• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a) Your second choice does not fit the criteria
b) You're kind of missing the point. Two names isn't enough either

And let's not point out that Roman Josi is NOT the most valuable "offensive" defenseman in the league, by a fair margin.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we're into semantics?

So you're saying that McD is a two-way defenseman but Weber, Josi and Jones are offensive defensemen?

What's the difference?

You're saying he's an offensive defenseman because he put up over 30 points in 2 seasons of his career. What's the difference?

I know Josi is a good player. However, due to the fact that he's played on a stacked defensive team his entire career we really don't know how he would handle being the #1 guy on another team not as stacked on D. Hjalmarsson & McDonagh could handle it with ease. Hamonic has no problem going up against the top players in the league every night. I saw enough during last season's playoffs against Chicago to give me a good idea about Josi & his team. I know this is a different season, but I expect the same result unless their GM makes some moves.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a work stoppage in there, and without it McDonagh would probably be working on four 30+ point seasons in a row. He's only had one season in the league where he didn't have 30+ points or the short season equivalent, and that happened when he was 21 years old.

I DON'T CARE!!

You view McDonagh how you want to view him. I have a right to my opinion as much as you do yours.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're saying he's an offensive defenseman because he put up over 30 points in 2 seasons of his career. What's the difference?

I know Josi is a good player. However, due to the fact that he's played on a stacked defensive team his entire career we really don't know how he would handle being the #1 guy on another team not as stacked on D. Hjalmarsson & McDonagh could handle it with ease. Hamonic has no problem going up against the top players in the league every night. I saw enough during last season's playoffs against Chicago to give me a good idea about Josi & his team. I know this is a different season, but I expect the same result unless their GM makes some moves.

Dude, you really need to look at the numbers again. He's played 5 seasons and had 30+ points in three of them. Of the two seasons he didn't have 30+ points one was the work stoppage shortened season and the other was his 21 year old rookie season. He is not the droid you're looking for.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I DON'T CARE!!

You view McDonagh how you want to view him. I have a right to my opinion as much as you do yours.

This is not a matter of opinion but a matter of fact. You can have whatever opinion you want to about what he's done, you just have to be accurate about what he's done.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you really need to look at the numbers again. He's played 5 seasons and had 30+ points in three of them. Of the two seasons he didn't have 30+ points one was the work stoppage shortened season and the other was his 21 year old rookie season. He is not the droid you're looking for.

Since when is 30 points the benchmark for an offensive defenseman? A true offenseive defenseman in my book is putting up 50 points per season or more.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow. Just wow.

Josi, playing 25 minutes per night (most on his team for the last 2 years) is an unknown at being a #1 D while Hjalmarsson, playing 22 minutes a night (3rd most on his team) behind the best first pairing in hockey has being a true #1 nailed.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but if you're going to spout stuff this obviously asinine, we can't have a serious debate.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since when is 30 points the benchmark for an offensive defenseman? A true offenseive defenseman in my book is putting up 50 points per season or more.

So you should take that matter up with the guy that asked you the question and set the criteria.

That being said (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong Kenny) I don't think he was saying that more than 30 points classifies you as an offensive defensiveman, I think he was saying that fewer than 30 points classifies you as a defensive defenseman.

I would also like to add the list of active NHL defensemen averaging 50+ points per 82 games.

Erik Karlsson
Mike Green

That's it. So maybe that 50 point standard is a little too high.

Last edited:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Just wow.

Josi, playing 25 minutes per night (most on his team for the last 2 years) is an unknown at being a #1 D while Hjalmarsson, playing 22 minutes a night (3rd most on his team) behind the best first pairing in hockey has being a true #1 nailed.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but if you're going to spout stuff this obviously asinine, we can't have a serious debate.

Who's team has won every series the two teams have played? Josi is on a team that is so stacked defensively it's a joke. Yet they couldn't hold on to any lead they had against Chicago. They couldn't even beat the Blackhawks backup goalie. So tell me again just how special Josi is. Sorry until he proves it when it matter most he's just a very good player in my book. To me he's not a #1 defenseman. He's a very good offensive defenseman. There's a difference.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Roman Josi would be a number 1 defenseman on half of the teams in the league (and definitely on the Oilers).

