• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy CowPies in the 'Lumbus

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 Tidbits: Updated Notes on Upcoming LA Kings Trade Scenarios

Oh no.

We took a deep dive on the likely timing of a Jonathan Quick trade here. Let’s add a brief update to this. If the Florida Panthers can somehow pull off a trade with Columbus for goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, don’t be surprised to see the Blue Jackets announce a deal for Quick soon thereafter. From what we understand, preliminary discussions have taken place and the interest is there. There’s a lot of ifs tied to this scenario; however, it makes good sense on many levels. CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen has to be coming to grips with the fact he will likely lose his top two free agents this summer. Trading them now could hamper their playoff aspirations. Yet, adding Quick would give them cost certainty in net for a few years (Bob is reportedly looking for Carey Price-type money, which is about $10M per season x eight years) and provide a solid mentor for young Joonas Korpisalo. Bobrovsky is 30 years old, two and a half years younger than Quick – and without anywhere near the playoff success. If Columbus did sign their current netminder to a long-term extension, that would almost surely spell the end of Korpisalo’s time in Ohio. For LA, the most curious part of the deal would be if Blake could get a first rounder next season. The Kings already have two this year. Having another pair next year could be better than having three this year. What are the Kings expecting in return for Quick? We covered that in the ‘deep dive’ article linked in the first sentence of this section.

The only worthwhile reason to trade for Quick is to expose him in the Seattle draft. That is it. And if they give up one of their goalie prospects to do it, they are pathetically stupid.
I don't hate the logic - if they're going to trade these pieces and do a big re-jigging of the lineup they can't just let the roster catch up for the next two years and continue a never-ending build, and they can't contend without a good goalie (which Bob hasn't been this year anyway).

Would an aging Jonathan Quick be my first choice for the next 4 years? Probably not, but I can't see a scenario where Columbus finds better for less unless they want to wait for the NYI goalies to hit the market and take a flier on one of them.

If LA eats a mil of Quick's deal it would be palatable.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate the logic - if they're going to trade these pieces and do a big re-jigging of the lineup they can't just let the roster catch up for the next two years and continue a never-ending build, and they can't contend without a good goalie (which Bob hasn't been this year anyway).

Would an aging Jonathan Quick be my first choice for the next 4 years? Probably not, but I can't see a scenario where Columbus finds better for less unless they want to wait for the NYI goalies to hit the market and take a flier on one of them.

If LA eats a mil of Quick's deal it would be palatable.

When you look at the UFA goalies this year and the goalie pipeline the Jackets have coming, any goalie who will be 38 at the end of his current deal is not the best idea to add in to the mix. especially one who is as often hurt as Quick is. No question when he's on, he's great. But has he really been "on" in two years?

LA Eating salary will help, but I don't know if it will be enough.

I'd rather get a steady guy like Reimer in the return fro Bob (he won't win games, but he won't lose them either) and grab someone like Elliot, Varlamov, Lehner or Howard for a few years while Elvis finishes baking. Korpisalo isn't the answer, but some goalie coaches will probably see enough upside to take him in a trade and work on him.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don’t see the upside of two years of Elliott or maybe Varlamov (none of the others will be signing short term at cheaper than Quick) opposite 4 years of Quick, especially if LA eats a mil.

Then I gotta ask, when does Columbus contend? Because it’s getting near the point where they’re wasting primes. Shit, they just had one of the best scorers in the league for two years and aren’t going to see any success from that acquisition before he leaves.

Attendance is down, and I know small market bean counters hate that. If they start missing the playoffs, that’s undoing some good years of work in building a fan base there.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liquid lunch today, 43?

Meh. You always know what you are gonna get with him. He doesn't seem to have wild swings. And with Corsi looking after him he can be decent. He will never be a starter.

I guess I just don’t see the upside of two years of Elliott or maybe Varlamov (none of the others will be signing short term at cheaper than Quick) opposite 4 years of Quick, especially if LA eats a mil.

Then I gotta ask, when does Columbus contend? Because it’s getting near the point where they’re wasting primes. Shit, they just had one of the best scorers in the league for two years and aren’t going to see any success from that acquisition before he leaves.

Attendance is down, and I know small market bean counters hate that. If they start missing the playoffs, that’s undoing some good years of work in building a fan base there.

I think the Jackets' window opens in 2-3 years. I think they realize that Merzlikins or Tarasov is the guy in net that will get them there, and a veteran to hold the fort until then is needed. Quick could be it, but he's high risk, IMO. As you said, LA holding cash makes it more palatable. They have some decent prospects coming up front that will balance the scoring. If they can use the Panarin/Bob situation to land one or two guys with big skill (note-Derick Brassard is not it) it could be huge.

Honestly, I think the elephant in the room right now is the coach. He's not reaching some guys (hiring St Louis to try), his screaming is not having it's effect and two legendary coaches are currently unemployed.

They have to be thinking about Torts' shelf life and whether or not he can get them past this moment. And his assistants are hot garbage.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now, but Pierre-Luc Dubois has matched his point total from all of last season.

He is also the youngest Jacket to have 2 20 goal seasons.

And, for the petty among us, he is currently outscoring Johansen.

Kid might work out.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now, but Pierre-Luc Dubois has matched his point total from all of last season.

He is also the youngest Jacket to have 2 20 goal seasons.

And, for the petty among us, he is currently outscoring Johansen.

Kid might work out.

Jesse PullyourRV has 17 goals...oh, that's for his career.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Time for a LTI-Retirement

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

th

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LUNCH TIME

giphy.gif

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has time to change agents during the season, but but not talk contract.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has time to change agents during the season, but but not talk contract.

Maybe he wanted to talk, it was the agent who screwed it up. Remember he said he would talk during All Star Week and then the agent said they wouldn't.

The fact that he's going to Bob's agent is worrysome. Make him a final offer this week and then trade him if he doesn't take it. No self rental. Enough teams have stated interest that there should be assets available to get him.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he wanted to talk, it was the agent who screwed it up. Remember he said he would talk during All Star Week and then the agent said they wouldn't.

The fact that he's going to Bob's agent is worrysome. Make him a final offer this week and then trade him if he doesn't take it. No self rental. Enough teams have stated interest that there should be assets available to get him.
Hopefully you're right and his new agent will discuss potential long term deals with other teams

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully you're right and his new agent will discuss potential long term deals with other teams

Big rumor that the Preds want him and are willing to part with Tolvainen and one of Smith or Fiala.

I wouldn't be able to sign that deal fast enough.

Boston, Nashville, Florida and Chicago have all stated interest. Rumored interest from Philly and NYI as well.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Twatwaffle chimes in.

"Uhhh, I... I will make some phone calls... please don't say I got scooped."