• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand the intricacies of the trade rules in play here

:scratch:
None, really, other than RFA's cannot be given no trade clauses.

This has more to do with the idea that some or all of the kids on the Leafs would take "discounted" contracts to keep the band together - say Willie signs at a discount then one of the other two doesn't and the team is forced to trade someone and that someone is determined to be Willie. He has no protection against that happening and ending up playing on a discounted deal in Edmonton centering a line with Lucic and Kassian instead of sticking with the band he took less money to be a part of. He has no protection available and would be taking the word of a GM, which, well, see PK Subban.

Conversely, if things have soured badly he has no reason to sign any kind of multi-year deal only to be traded somewhere he doesn't want to be. If he's flexed this much RFA muscle he might as well flex all the way.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This has more to do with the idea that some or all of the kids on the Leafs would take "discounted" contracts to keep the band together - say Willie signs at a discount then one of the other two doesn't and the team is forced to trade someone and that someone is determined to be Willie. He has no protection against that happening and ending up playing on a discounted deal in Edmonton centering a line with Lucic and Kassian instead of sticking with the band he took less money to be a part of.

Conversely, if things have soured badly he has no reason to sign any kind of multi-year deal only to be traded somewhere he doesn't want to be. If he's flexed this much RFA muscle he might as well flex all the way.

I can't wait until a deal is nearly consummated only for Willie's mom to step in and say "There's no way my son is playing in Edmonton" :D

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did not know that, thanks.

This has more to do with the idea that some or all of the kids on the Leafs would take "discounted" contracts to keep the band together - say Willie signs at a discount then one of the other two doesn't and the team is forced to trade someone and that someone is determined to be Willie. He has no protection against that happening and ending up playing on a discounted deal in Edmonton centering a line with Lucic and Kassian instead of sticking with the band he took less money to be a part of.

At this point, if things have soured badly, he has no reason to sign any kind of multi-year deal only to be traded somewhere he doesn't want to be. If he's flexed this much RFA muscle he might as well flex all the way.

I am fine with Willie getting every last dollar he can. No problem with that. Unfortunately for him, I think his holdout has resulted in a much lower chance of him staying long term with the Leafs. AM34 is going to get paid, and Mitch is proving again that his offensive output may be the highest on the whole team. So he will get paid too. Add JT in there, and no team could afford to keep that many high priced forwards.

Next year looks like the problem because there is one last year of Marleau at $6.25M. If Patty were on a two year deal expiring at the end of this year, there is money for Willie.

Not playing makes you the easy target for a one way ticket to Anaheim or Nashville or Miami.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait until a deal is nearly consummated only for Willie's mom to step in and say "There's no way my son is playing in Edmonton" :D
Well his dad apparently stepped in long ago and said "There's no way my son is playing in Toronto" so, here we are.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with Willie getting every last dollar he can. No problem with that.
I'm okay with it too, but at some point the realization needs to kick in that 1) you have absolutely no leverage in this situation, 2) the team is not suffering in your absence, 3) the team is not likely to trade you (I fully believe Dubas is going to either sign him or let him sit for the year), and 4) you are losing way more money by sitting out than you are gaining in annual salary.

No matter what the Leafs came out with, there absolutely has to have been an agreeable term and figure (whether long-term or bridge or even one year) offered by this point that Willie should've signed. I'm not crazy-fan upset at him or anything but I'm just not seeing what the point is of continuing to sit.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention how much Freddy looked like the reincarnation of the Dominator in this one.

Flopping and flipping all over the crease to keep the puck out.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention how much Freddy looked like the reincarnation of the Dominator in this one.

Flopping and flipping all over the crease to keep the puck out.
Freddy is 29, the same age Hasek was when he won his first Vezina. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except like, you were almost exactly in his position and you signed one of the most team-friendly contracts in the NHL.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't even make this shit up - Kucherov scored 65 then 66 pts and signed for 3 years at $4.76 mil AAV two years ago. Nylander had 61 pts in each of the last two seasons and I'm pretty sure he would shoot Kyle Dubas if he was offered $4.76 mil AAV.

Sit down, Nikita.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't even make this shit up - Kucherov scored 65 then 66 pts and signed for 3 years at $4.76 mil AAV two years ago. Nylander had 61 pts in each of the last two seasons and I'm pretty sure he would shoot Kyle Dubas if he was offered $4.76 mil AAV.

Sit down, Nikita.

I think you've just listed the journalistic practice generally in play with this Nylander "story" :wink:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly could be, Canucks prospect Michael Dipietro might have the inside track, but it's going to be a competition.
He hasn't even scored a goal. Canada needs scoring from the back end. No chance.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky" - Ian Scott

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sit down, Nikita.

Tom Wilson makes more than that

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Wilson makes more than that

tumblr_o6174tdk8O1qloumoo3_r1_500.gif