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you should take that matter up with the guy that asked you the question and set the criteria.

That being said (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong Kenny) I don't think he was saying that more than 30 points classifies you as an offensive defensiveman, I think he was saying that fewer than 30 points classifies you as a defensive defenseman.

I would also like to add the list of active NHL defensemen averaging 50+ points per 82 games.

Erik Karlsson
Mike Green

That's it. So maybe that 50 point standard is a little too high.

I should add that that list is for players with 250+ career points since that's what's easily available. But I think it makes the point just the same.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Roman Josi would be a number 1 defenseman on half of the teams in the league (and definitely on the Oilers).

Maybe we'll find out one day. Maybe we won't. All I know is what I've seen from him & his team the past few years is very telling. During the regular season they do very well. During the post season Josi & his teammates haven't gotten it done. I know it's not the fault of one player. It takes an entire team to win. Part of their problem is they have to many defenseman & nowhere near enough high end forwards. That's a management issue. However, nobody can tell me that Josi is this unbelievably great defenseman when the team they lost to in last years postseason was basically playing only 4 defenseman. Sorry, but I have a higher regard for the Blackhawks 4 D who were playing against Nashville than I do Josi or any of his teammates, but that's just me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 season over 40 points. 1 other season over 30. He's got 10 points so far this season. I wouldn't call him an offensive defenseman. He's a two way defenseman & one of the best in the entire league.
McD has either scored 30 pts or been on a 30 pt pace in 5 of his 6 NHL seasons. The hell are you on right now?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, this thread was much better when we were poking fun at the Oilers...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They would have offered the GM's position in Edmonton by now dash.

Wait, they'd make him coach, then GM, then coach again.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Spector's latest article (go to Sportsnet.ca for the full piece):

We asked the question: “If you were Peter Chiarelli, what would YOU do?”

Here’s how they answered:

Eastern Exec: “Trade (Taylor) Hall and (Ryan) Nugent-Hopkins. Build around
Connor McDavid and (Leon) Draisaitl. Eberle stays. Go after a puck-moving defenceman that can make a pass and make players better.

“Think of how much you’re going to have to pay McDavid and Draisaitl. If you find some defencemen, they’ll cost as well. Trade Hall now. McDavid could be the best player in the league. Need puck moving defencemen (to provide) a transition game.”

Western Coach: He’d move RNH first, then Eberle second.

“Nugent-Hopkins is too easy to play against,” he said. “Hall doesn’t have great hockey sense, but he’s an honest, hard-working player who can skate and shoot the puck. He competes. The kid plays hard.”

Eastern Exec: “They’re all good players, and they look like they’re playing good hockey. But the team has no pulse. When they get turned up, they go great. Their stats are great, but their overall games aren’t.

“They need a leader in their top 6 who can play with these kids. All the guys they’ve brought in to provide leadership have been bottom of roster players,” he said. “The dangerous thing is, (Hall and Eberle) weren’t just good at the (2015 World Championships). They were fantastic there.”

Western scout: He’d trade Nugent-Hopkins, because as a centre, that would bring back the highest return. “I wouldn’t trade Hall. No way,” he said.

“The problem for this group of good young players is, the veterans who’ve been brought in (to Edmonton) have been bad. Andrew Ference, (Nikita) Nikitin, (Benoit) Pouliot, (Mark) Fayne. That has more to do with why the Oilers are where they are,” he said, echoing a familiar theme here.

Western Exec: “You’d get the most for Hall,” he said of the NHL’s third most productive left-winger over the last three seasons. “I like Hall, but there is a missing level of engagement, somehow. You want to love him. He plays hard, with reckless abandon. He tries, he battles. But there is this lack of awareness, it seems to me.”

The cap could mean Edmonton turns into a team like Pittsburgh, with two elite centres and a collection of less expensive players on the wings, he said. That’s assuming Chiarelli finds two defencemen good enough to command significant salaries.

Western scout No. 2: “I would trade Nugent-Hopkins. I’m not trading Hall, although he’s the guy you’d get the most for.”

Why the drop-off in return after Hall? Especially considering he’s a winger and RNH is a centre? “Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle are soft players. No one really wants soft players.”