• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Joe Haggerty, but it's also a not so flattering piece on Chia's drafting success (or lack thereof) with the Bruins.

Stepan yet another player the Bruins missed out on | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

Pretty bad article, IMO.

Anything outside the 1st round is pretty dodgy.

Might as well write about the Blackhawks drafting failure because:

While Chicago was picking Mirko Hoefflin in the 6th round in 2011, future 64 point scorer mark Stone remained on the shelf. While Bowman HAS won 2 Cups, one might wonder what could have been.

Chia brought the Bs to a Cup.

As a Bruins fan I'd have thought you would cut him some slack, dash. :spy:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty bad article, IMO.

Anything outside the 1st round is pretty dodgy.

Might as well write about the Blackhawks drafting failure because:

While Chicago was picking Mirko Hoefflin in the 6th round in 2011, future 64 point scorer mark Stone remained on the shelf. While Bowman HAS won 2 Cups, one might wonder what could have been.

Chia brought the Bs to a Cup.

As a Bruins fan I'd have thought you would cut him some slack, dash. :spy:
I always hate when articles bring out shit like "Well, instead of this guy at 43rd, they coulda taken that guy who wound up at 46".

But having said that, the biggest reason teams like Edmonton and Toronto are in the pits is because their later-round drafting has been fucking atrocious. There is definitely an argument to make that scouting and development at those junctures failed and that falls on the GM. Teams like Boston and Pittsburgh have done just as shittily under Chia and Shero in that regard but their failures were often masked by the heavyweights on the roster and their abilities to get deep in the playoffs. Now that those teams are struggling the lack of success in the depths of the draft come to the fore.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest reason teams like Edmonton and Toronto are in the pits is because their later-round drafting has been fucking atrocious. .

Exactly. Anybody on this board can pick a number one overall rated pick, it's the picks in rounds 2 and 3 that fill out your roster (glue guys I like to call them).

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Anybody on this board can pick a number one overall rated pick, it's the picks in rounds 2 and 3 that fill out your roster (glue guys I like to call them).

well ... we're fucked! lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but we got a glue factory guy in Chris Higgins tho

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw Higgins to New Jersey at the draft BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK IT!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Waddell doesn't post on these boards does he?

/Patrik Stefan was wondering.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, of course he would love to go back to the AHL - sheesh

I know he didn't have a real good NHL record but regardless, he deserves a shot somewhere in the NHL at the very least as an assistant - I look at how he improved Nail Yakupov and to me, that was a tough challenge because he had a lot to do in order to change his game and he improved a lot

I'm curious who the Flyers and Dave Hakstol are going to choose as assistants but I think Todd Nelson would make a fine assistant somewhere in the NHL

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, of course he would love to go back to the AHL - sheesh

I know he didn't have a real good NHL record but regardless, he deserves a shot somewhere in the NHL at the very least as an assistant - I look at how he improved Nail Yakupov and to me, that was a tough challenge because he had a lot to do in order to change his game and he improved a lot

I'm curious who the Flyers and Dave Hakstol are going to choose as assistants but I think Todd Nelson would make a fine assistant somewhere in the NHL

so basically he would be going to the AHL league from an AHL team? he may not notice the difference except he will win more

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team missed out on guys. Stepan was a 2nd round pick. So everybody who had a 1st round pick missed on him. If there was a redo of the 2010 draft Tarasenko would go 1st overall with Seguin going 2nd. Brandon Saad was a highly though of player going into his draft year. Then he didn't play well & fell to the 2nd round. It happens. Look at all the teams that passed on Fowler in 2010. Why didn't Kreider go in the top 10 in 2009. How come guys like Lidstrom & Datsyuk weren't 1st round picks. Every team's scouts made mistakes in the draft. The draft isn't the fault of the GM. It's whether or not you have good scouts.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team missed out on guys. Stepan was a 2nd round pick. So everybody who had a 1st round pick missed on him. If there was a redo of the 2010 draft Tarasenko would go 1st overall with Seguin going 2nd. Brandon Saad was a highly though of player going into his draft year. Then he didn't play well & fell to the 2nd round. It happens. Look at all the teams that passed on Fowler in 2010. Why didn't Kreider go in the top 10 in 2009. How come guys like Lidstrom & Datsyuk weren't 1st round picks. Every team's scouts made mistakes in the draft. The draft isn't the fault of the GM. It's whether or not you have good scouts.
GM hires the scouts. It always falls back on the GM.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM hires the scouts. It always falls back on the GM.

Not necessarily. GM's inherit a lot of scouts. Just because a new GM is hired doesn't mean he gets to hire an entirely new scouting staff. Something the Oilers should have done before MacTavish was hired.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. GM's inherit a lot of scouts. Just because a new GM is hired doesn't mean he gets to hire an entirely new scouting staff. Something the Oilers should have done before MacTavish was hired.
They generally get to hire/fire scouting as they please. Bruins fired some scouts after Sweeney took over, Shanny culled the Leafs scouting dept. after turfing Nonis etc. They almost never fire all of them at once because, well, you gotta have someone there telling you what's been going on the past year lol.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They generally get to hire/fire scouting as they please. Bruins fired some scouts after Sweeney took over, Shanny culled the Leafs scouting dept. after turfing Nonis etc. They almost never fire all of them at once because, well, you gotta have someone there telling you what's been going on the past year lol.

I know they do. That doesn't mean they do it. Every organization is different.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they do. That doesn't mean they do it. Every organization is different.
I'm confused - is your point that some GM's don't have control over the scouts serving them, or that GM's shouldn't be blamed in general for the shortcomings of scouting regardless of whether they hired them or not?

I mean, I think if a GM wants, he can have all the scouts let go from the head on down. Even if that process falls to the President or some other hockey ops head/VP, generally they want their GM and scouting to be on the same page.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused - is your point that some GM's don't have control over the scouts serving them, or that GM's shouldn't be blamed in general for the shortcomings of scouting regardless of whether they hired them or not?

I mean, I think if a GM wants, he can have all the scouts let go from the head on down. Even if that process falls to the President or some other hockey ops head/VP, generally they want their GM and scouting to be on the same page.
My point is GM's don't see all the players the team drafts. They might view the guy taken in round 1 & that's about it. Scouts give their recommendation & the GM has to make the final decision on a player he most likely has never seen play. It's hard to blame the GM if the player the team takes is somebody he knows very little about. The draft comes down to how good your teams scouts are.