• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes & they might not make the playoffs. They're in the toughest division in hockey. Their rivals Chicago, St. Louis & Minny have some of the best forwards in the entire league. If they want to contend it would be smart to trade one of their D for some help up front. My point is simple, a team can have the best offensive D in the league & Nashville is loaded with them, but it doesn't mean they're going to be able to win the cup. It takes a mix of players. The best teams have one offensive D playing with a stay at home defenseman in their top 4 to 6. Even Nashville's 6th D Ryan Ellis has been known for his offensive ability.

If Nashville misses the playoffs, their lack of SCORING forwards will be the reason, not their incredible depth of excellent defensemen who can score.
It's not all D though. They also have one of the top goalies in the league. In the end it won't matter though. They can't score enough goals.

Yeah better swap an offensive D like Josi for a good stay-at-home guy like Jared Cowen. THAT will get them more goals.
:scratch:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nashville misses the playoffs, their lack of SCORING forwards will be the reason, not their incredible depth of excellent defensemen who can score.

Yeah better swap an offensive D like Josi for a good stay-at-home guy like Jared Cowen. THAT will get them more goals.
:scratch:

No, swap a player like Josi for a top 6 forward. If they want to win the cup they better get a goal scorer or two or three. They aren't going to win it the way they're constructed right now.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, swap a player like Josi for a top 6 forward. If they want to win the cup they better get a goal scorer or two or three. They aren't going to win it the way they're constructed right now.

That I can agree with, but we were talking about offensive style D versus stay-at-home D.

Honest question: If you were Nashville's GM is there any stay-at-home type defenseman (less than 30 points every year) in the league that you would take in a one-for-one trade for Roman Josi?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not all D though. They also have one of the top goalies in the league. In the end it won't matter though. They can't score enough goals.

So they need to learn that putting the puck in their opponent's net is as important as keeping it out of their own?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That I can agree with, but we were talking about offensive style D versus stay-at-home D.

Honest question: If you were Nashville's GM is there any stay-at-home type defenseman (less than 30 points every year) in the league that you would take in a one-for-one trade for Roman Josi?

Nicklas Hjalmarsson

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a really good player but I'm not sure any GM in the NHL would make that swap.

He's a big part of an outstanding team. He gets very little powerplay time. A terrific two way defenseman. I really don't care whether or not any GM would make the swap. Hjalmarsson more than proved his worth to any team last season.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Hamonic the Isles don't want to trade him. Garth might have to be blown away by an offer in order to trade him during the season. He's to valuable to the Islanders. I won't be surprised if he's dealt before the trade deadline, but I expect the trade to occur on draft day.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a big part of an outstanding team. He gets very little powerplay time. A terrific two way defenseman. I really don't care whether or not any GM would make the swap. Hjalmarsson more than proved his worth to any team last season.

He sure did. Hjalmarsson is a really good player, it's just Josi has proven his worth many times too.

That wasn't the point. The point is that if you're building a team Roman Josi is a better starting point than Hjalmarsson, IMO. Hjalmarsson is a lot more replaceable than Roman Josi.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even if he gives you Hjalmarsson it's gonna take more than one name to make the larger point, no (and yes, I realize that he only asked you for one name)?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Hamonic the Isles don't want to trade him. Garth might have to be blown away by an offer in order to trade him during the season. He's to valuable to the Islanders. I won't be surprised if he's dealt before the trade deadline, but I expect the trade to occur on draft day.

The Isles can probably get more for Hamonic on draft day. They also have a better chance at replacing him in the offseason. No real reason for them to make a move quickly, unless they feel that the whole thing will affect the lockerroom/team dynamics.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sure did. Hjalmarsson is a really good player, it's just Josi has proven his worth many times too.

That wasn't the point. The point is that if you're building a team Roman Josi is a better starting point than Hjalmarsson, IMO. Hjalmarsson is a lot more replaceable than Roman Josi.

Ryan McDonagh is another.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan McDonagh is another.

I would not call Ryan McDonagh a "stay-at-home defenseman". He scored 14 goals two years ago.

McDonagh is great and he's great because he can create offense for his team while still being pretty sound defensively.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 season over 40 points. 1 other season over 30. He's got 10 points so far this season. I wouldn't call him an offensive defenseman. He's a two way defenseman & one of the best in the entire league.

Now we're into semantics?

So you're saying that McD is a two-way defenseman but Weber, Josi and Jones are offensive defensemen?

What's the difference?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 season over 40 points. 1 other season over 30. He's got 10 points so far this season. I wouldn't call him an offensive defenseman. He's a two way defenseman & one of the best in the entire league.

There was a work stoppage in there, and without it McDonagh would probably be working on four 30+ point seasons in a row. He's only had one season in the league where he didn't have 30+ points or the short season equivalent, and that happened when he was 21 years old.