• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy CowPies in the 'Lumbus

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not defending that regime because they got literally almost everything wrong for many years, but it's not like picking Brule at the time over Kopi was a huge shock or crazy. He was the third-highest scorer in the W in a season in which the first and second-leading scorers were drafted two years before Brule would be (and the fourth-highest was drafted a year before them) and all played for a Wheat Kings team that made it to the WHL final. I'm sure there were just as many teams that had Brule higher on their board than Kopitar as there were vice versa.

Also, Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan and Benoit Pouliot were all also taken before Columbus got to pick were, two of whom who were taken by GM's that would win the next two Stanley Cups. Hawks, Sharks, Canucks and Sens all whiffed before the Kings finally took Kopi as well. Lots of people missed on this one.

Another of his quotes was "We wanted either Brule or Johnson, so we're happy" which shows how awful his scouting staff was. Plus they scoffed at Montreal for taking the goalie. The best goalie on earth right now.

I think I was more upset at the refusal to trade 6th for 12th and 35th +. That draft was not deep, and no one expected much beyond Sid and Bobby. So to ignore the chance to turn 1 asset into essentially an identical value asset plus another one, I think it was worth it.

That the second asset wound up being one of my favorite D men in the league is just icing on the kick to the nuts.

I remember the hype train about Brian Lee as well. Boy Ottawa wishes they had a do over.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing the Blue Jackets have won in the last decade, the Tracerse City prospects tourney, is coming. Here's who the Jackets are sending.

ROSTER:

FORWARDS
79 - Vitaly Abramov
76 - Francis Beauvillier
57 - Paul Bittner
18 - Pierre-Luc Dubois
85 - Keegan Kolesar
92 - Darby Llewellyn (FA invite)
64 - Jordan Maletta
22 - Sonny Milano
50 - Nick Moutrey
32 - Dante Salituro
67 - Justin Scott
88 - Kole Sherwood
83 - Calvin Thurkauf

DEFENSE
52 - Stephen Gibson (FA invite)
91 - Jacob Graves
37 - Dillon Heatherington
84 - Frank Hora
65- Markus Nutivaara
86 - Sam Ruopp
78 - Blake Siebenaler
8 - Zach Werenski

GOALIES
80 - Jeremy Brodeur (FA invite)
95 - Lucas Peressini (FA invite)

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eeeek. I mean, I hate the guy as much as anyone, but... someone actually went and made these.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
injury or fat?

/didn't read the article

He had some serious lower back issues last season, and it wasn't unexpected. It's almost like we're finally closing the door on the whole Horton thing (four years later). Clarkson will never play another game. LTIR loophole baby.

Sucks for him as a person, but this is actually good news for the Jackets. Cap room, and no clogged spot for a kid. It's waaaaay too long after it should have been resolved.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what way? Because his contract was literally un-buyoutable. This was pretty much the only way out.

If they would have just exercised patience in the Horton deal instead of Jarmo having such a hard - on to make a splash, they could have insured that contract instead of signing him when he was still technically injured (even though it was a different issue). Then, when Horton's back gave out, they take the insurance, LTIR him and never have to get pressure to trade for a warm body. Clarkson would have remained a Leaf problem.

This should have been resolved in 2013. Clarkson is just a by-product/extension of the Horton thing.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they would have just exercised patience in the Horton deal instead of Jarmo having such a hard - on to make a splash, they could have insured that contract instead of signing him when he was still technically injured (even though it was a different issue). Then, when Horton's back gave out, they take the insurance, LTIR him and never have to get pressure to trade for a warm body. Clarkson would have remained a Leaf problem.

This should have been resolved in 2013. Clarkson is just a by-product/extension of the Horton thing.
Thank god it didn't :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell's buyout cap hit plummets after this season. If he has a bad year, be it of his own doing or because the coach is a twat, that kinda move wouldn't shock me.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell's buyout cap hit plummets after this season. If he has a bad year, be it of his own doing or because the coach is a twat, that kinda move wouldn't shock me.

He's in for a rough season, no matter what. But Torts, if he had a brain, should tread lightly.

Wennberg, Karlsson, Murray, Dano (though he's gone) and Korpisalo all credit Hartnell will helping them along and getting used to NHL life. Wennberg calls him "dad".

With potentially three more rookies and all of those guys but Dano on the team, Torts would do well to have Hartnell selling shit on his behalf. Making him some locker room pariah will not work out well.

I know, Torts don't care. I just don't want to live through another toxic locker room. Togetherness is about all they have.