• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Kraken Jokes in Seattle

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources say there have been negotiations between the league and potential ownership groups in Seattle about the cost of expansion fees. To the point where the NHL and local officials could be prepared to make some type of announcement shortly after the Olympic Games in Sochi conclude — at a time the NHL hopes nationwide interest in its sport will be at a high point.

NHL says Seattle would be a “good hockey market” | Hockey | The Seattle Times

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Local sources have said the league has held discussions with potential ownership groups here about what the fee would be to land an expansion franchise to begin play in the 2015-16 season. Reports last summer had pegged it at $275 million, but sources now say they expect the price to be somewhere between $200 million and $250 million.

Any league expansion would likely involve a second team to balance the schedule. Potential expansion sites besides Seattle include Quebec City, Kansas City, Portland, the Toronto suburb of Markham, Saskatoon and Las Vegas.

Among those candidates, Quebec City is furthest along, having already begun construction on a new arena and identified an ownership group led by media magnate Pierre-Karl Peladeau. Unlike Quebec City, local officials insist a new arena deal be contingent upon the league first awarding Seattle an expansion franchise.

Any arena deal here will also involve reworking — or completely re-creating — the existing memorandum of understanding signed with Chris Hansen last year when Seattle was seeking an NBA franchise. The deal called for construction of an NBA-first or a joint NBA-NHL arena, but made no provisions for having an NHL-first or NHL-only venue.

Seattle group to visit Vancouver as push for NHL expansion continues | Hockey | The Seattle Times

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

392707627.jpg

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would love to have the NHL in Seattle and if (big if) they could get the proper facility, it would be a great start. The question is always, will the fans come and can it be successful. I think it all depends on who the owner is. I honestly believe that all professional franchises come down to ownership. If the owners are committed to putting the best product they can out there and having a competitive team, fans will come. Nashville would hardly be considered a hockey rich area but they have worked hard there and have a competitive team. It has translated into a strong fanbase that loves the game and their team. People have commented on the Mariners. Can you honestly blame Seattle fans for losing interest when they have been so inept from the top to the bottom and only recently have shown any desire to put a winning team on the field? I'm not sure how the NHL will do in the area but I do know one thing, we should have never lost the Sonics the way we did.

Now, as for which team would be the logical choice to move, the only one I really see is Columbus maybe. Florida probably should have never been given a franchise but they will stay, imo. Tampa Bay's success keeps hockey in Florida and they just need better ownership in Miami. Just like baseball down there.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have the NHL in Seattle and if (big if) they could get the proper facility, it would be a great start. The question is always, will the fans come and can it be successful. I think it all depends on who the owner is. I honestly believe that all professional franchises come down to ownership. If the owners are committed to putting the best product they can out there and having a competitive team, fans will come. Nashville would hardly be considered a hockey rich area but they have worked hard there and have a competitive team. It has translated into a strong fanbase that loves the game and their team. People have commented on the Mariners. Can you honestly blame Seattle fans for losing interest when they have been so inept from the top to the bottom and only recently have shown any desire to put a winning team on the field? I'm not sure how the NHL will do in the area but I do know one thing, we should have never lost the Sonics the way we did.

Now, as for which team would be the logical choice to move, the only one I really see is Columbus maybe. Florida probably should have never been given a franchise but they will stay, imo. Tampa Bay's success keeps hockey in Florida and they just need better ownership in Miami. Just like baseball down there.

No chance Columbus moves

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nashville is a "strong" fanbase and Columbus is prime to move?

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geoff Baker the writer of that story dash posted above is in the cesspool and dropped former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer as a wildcard owner of a new seattle team ... wow

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geoff Baker the writer of that story dash posted above is in the cesspool and dropped former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer as a wildcard owner of a new seattle team ... wow

Wow, that's quite the name drop. This could have some legs if true.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is Steve Ballmer then that would definitely be a strong possibility

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think we hear anything in the near future about Seattle getting a team?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think we hear anything in the near future about Seattle getting a team?

I think it could still be a tad premature, put it this way, if Seattle was getting a NBA team, construction would already be underway on a new arena. That said, there definitely seems to be a lot of NHL talk coming out of Seattle these days.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it could still be a tad premature, put it this way, if Seattle was getting a NBA team, construction would already be underway on a new arena. That said, there definitely seems to be a lot of NHL talk coming out of Seattle these days.

I don't think Hansen is much of a Hockey fan, that's why I think if it's a different owner, then I can see it - expansion teams wouldn't play until at least 2015-16 so maybe there's stuff going on behind the scenes - Bill Daly sounds awful high on Seattle so something is there

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 620.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems hard to believe that a hockey team will come to Seattle without a NBA team, but sure is a lot of talk.
I haven't ever followed hockey, but if they get a team, I'm going to start being a fan.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle NHL Expansion Announcement Could Happen 'Within Weeks'

Weeks? Wow. Not sure I like the idea of expansion. I think the Seattle market would be successful, but I think the NHL needs to look into Quebec City as well. How will gaining players work for that? That's my #1 question.

I don't think there's really anything new in that article that I haven't already read lately - I mean, they could announce something at some point but it's all wait and see at this point

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Hansen is much of a Hockey fan, that's why I think if it's a different owner, then I can see it - expansion teams wouldn't play until at least 2015-16 so maybe there's stuff going on behind the scenes - Bill Daly sounds awful high on Seattle so something is there

Daly has seemed to have been high on getting a franchise in Seattle but it was always said he preferred an arena in Bellevue as oppose to downtown Seattle. If any of the owners want to try Bellevue then I highly doubt anything will ever happen. The only thing Seattle residents and politicians hate more than spending money on any sporting facility in Seattle is if someone wants it outside of the city Seattle city limits.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daly has seemed to have been high on getting a franchise in Seattle but it was always said he preferred an arena in Bellevue as oppose to downtown Seattle. If any of the owners want to try Bellevue then I highly doubt anything will ever happen. The only thing Seattle residents and politicians hate more than spending money on any sporting facility in Seattle is if someone wants it outside of the city Seattle city limits.

Yeah it wouldn't make sense to be in Bellevue, especially considering the situation with the Coyotes where the arena is in the boondocks

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 620.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it wouldn't make sense to be in Bellevue, especially considering the situation with the Coyotes where the arena is in the boondocks

I wouldn't call Bellevue the boondocks by any means. As for Seattle politicians, I doubt they would have any say, because they are not going to put up a penny for a Hockey arena, unless it includes the NBA. If a hockey arena is built it will be with private money and maybe some money from Bellevue ( lots of rich folks out that way).