• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Kraken Jokes in Seattle

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id go to a canucks v metropolitans winter classic at safeco

Bb8N3tlIUAAjfkD.jpg

YES. That would be perfect. You can even put the cover on if it starts to rain!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YES. That would be perfect. You can even put the cover on if it starts to rain!

Im still not 100% sold on seattle as an NHl market Sup

so much sports dollar competition in that city

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still not 100% sold on seattle as an NHl market Sup

so much sports dollar competition in that city

I think you have a Huge hole for winter sports.

Just saw that Seattle had the highest TV ratings in Pacific Time Zone outside of Sacramento for the Winter Classic. Also did not account for CBC ratings. Might actually be #1 if you account for CBC.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you get CBC in Seattle? Maybe it depends on your cable package?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yah ... i thought they pulled cbc off alot of basic cable packages in Seattle ... my bro/sis in law dont get it :noidea:

and sup ... its one thing to watch the game on tv and another to pay NHL ticket prices for 41 games .... Its more of an accumulation of competition for the sports dollar as i see it

there may not be real winter season competition for the sports dollar (ie Seahawk and Husky football) but me thinks not every sports fan can have a season ticket portfolio which includes BOTH winter and spring/summer sports

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I was living in Seattle it was part of the basic package, channel 99 on comcast IIRC. That was 5 years ago though. Always annoyed me that Seattle got it and Spokane didn't since both cities are almost exactly the same distance from the Canadian border.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oof!

king-tv, the nbc affiliate in seattle, cut away from the winter classic game right after it ended and didnt broadcast the us olympic team selection because they wanted to air the full episode of Dr. Phil

:L

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oof!

king-tv, the nbc affiliate in seattle, cut away from the winter classic game right after it ended and didnt broadcast the us olympic team selection because they wanted to air the full episode of Dr. Phil

Smh

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised they didn't preempt the game in the first place - I guess they only do that for the Stanley Cup Finals.

I just spent last week in Seattle, and it seems like any potential bandwagon jumping sports fans are all hanging on the Seahawks right now - the rest are still pissed the Sonics left town and nobody seems to give a shit about the M's - not sure where an NHL team would fit in, but I'm guessing below the Sounders.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup I think all of Puget Sound get it if you have Cable, I don't think you get it if you have DirectTV or Dish.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah ... i thought they pulled cbc off alot of basic cable packages in Seattle ... my bro/sis in law dont get it :noidea:

and sup ... its one thing to watch the game on tv and another to pay NHL ticket prices for 41 games .... Its more of an accumulation of competition for the sports dollar as i see it

there may not be real winter season competition for the sports dollar (ie Seahawk and Husky football) but me thinks not every sports fan can have a season ticket portfolio which includes BOTH winter and spring/summer sports

Denver has done it, as have other comparable markets, Seattle is one of the few places that has not seen the crazy economic downturn, I saw a report where Amazon was planning on hiring 10k college graduates to work over the next 10 yearas or something like that. Really it is about Corporate Support and ticket packages. Plus I think Seattle team could draw from the lower mainland and Portland as well.

When I was living in Seattle it was part of the basic package, channel 99 on comcast IIRC. That was 5 years ago though. Always annoyed me that Seattle got it and Spokane didn't since both cities are almost exactly the same distance from the Canadian border.

It still is on 99 on SD, on HD its like 628 or something.

oof!

This is one of the reasons why I watch CBC for Hockey and Olympics (NBC and their lovely tape delay)

Yup its pretty bad.

I'm surprised they didn't preempt the game in the first place - I guess they only do that for the Stanley Cup Finals.

I just spent last week in Seattle, and it seems like any potential bandwagon jumping sports fans are all hanging on the Seahawks right now - the rest are still pissed the Sonics left town and nobody seems to give a shit about the M's - not sure where an NHL team would fit in, but I'm guessing below the Sounders.

Hawks are hot right now because everyone knows this is our best shot at any kind of championship in years. 1991 if you were a Dawg fan, and 1979 for the last seattle championship.

I think Sounders fan are a little different demographic then your typical sports fan.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver has done it, as have other comparable markets, Seattle is one of the few places that has not seen the crazy economic downturn, I saw a report where Amazon was planning on hiring 10k college graduates to work over the next 10 yearas or something like that. Really it is about Corporate Support and ticket packages. Plus I think Seattle team could draw from the lower mainland and Portland as well.

The Colorado Avs attendance has suffered in the past 5 years and i dont think its totally based on poor on ice performance ... they became bored with the sport imo

also dont really think a seattle team would get the sth support from Vancouver or Portland ... people will go to games and might end up supporting a seattle team but if people arent driving from Phoenix to Glendale on a Tuesday or Thursday night, even fewer would drive from Surrey to Seattle for a weeknight game

as far as corporate support ... Amazon doesnt "do" sports do they? (my bro in law works there) ... how long is Boeing for Seattle with the unions behaving like they are

I consider Sounders fans to be the typical seattle sports fan ... they were bored casual fans of other teams who see a fresh and hot new thing ... they are there until something else gets popular ... there was alot of cross promotion of season ticket selling in the sounders with seahawks tickets so that gave them a boost and i think youll see the support dwindle starting this year as the team starts to appear stale

