they had to.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ll see I guess but there’s obviously a reason someone in the front office decided to leak to Friedman that Petan and Marincin are available. Seems to me like if they had everything under control they would’ve just checked the trade market and then buried them if they had to.

They're probably just thinking that there might be a greater than zero chance that one (or both) of them gets claimed and they'll lose the depth without getting anything.

What's your guess as to the reason? In addition, what's so scary about your speculative reason? I can't see any potential problem here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're probably just thinking that there might be a greater than zero chance that one (or both) of them gets claimed and they'll lose the depth without getting anything.

What's your guess as to the reason? In addition, what's so scary about your speculative reason? I can't see any potential problem here.
I haven't even tried to figure out their cap scheming and even that link from PPP left me crosseyed so I won't even venture a guess but like I said if they're having any kind of issues because of MarMar and Petan it's bad. Time will tell as Hyman and Tavares return.

I'm also not sold on the "afraid to lose them on waivers" thing because from what I've read the Marlies roster is pretty full as it is.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't even tried to figure out their cap scheming and even that link from PPP left me crosseyed so I won't even venture a guess but like I said if they're having any kind of issues because of MarMar and Petan it's bad. Time will tell as Hyman and Tavares return.

I'm also not sold on the "afraid to lose them on waivers" thing because from what I've read the Marlies roster is pretty full as it is.

They are not having any kind of issues that they would not be having anyway. If they had not signed Petan and MarMar they would be in the exact same cap situation and would be waiving two other players when Hyman comes back instead (and potentially losing them in the same manner, with fewer guys in reserve left to take their place). Playing with a roster of less than 23 has nothing to do with re-signing Petan and MarMar. Signing them helped deal with the cap "problem", it did not create it.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they're "afraid", I think they see it as a way to maybe get something for guys that they think they might lose anyway.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petan back down to the Marlies before his 30 days were up so of course he doesn't even have to clear waivers. All assets kept, cap is fine and Petan is presumably still on the block. If traded he'll go to the other team's AHL roster and be called up from there.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure when (I don't think they can do it right away) but I believe if he isn't traded he will also go back into the pool of guys available to be called up again for < 30 days if a Leaf gets injured and put on LTIR. As I said, this was always the plan and they knew exactly what they were trying/going to do.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading these posts and trying to make sense of it, I long for the good old days when there were only 6 teams and they owned your @$$.

Life was simpler then

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were any of you other guys screaming at your tv to let Johnsson have a go in the shootout last night?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading these posts and trying to make sense of it, I long for the good old days when there were only 6 teams and they owned your @$$.

Life was simpler then

It's honestly not that complicated really. They have to send down (or trade) 3 guys to fit Hyman. Petan was one of these 3 and he was sent down "early" so that he did not have to clear waivers (because it had not been 30 days since the last time he cleared). When Hyman actually returns two more guys will have to go down. They will probably be Marincin (why they are trying to trade him I assume) and Shore (seems more likely to clear waivers than Timashov).

If those two clear waivers and go to the Marlies then they won't require waivers for 30 days (same as Petan before them) so if needed they can be brought back up and sent back down during that period with no risk of losing them. And the Leafs will have to run with only one guy in the press box (Timashov and Spezza will probably rotate in that spot)

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's honestly not that complicated really. They have to send down (or trade) 3 guys to fit Hyman. Petan was one of these 3 and he was sent down "early" so that he did not have to clear waivers (because it had not been 30 days since the last time he cleared). When Hyman actually returns two more guys will have to go down. They will probably be Marincin (why they are trying to trade him I assume) and Shore (seems more likely to clear waivers than Timashov).

If those two clear waivers and go to the Marlies then they won't require waivers for 30 days (same as Petan before them) so if needed they can be brought back up and sent back down during that period with no risk of losing them. And the Leafs will have to run with only one guy in the press box (Timashov and Spezza will probably rotate in that spot)

So why cant these so called professional writers explain it that easily.

Thanks, that was VERY helpful !

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the first 15 games, I can only say

Any team that trades for Ceci is not trying to win
Any team that dresses Ceci is not trying to win
Any team that plays Ceci 20+ minutes a game is not trying to win

Wow, that dude was as advertised. Not going to go hunt for the posts on here, but you were so right. Once or twice a game, he does something completely WTF are you thinking? And the puck usually ends up in the Leaf net.

