• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Kraken Jokes in Seattle

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Seattle would be a solid spot for an NHL team. Committed fan base.

Well, they love their football, that's for sure, but it's a hot-and-cold market. They've had junior hockey there for some time now, but I just don't know if the fans there are ready to pay NHL ticket prices 41 times a season. If NHL tv ratings are any indication, a NHL team in Seattle is by no means a slam dunk (pardon the mixed sport metaphor).

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they love their football, that's for sure, but it's a hot-and-cold market. They've had junior hockey there for some time now, but I just don't know if the fans there are ready to pay NHL ticket prices 41 times a season. If NHL tv ratings are any indication, a NHL team in Seattle is by no means a slam dunk (pardon the mixed sport metaphor).

Well I know the Seattle Sounders(MLS) sells out all the time, they love it and doesn't hurt that they just brought over from Europe's Tottenham player and team USA player, Clint Dempsey. The fanbase is growing there. I think an NHL will benefit more than a junior hockey team.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read Portland is the place that should and probably will get a team.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I know the Seattle Sounders(MLS) sells out all the time, they love it and doesn't hurt that they just brought over from Europe's Tottenham player and team USA player, Clint Dempsey. The fanbase is growing there. I think an NHL will benefit more than a junior hockey team.

so?

the Mariners have drawn less than 10000 for weekday games

"love" is fleeting when it comes to seattle sports and we all know the opposite of love is apathy (see the Mariners)

its a crowded sports marketplace there and Ive said it before ... Seattle is a fad city ... whatever sport seems cool at a certain time is the sport they gravitate to ... while other local teams suffer for support

and tangent on Sounders ... lets revisit their popularity next season ... there were already signs at the end of this season that the fan support was waning ... Clint Dempsey shit the bed for the team and him making 7 shmill while some of his teammates made 35k really effected the harmony in the room ... alot of gleam has come off that emerald ... theyre losing their "coolness" factor

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read Portland is the place that should and probably will get a team.

This is actually a good point - Portland might actually be a better spot than Seattle in terms of fan interest - fans are hardcore with the Blazers and you don't have the NFL or MLB to deal with up there - I think cities that have NFL teams or MLB teams, it's maybe a little harder to have fan interest in the NHL - Portland wouldn't be a bad spot

Although having a team in Seattle would be cool because of the rivalry they could have with Vancouver, but you could make the case as well that a lot of people in Seattle like the Canucks already so it would hard to divide a fan base

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually a good point - Portland might actually be a better spot than Seattle in terms of fan interest - fans are hardcore with the Blazers and you don't have the NFL or MLB to deal with up there - I think cities that have NFL teams or MLB teams, it's maybe a little harder to have fan interest in the NHL - Portland wouldn't be a bad spot

Although having a team in Seattle would be cool because of the rivalry they could have with Vancouver, but you could make the case as well that a lot of people in Seattle like the Canucks already so it would hard to divide a fan base

and the Oregon Ducks are over 100 miles away from Portland ... much less competition for the sports dollar

however, the big mark against Portland is it has no where near the big corporate base that Seattle does (but then again when Paul Allen might consider ownership ... who really cares?)

Portland Vancouver would be just as good a rivalry ... that Timbers/Whitecaps MLS rivalry is more heated than Sounders/Whitecaps ... mostly because Timbers fans are fucked up

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the Oregon Ducks are over 100 miles away from Portland ... much less competition for the sports dollar

however, the big mark against Portland is it has no where near the big corporate base that Seattle does (but then again when Paul Allen might consider ownership ... who really cares?)

Portland Vancouver would be just as good a rivalry ... that Timbers/Whitecaps MLS rivalry is more heated than Sounders/Whitecaps ... mostly because Timbers fans are fucked up

If an owner is willing to buy a team and he really wants it, that should definitely mean something - I'd like to see Portland get a team - very underrated city

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that the Winterhawks get much better support in Portland than the Thunderbirds in Seattle (or should I say Kent, Washington because that's where the home arena is).

