• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“When I look at this trip as a whole, we had some key, key people really underperform on the trip,” McLellan told reporters. “Significant minus numbers, not hitting the score sheet. It can’t always be [the top line] that provides that.”

Eberle, 25, has been invisible since returning from injury on Nov. 6. He went without a point in five games and was a staggering minus-8 on the trip.

Nugent-Hopkins, 22, did help generate two of the Oilers’ six goals on the trip with two assists. But he didn’t score a goal and was also minus-8 on the road swing.

Say what you want about the plus/minus stat, but if Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins end a trip a combined minus-16 compared to minus-2 for
Taylor Hall and Leon Draisaitl, it speaks to a stark difference in play.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Chiarelli, I would trade Taylor Hall, I know he's their leading point guy, but he's too one dimensional to help the Oilers out of the abyss they find themselves in. He would be a great fit in Nashville and I think you could pluck either Seth Jones or Roman Josi from the Preds.

/Of course, this won't happen and the Oilers will continue to flounder.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Chiarelli, I would trade Taylor Hall, I know he's their leading point guy, but he's too one dimensional to help the Oilers out of the abyss they find themselves in. He would be a great fit in Nashville and I think you could pluck either Seth Jones or Roman Josi from the Preds.

Trade your captain and spiritual leader? ARE YOU MAD?!?!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Preds would much rather trade Weber than Josi (or even Seth). They'd be saving $2 mil/yr by flipping him for Hall or RNH, which is big for a budget Nashville team that has to re-sign Forsberg this summer. I think Weber's still better than Josi but he's older and it's not like we're talking about a huge gulf in talent.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why the Oilers haven't put their best foot forward to acquire Hamonic. He would be their #1 defenseman. If Hamonic were available to the entire NHL they probably wouldn't have a chance to acquire him.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why the Oilers haven't put their best foot forward to acquire Hamonic. He would be their #1 defenseman. If Hamonic were available to the entire NHL they probably wouldn't have a chance to acquire him.

I think the Isles are likely asking for Darnell Nurse in return and Chiarelli doesn't want to part with Nurse (and I don't blame him).

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Isles are likely asking for Darnell Nurse in return and Chiarelli doesn't want to part with Nurse (and I don't blame him).

I don't want the Islanders to trade Hamonic. However, it's going to happen at some point. Whether during the season or at the draft. I realize Nurse is a good prospect, but I stand by what I said. The Oilers need help on D in a bad way & under normal circumstances would get outbid for Hamonic. They have a chance to improve their team in a big way & should do so.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want the Islanders to trade Hamonic. However, it's going to happen at some point. Whether during the season or at the draft. I realize Nurse is a good prospect, but I stand by what I said. The Oilers need help on D in a bad way & under normal circumstances would get outbid for Hamonic. They have a chance to improve their team in a big way & should do so.
Hamonic isn't exactly playing stellar hockey at the moment. Barely on a 20 pt pace after appearing to break out last season. Garth is dealing from his weakest position possible, so why would teams knock him dead with trade proposals especially given the circumstances?

I think you were right earlier about him playing out the season with the Isles. The 3 or 4 teams he'd like to play for simply aren't going to give Snow what he wants.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't think the Oilers have the players to complete any kind of deal with the Isles (I mean, sure they could trade Nurse for Hamonic, but that's a pretty lateral move at this point that really doesn't improve the Oilers now). Lots of speculation that either a 3 team trade or more players would need to be involved for a trade to happen.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamonic isn't exactly playing stellar hockey at the moment. Barely on a 20 pt pace after appearing to break out last season. Garth is dealing from his weakest position possible, so why would teams knock him dead with trade proposals especially given the circumstances?

I think you were right earlier about him playing out the season with the Isles. The 3 or 4 teams he'd like to play for simply aren't going to give Snow what he wants.

Why do people constantly look at a players point production to decide whether or not he's any good? Hamonic has been the Islanders best defenseman this season. It's not about the points. He's a stay at home defenseman. Hamonic isn't going to produce a ton of offense. He's going to play against the other teams top line every night.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people constantly look at a players point production to decide whether or not he's any good? Hamonic has been the Islanders best defenseman this season. It's not about the points. He's a stay at home defenseman. Hamonic isn't going to produce a ton of offense. He's going to play against the other teams top line every night.

Because when you play well, and are getting the most minutes on your team, there should be at least some pucks going in the other team's net.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think the Oilers have the players to complete any kind of deal with the Isles (I mean, sure they could trade Nurse for Hamonic, but that's a pretty lateral move at this point that really doesn't improve the Oilers now). Lots of speculation that either a 3 team trade or more players would need to be involved for a trade to happen.

I think Garth wants more than just a prospect for Hamonic. Right now that's what Nurse is.

Apparently a week ago when Bridgeport was playing Fort Wayne it was said that more scouts attended that game than any home game in Fort Wayne's history. So I guess the Isles are being scouted heavily right now.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because when you play well, and are getting the most minutes on your team, there should be at least some pucks going in the other team's net.

Hamonic isn't a point producer. He's a stay at home defenseman. He gets little to no powerplay time. He plays as much as he does because he's playing against the other teams top line. It's just as important to keep the puck out of your net as it is to put it in your opponents.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garth wants more than just a prospect for Hamonic. Right now that's what Nurse is.

Apparently a week ago when Bridgeport was playing Fort Wayne it was said that more scouts attended that game than any home game in Fort Wayne's history. So I guess the Isles are being scouted heavily right now.

I would argue that Nurse at this point is much more than a prospect, in fact he's playing more important minutes than Griffin Reinhart is for the Oilers these days (and that was before Reinhart was demoted to the AHL).