I am not trying to put this all on Ceci. Injuries, other bad signings, inconsistent play, etc are all equally fair criticisms. But damn Ceci is not worth his salary. Oh well, there is always 20-21 and he wont be back.

(at some point @DragonfromTO will be able to explain to me why they cant waive/demote him and get Cap relief)

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the first 15 games, I can only say

Any team that trades for Ceci is not trying to win
Any team that dresses Ceci is not trying to win
Any team that plays Ceci 20+ minutes a game is not trying to win

Wow, that dude was as advertised. Not going to go hunt for the posts on here, but you were so right. Once or twice a game, he does something completely WTF are you thinking? And the puck usually ends up in the Leaf net.

I am not trying to put this all on Ceci. Injuries, other bad signings, inconsistent play, etc are all equally fair criticisms. But damn Ceci is not worth his salary. Oh well, there is always 20-21 and he wont be back.

(at some point @DragonfromTO will be able to explain to me why they cant waive/demote him and get Cap relief)

As I understand it they would get some cap relief if he is demoted and clears waivers but it would only be $900k, not the full amount. So it's gotta be a "this guy absolutely doesn't deserve to be on the roster" type of situation.

Last edited:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why cant these so called professional writers explain it that easily.

Thanks, that was VERY helpful !

When someone can't explain something in a simple way it's often an indicator that they don't know/understand the subject very well. And most of the guys in the mainstream media don't know fuck all about this kind of stuff and are too lazy/arrogant to admit that and inform themselves :wink:. And you're very welcome, of course.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a month so I'll share some general, unpanicked and rational comments on the team so far:

-Fuck Gary Bettman.

-Tyson Barrie is being used improperly but his proper use involves a lot of PP1 time which he's never going to get so I'm not sure I know how this plays out moving forward. Might be a trade option if Dubas can sell his true value.

-Cody Ceci is fucking terrible.

-I like Willie and he hasn't been as bad as people think but he does need to start producing points. His body language is absolutely terrible sometimes and that isn't helping him get out of the glare of both the coaching staff and the media. That needs to change fast because right now Kapanen is playing much more like he belongs on Matthews' wing.

-Fuck Gary Bettman.

-They have no penalty kill. If Babcock is surviving this year he needs to turf Hakstol soon. It's just not working at all.

-They haven't had a 3 game win streak since February. That needs to change.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a month so I'll share some general, unpanicked and rational comments on the team so far:

-Fuck Gary Bettman.

-Tyson Barrie is being used improperly but his proper use involves a lot of PP1 time which he's never going to get so I'm not sure I know how this plays out moving forward. Might be a trade option if Dubas can sell his true value.

-Cody Ceci is fucking terrible.

-I like Willie and he hasn't been as bad as people think but he does need to start producing points. His body language is absolutely terrible sometimes and that isn't helping him get out of the glare of both the coaching staff and the media. That needs to change fast because right now Kapanen is playing much more like he belongs on Matthews' wing.

-Fuck Gary Bettman.

-They have no penalty kill. If Babcock is surviving this year he needs to turf Hakstol soon. It's just not working at all.

-They haven't had a 3 game win streak since February. That needs to change.

Kapanen + Matthews didn't work last year when both were playing well, I wouldn't expect it to be much different this year. If Willy is gonna be replaced in that spot I'd like it to be by a player with a somewhat similar skill set because I don't want Matthews having to do all of the work getting the puck through the neutral zone, that seems to be when he tends to get his bell rung. Let Matthews give it up early and get it back late. Like this :wink:

via Imgflip GIF Maker

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kapanen + Matthews didn't work last year when both were playing well, I wouldn't expect it to be much different this year. If Willy is gonna be replaced in that spot I'd like it to be by a player with a somewhat similar skill set because I don't want Matthews having to do all of the work getting the puck through the neutral zone, that seems to be when he tends to get his bell rung. Let Matthews give it up early and get it back late. Like this :wink:

ia Imgflip GIF Maker
They've tried him with Marner a few times and it's been meh. At least there's familiarity there with Kapanen.

Or Willie can just fucking score some.