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's possible Paul Allen could purchase an NHL team, my only thought would be if he really wanted one he'd have done it already or at least pushed for one. AFAIK he's never been interested. As for Portland, they're every bit as fairweather as Seattle. Look at the Winterhawks attendences from 2007-2009. Not good. Not saying they wouldn't make a good city for an NHL team, it's just all markets have to deal with that.

I agree about timbers fans. :lol:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible Paul Allen could purchase an NHL team, my only thought would be if he really wanted one he'd have done it already or at least pushed for one. AFAIK he's never been interested. As for Portland, they're every bit as fairweather as Seattle. Look at the Winterhawks attendences from 2007-2009. Not good. Not saying they wouldn't make a good city for an NHL team, it's just all markets have to deal with that.

I agree about timbers fans. :lol:

Portland Trail Blazers chief confirms Paul Allen?s interest in NHL | ProHockeyTalk

iirc ... when glendale was deciding whether to agree to the arena lease deal ... the nhl went to Allen(and Chris Hansen in Seattle) and tried to work last minute deals to take the coyotes if glendale city council voted against it

/lol ... i didnt even click the link ... which has another link on how close portlans was to landing the coyotes for this season

Report: Portland had ?serious? interest in landing Coyotes | ProHockeyTalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portland Trail Blazers chief confirms Paul Allen?s interest in NHL | ProHockeyTalk

iirc ... when glendale was deciding whether to agree to the arena lease deal ... the nhl went to Allen(and Chris Hansen in Seattle) and tried to work last minute deals to take the coyotes if glendale city council voted against it

/lol ... i didnt even click the link ... which has another link on how close portlans was to landing the coyotes for this season

Appreciate the link, I stand corrected. Not sure how I missed that.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing for sure a seattle NHL team would have an instant rivalry with Vancouver and Calgary!

Seattle would be the closest NHL market to Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton. Easier to market and advertise geographical rivals.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN's Bob Mckenzie says Seattle is #1 in NHL eyes for expansion and that he expects a formal announcement made in Summer/Fall 2014.

http://autopod.ca/chum/176/podcasts/

December 3rd podcast, about 7 minutes in he starts to talk about expansion

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always thought Milwaukee would be a good spot but not sure they could support MLB, NBA and NHL plus they are pretty close to Green Bay as well.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always thought Milwaukee would be a good spot but not sure they could support MLB, NBA and NHL plus they are pretty close to Green Bay as well.

Not only that but I hear rumors that the Bucks want a new Arena, and that will face some difficulty there.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that but I hear rumors that the Bucks want a new Arena, and that will face some difficulty there.

Seems like a lot of these sports teams want new multi 100 million dollar arenas now. It's getting to the point where tax payers are going to say enough already. The economy is not doing well yet millionaire and billionaire owners want the taxpayers to pay for their new play pens so they can keep up with the Jones.

BTW welcome aboard Super.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bellevue is not a viable location for a NHL sized arena, especially in that coke factory / Safeway warehouse area they are always talking about. The majority of the fans would still live on the other side of the bridges in Seattle and getting in and out of games in that area would be a traffic nightmare. The rich of Seattle live mainly in Bellevue/Mercer Island, but that doesn't matter in this situation. The location south of SafeCo field as a dual NBA/NHL,Concert arena is still the best option.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bellevue is not a viable location for a NHL sized arena, especially in that coke factory / Safeway warehouse area they are always talking about. The majority of the fans would still live on the other side of the bridges in Seattle and getting in and out of games in that area would be a traffic nightmare. The rich of Seattle live mainly in Bellevue/Mercer Island, but that doesn't matter in this situation. The location south of SafeCo field as a dual NBA/NHL,Concert arena is still the best option.

That would be the best way to go. The taxpayers more than likely would go for that as opposed to a one function facility. JMO

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a lot of these sports teams want new multi 100 million dollar arenas now. It's getting to the point where tax payers are going to say enough already. The economy is not doing well yet millionaire and billionaire owners want the taxpayers to pay for their new play pens so they can keep up with the Jones.

BTW welcome aboard Super.

Yeah, which is why Chris Hansen's arena proposal is refreshing, because the amount of public dollars is minimal compared to the overall price of the value.

Thanks for the welcome :D