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colorado Avs attendance has suffered in the past 5 years and i dont think its totally based on poor on ice performance ... they became bored with the sport imo

also dont really think a seattle team would get the sth support from Vancouver or Portland ... people will go to games and might end up supporting a seattle team but if people arent driving from Phoenix to Glendale on a Tuesday or Thursday night, even fewer would drive from Surrey to Seattle for a weeknight game

I've read stories about how folks from the Lower Mainland come into Washington to Shop, and if they stay longer than 2 days, they actually can take more home Duty Free. Throw in a a NHL game or NBA game in there and make it a mini vacation. Now sure I'm not expecting large groups of season tickets, but i can definitely see people getting 4-6-8 game packages, taking the Clipper/Amtrak down or driving.

as far as corporate support ... Amazon doesnt "do" sports do they? (my bro in law works there) ... how long is Boeing for Seattle with the unions behaving like they are
Boeing is a legitmate concern, but I when I speak of Amazon,I'm not speaking of the company, more about the employees will have entertainment dollars burning a hole in their pockets. I'll have to find the link about the economic revenue being generated in the area.

I consider Sounders fans to be the typical seattle sports fan ... they were bored casual fans of other teams who see a fresh and hot new thing ... they are there until something else gets popular ... there was alot of cross promotion of season ticket selling in the sounders with seahawks tickets so that gave them a boost and i think youll see the support dwindle starting this year as the team starts to appear stale

I know many Sounder fans that are not fans of other major league sports, It comes off as very 'Hipster' thing to be in. I know the Hawks are popular right now, but there has always been large support of the Hawks, true sports fans. You see the cross promotion because I believe Allen has a stake in both.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read stories about how folks from the Lower Mainland come into Washington to Shop, and if they stay longer than 2 days, they actually can take more home Duty Free. Throw in a a NHL game or NBA game in there and make it a mini vacation. Now sure I'm not expecting large groups of season tickets, but i can definitely see people getting 4-6-8 game packages, taking the Clipper/Amtrak down or driving.

even cdn day trippers arent paying duty as canada border services dont like their officers to be tax collectors lol

i wouldnt expect ticket supprt from canada to be materially significant though ... no more than 1000 mini packs ... not like seahawks and there 5000+ canadian season ticket holders who go down on sundays

Boeing is a legitmate concern, but I when I speak of Amazon,I'm not speaking of the company, more about the employees will have entertainment dollars burning a hole in their pockets. I'll have to find the link about the economic revenue being generated in the area.

the united nations makeup of the workforce and new hires at amazon make me question how many will gravitate towards hockey ... i think they can boost soccer attendance though

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that, however I don't think Seattle won't need to be reliant on Vancouver or Portland support. The difference between Phoenix and Seattle is in Phoenix almost everyone who wants to go has to travel from Phoenix to Glendale because they put the arena in the wrong place. In Seattle the arena will be right smack adjacent to downtown. The Seattle metro area has 4 million people (2 million in King County) and yes Seattle is very fairweather, but if the team is at all decent the seats will be filled. The biggest competition for the NHL dollar would be from the NBA and it sounds like the NBA brass is more than happy to use Seattle as a threat for relocation to get other cities to build new arenas rather than actually being interested in moving a team here so I don't think you're going to see the NBA in Seattle for at least another 5 years if not more. If the NHL can get a team in Seattle next year, that is more than enough time to get them established before the NBA would possibly consider a team again. That's the best shot and that's what they should be (and appear to be) going for.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that, however I don't think Seattle won't need to be reliant on Vancouver or Portland support. The difference between Phoenix and Seattle is in Phoenix almost everyone who wants to go has to travel from Phoenix to Glendale because they put the arena in the wrong place. In Seattle the arena will be right smack adjacent to downtown. The Seattle metro area has 4 million people (2 million in King County) and yes Seattle is very fairweather, but if the team is at all decent the seats will be filled. The biggest competition for the NHL dollar would be from the NBA and it sounds like the NBA brass is more than happy to use Seattle as a threat for relocation to get other cities to build new arenas rather than actually being interested in moving a team here so I don't think you're going to see the NBA in Seattle for at least another 5 years if not more. If the NHL can get a team in Seattle next year, that is more than enough time to get them established before the NBA would possibly consider a team again. That's the best shot and that's what they should be (and appear to be) going for.

I kinda agree with this - if Seattle was to get the arena in the right place, fans will at least come - and if the team is anywhere close to being good like you said, they'll come - and imagine the Seattle/Vancouver rivalry, that might be something that entices Seattle fans and it might get them more interested in the game - and I think Hockey is good in Seattle, when you look at the T-Birds in the WHL, so those fans might be interested in the NHL team as well

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another franchise to win nothing ever

just what seattle needs

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geographic reach of a Seattle NHL team would be substantial, as this article about Seahawks fan boundary show:
Drawing a boundary around Seahawks territory is a complicated matter. No other team is so geographically isolated.
At any given home game, more than half the fans come from outside King County, and up to 10 percent come from Canada.
Mike Flood, the team’s community-relations vice president, said the team’s target audience stretches from Western Montana to the Pacific Coast, and from Oregon up through British Columbia to Alaska

Seahawks Country stretches thousands of miles | Local News | The Seattle Times