• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say it - Chiarelli trades fucking Seguin and Kessel and whoever the fuck else without batting an eyelid, but gets to the toxic wasteland that is the Oilers and literally doesn't extract one fucking piece of a core that's been putrid for five years?

I don't follow Edmonton media because I think of it as Toronto media if it was written by 4th graders instead of 6th graders, but was there no clamouring whatsoever in the summer for guys like RNH or Eberle or Hall to be moved? All Chiarelli did was overpay a mediocre d-man, trade for an unproven goalie, give up a first rounder for a lottery bust and accept the NHL's latest gift. It's the weirdest situation - you have guys who don't work as a unit and people will pay to get but insist on giving the dead horse another whack anyway.

I'm not in the "Kessel was the problem" camp, but fuck, at least Shanahan & Co. had the balls to address the fact that the team as currently constituted was toxic and took drastic action to change things. Petey boy came in, looked around and basically did this:

37c7d966b5064b18b32da4fa5ebda07a.jpg

Attachments

• 20130109.png
    20130109.png
    853.8 KB · Views: 15

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say it - Chiarelli trades fucking Seguin and Kessel and whoever the fuck else without batting an eyelid, but gets to the toxic wasteland that is the Oilers and literally doesn't extract one fucking piece of a core that's been putrid for five years?

I don't follow Edmonton media because I think of it as Toronto media if it was written by 4th graders instead of 6th graders, but was there no clamouring whatsoever in the summer for guys like RNH or Eberle or Hall to be moved? All Chiarelli did was overpay a mediocre d-man, trade for an unproven goalie, give up a first rounder for a lottery bust and accept the NHL's latest gift. It's the weirdest situation - you have guys who don't work as a unit and people will pay to get but insist on giving the dead horse another whack anyway.

I'm not in the "Kessel was the problem" camp, but fuck, at least Shanahan & Co. had the balls to address the fact that the team as currently constituted was toxic and took drastic action to change things. Petey boy came in, looked around and basically did this:

View attachment 61425

Whoa. This is totally inaccurate!!

They traded a 1st rounder AND a an early second rounder for a lottery bust. :hockeysmile:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Break up the Oilers, they've won three in a row.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought Anders Nilsson was anything but hot garbage.....guy is playing some decent net.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought Anders Nilsson was anything but hot garbage.....guy is playing some decent net.
I'm through trying to figure out goalies. I really think 8/10's of the league are just trying anything and everything and hoping it works out for the best at this point.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm through trying to figure out goalies. I really think 8/10's of the league are just trying anything and everything and hoping it works out for the best at this point.

Nilsson is a huge goalie; so he's going to rely on more positioning and his size than any athletic abilit......ah fuck it, you're right.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i shoulda put the Fayne on waivers thing in this thread lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oilers could use a guy like Jeff Petry - Oh wait.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, does that mean that Eric Gryba is a better defenseman than Mark Fayne?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oilers could use a guy like Jeff Petry - Oh wait.

Come on dash, he just signed a long-term deal with the Habs. He's not available.

They might have to settle for PK Subban.

But really we all know they might just be best to sit tight. After all, if 2012 Oilers fans were right (and we're all assuming they were), Justin Schultz will be better than Erik Karlsson any day now.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dateline: July 1 2014

A couple of weeks ago, Edmonton Oilers’ general manager Craig MacTavish was talking generally about NHL free agency and the fact that in the end, anybody who wades into the market, tends to overpay.

“The UFA market is a fickle market,” allowed MacTavish. “Statistically, 80 per cent of the transactions in the UFA market are poor transactions, but it’s a good way to augment your lineup if you can add the right piece. We’re in a position of looking for secondary pieces. We’re comfortable with our primary pieces up front. We’re looking to add support to our primary pieces, currently in place.”

Minutes after the free-agent window opened, MacTavish did that – adding support players to their primary pieces (and crossing his fingers that neither deal falls into the 80 per cent of free-agent transactions that backfires on a team.) As he predicted, MacTavish didn’t land the biggest names out there, but he did get a couple of NHL regulars under contract, adding forward Benoit Pouliot from the New York Rangers on a five-year term for $20-million and defenceman Mark Fayne from the New Jersey Devils on a four-year contract, worth $3.5-million per season.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be pretty funny if the Devils claimed him - As I recall, he played pretty well with Andy Greene in Joisey.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be pretty funny if the Devils claimed him - As I recall, he played pretty well with Andy Greene in Joisey.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Ottawa. He can't be worse than Wiercioch (and probably Borowiecki).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it might entice the Devils to move a d-man for an offensive player.

Maybe in a deal with their former GM.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pavelski's goal was coffee table material.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Shea Weber??:smash::what:

My view on what it takes to be a #1 defemseman is probably very different from most.

1.He must be a leader. Someone everyone on his team trusts in any situation. That means he's got to at the very least have an A on his sweater.

2.He must have a physical presence. That means he must be able to clear the crease without any problems whatsoever.

3.He must be a good hitter. This means checking is a part of his game & he's good at it.

4.He MUST be among his teams leaders in BLOCKED SHOTS. If he's not willing to give up his body to keep the puck out of his net there's no point in him being a defenseman.

5.He should be on his teams 1st penalty kill unit. If he's not there's a problem.

6.He must be running the 1st powerplay unit.

7.He should average at least 40 points per season.

This is what it takes to be a #1 defenseman in my book. Josi isn't there yet as far as I'm concerned, but not many are. By the way both Josi & Weber are minus 2 & minus 6 respectively. I realize plus/minus isn't the greatest stat, but it does mean that more goals are being scored against their team when they're on the ice than when their off it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 61425

It's Edmonton, what did you expect?