• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that Nurse at this point is much more than a prospect, in fact he's playing more important minutes than Griffin Reinhart is for the Oilers these days.

Yeah & the Isles got a 1st & a high 2nd for Reinhart. Garth has said he won't trade him unless it's a hockey trade so Travis might have to wait awhile.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garth wants more than just a prospect for Hamonic. Right now that's what Nurse is.
True, but he's a prospect on the cusp. You don't draft a blue-chip d-man, spend 3 years waiting on him to get NHL-ready then dump him for something shiny, especially when your team is going nowhere fast which is the team motto for the Oilers at this point.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but he's a prospect on the cusp. You don't draft a blue-chip d-man, spend 3 years waiting on him to get NHL-ready then dump him for something shiny, especially when your team is going nowhere fast which is the team motto for the Oilers at this point.

Hamonic isn't something shiny though. He would be the Oilers #1 defenseman. He signed for the next 4 years after this one at 4M per year. He's a player the Oilers could build their defense around. Of the four Western Canadian teams the Oilers make the most sense because they have the biggest need. That's why I brought it up.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamonic isn't something shiny though. He would be the Oilers #1 defenseman. He signed for the next 4 years after this one at 4M per year. He's a player the Oilers could build their defense around. Of the four Western Canadian teams the Oilers make the most sense because they have the biggest need. That's why I brought it up.

St. Paul, Minnesota is pretty close to Winnipeg, maybe Garth should call Chuck Fletcher and try to pry Jonas Brodin from the Wild for Hamonic.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamonic isn't a point producer. He's a stay at home defenseman. He gets little to no powerplay time. He plays as much as he does because he's playing against the other teams top line. It's just as important to keep the puck out of your net as it is to put it in your opponents.

That's why the best defensmen do both of those things.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But...Nurse will be Hamonic in very little time. Why give up Nurse and more for Hamonic? During a failed season? There's just no logic here.

It makes far more sense for Winnipeg than it does the Oilers, and they have way more pieces to play around with.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Paul, Minnesota is pretty close to Winnipeg, maybe Garth should call Chuck Fletcher and try to pry Jonas Brodin from the Wild for Hamonic.
I read when it first all broke that Minny "wasn't an option".

I think he wants to live in Canada.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read when it first all broke that Minny "wasn't an option".

I think he wants to live in Canada.

I thought I heard some updates that Minnesota and Colorado might also be in the mix, Minnesota does make the most sense though due to the proximity to Winnipeg (although obviously you do have to pass through customs).

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know whether Travis has said he's willing to go to Minny or not. Brodin would be a nice addition, but I have a hard time believing he would be available.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamonic isn't a point producer. He's a stay at home defenseman. He gets little to no powerplay time. He plays as much as he does because he's playing against the other teams top line. It's just as important to keep the puck out of your net as it is to put it in your opponents.

As a team that's true, but as a player it is not as valuable an asset.

There are lot's of guys who are capable defensively. There are much fewer guys who can score points consistently at the NHL level. That's why they are so much more valuable than guys who simply play defense.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard some updates that Minnesota and Colorado might also be in the mix, Minnesota does make the most sense though due to the proximity to Winnipeg (although obviously you do have to pass through customs).

I think both teams called Garth & asked to talk to Hamonic. Whether he said yes or not I have no idea. I heard a rumor a week ago that Anaheim called & offered to fly Hamonic back & forth if he'd be willing to become a Duck. Whether it's true or not I don't know.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are lot's of guys who are capable defensively. There are much fewer guys who can score points consistently at the NHL level. That's why they are so much more valuable than guys who simply play defense.

Talk like that isn't going to get Rob Zamuner to Nagano Kenny...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

5 of the top 8 scorer's on Nashville are defenseman. They've lost 5 of their last 7 games & last night Mike Fisher left their game against Arizona with an apparent leg injury. I don't care how many points a teams defenseman score if their forwards aren't contributing they aren't going to win. Nashville has a top 6 on defense that's as good as any team in the league, but it hasn't mattered in the end. Keeping the puck out of your own net is just as important as putting it in your opponents.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 of the top 8 scorer's on Nashville are defenseman. They've lost 5 of their last 7 games & last night Mike Fisher left their game against Arizona with an apparent leg injury. I don't care how many points a teams defenseman score if their forwards aren't contributing they aren't going to win. Nashville has a top 6 on defense that's as good as any team in the league, but it hasn't mattered in the end. Keeping the puck out of your own net is just as important as putting it in your opponents.

I'm not sure what point you could possibly be making here. Nashville is currently 3rd in a really tough Central.

Also of all playoff teams in the Western Conference, only LA and STL have allowed fewer goals.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't seem to me that Nashville is having trouble keeping the puck out of their net this year.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what point you could possibly be making here. Nashville is currently 3rd in a really tough Central.

Also of all playoff teams in the Western Conference, only LA and STL have allowed fewer goals.

Yes & they might not make the playoffs. They're in the toughest division in hockey. Their rivals Chicago, St. Louis & Minny have some of the best forwards in the entire league. If they want to contend it would be smart to trade one of their D for some help up front. My point is simple, a team can have the best offensive D in the league & Nashville is loaded with them, but it doesn't mean they're going to be able to win the cup. It takes a mix of players. The best teams have one offensive D playing with a stay at home defenseman in their top 4 to 6. Even Nashville's 6th D Ryan Ellis has been known for his offensive ability.