• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy CowPies in the 'Lumbus

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets have to re-sign Schiefele and Trouba, amongst other RFA's. Also need to figure out their goaltending in case Hellebuyck isn't ready. They also have the ammunition to swing a trade for a star if one becomes available so they would probably save the cap space for that possibility.

If I had to guess on Hartnell, Buffalo, Brooklyn and Ottawa all would make sense.

Lot of talk about Nashville as well. Apparently a deal was close at the deadline, but Hartnell didn't waive for a while and Nashville changed terms once he did.

Note to Kenny: I am aware that Zach Smith is a center. Don't say it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No space in Calgary for Hartnell, need to sign Moneyhands and Johnny Hockey to new contracts plus who knows how much a good goalie is going to cost.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No space in Calgary for Hartnell, need to sign Moneyhands and Johnny Hockey to new contracts plus who knows how much a good goalie is going to cost.

I can solve the goaltending problem with Joonas Korpisalo. And we can also take care of that pesky "signing Monahan" issue as well. There is room for Hartnell. Trust me.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell doesn't make sense for Ottawa for a number of reasons:

1) He has a NMC and would HAVE to be protected come June. Ottawa is pretty much at it's limit already so this would mean exposing a good young player.

2) He makes too much money for our cheapskate owner.

3)The Sens are a year or two (at best) away from truly competing. Hartnell will be 36-37 by then. He doesn't fit well with the age group of Ottawa's core.

It's too bad because outside of the business side of things he's be a good fit for this year's team.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad because outside of the business side of things he's be a good fit for this year's team.

Ditto. He's done amazing things for Wennberg and Karlsson. Dano too when he was here.

Just realized this: Since being traded for him nearly 16 months ago, David Clarkson has outscored Nathan Horton by four points.

Trade: won!

Q2BmE.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell doesn't make sense for Ottawa for a number of reasons:

1) He has a NMC and would HAVE to be protected come June. Ottawa is pretty much at it's limit already so this would mean exposing a good young player.

2) He makes too much money for our cheapskate owner.

3)The Sens are a year or two (at best) away from truly competing. Hartnell will be 36-37 by then. He doesn't fit well with the age group of Ottawa's core.

Those are all things that could've been said about Dion Phaneuf (except for that last part, although you may see it differently) but the Sens made that deal.

Maybe that was the only older high-paid vet they had the space to bring in, though.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are all things that could've been said about Dion Phaneuf (except for that last part, although you may see it differently) but the Sens made that deal.

Maybe that was the only older high-paid vet they had the space to bring in, though.

He also filled a gaping hole on the team and allowed the Sens to dump 3 horrendous contracts for one bad contract.

Hartnell hardly fills a gaping hole. He falls more in the luxury category.

Phaneuf won't cause a good young player to be exposed either. At worst Methot will be exposed at age 31. The situation is different at forward.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong thread.

Attachments

• anigif_enhanced-buzz-8612-1374260503-1.gif
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-8612-1374260503-1.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also filled a gaping hole on the team and allowed the Sens to dump 3 horrendous contracts for one bad contract.

Hartnell hardly fills a gaping hole. He falls more in the luxury category.

Phaneuf won't cause a good young player to be exposed either. At worst Methot will be exposed at age 31. The situation is different at forward.
Phaneuf's contract is 5 more years at $7 mil. It's far worse than "bad". Sens may have had a hole to fill but if they aren't going to compete for another year or two as you say what was the harm in holding onto Greening and Michalek for one more year (not to mention the second rounder they sent to T.O as well)?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phaneuf's contract is 5 more years at $7 mil. It's far worse than "bad". Sens may have had a hole to fill but if they aren't going to compete for another year or two as you say what was the harm in holding onto Greening and Michalek for one more year (not to mention the second rounder they sent to T.O as well)?

Ottawa cares nothing about the cap hit. It's actual dollars that matter. As far as dollars in and dollars out they're paying Dion about $4M/per year, hardly a problem. His contract is obviously tough to move and the last year or two he'll be likely in decline but I'm certainly OK with ~4 mil for a top 4 defenseman.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ottawa cares nothing about the cap hit. It's actual dollars that matter. As far as dollars in and dollars out they're paying Dion about $4M/per year, hardly a problem. His contract is obviously tough to move and the last year or two he'll be likely in decline but I'm certainly OK with ~4 mil for a top 4 defenseman.
Where are you getting those dollar figures from?

According to generalfanager, the lowest his actual salary will be until the end of his deal is $5.5 mil with a $2.5 mil bonus in the last year of his deal. He isn't making less than $7.5 mil/yr with his salary and bonus combined between now and expiration (unless I'm reading it wrong and the bonus makes up a part of the figure listed in "NHL Salary", but still a far cry from $4 mil/yr).

Dion Phaneuf | General Fanager

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you getting those dollar figures from?

According to generalfanager, the lowest his actual salary will be until the end of his deal is $5.5 mil with a $2.5 mil bonus in the last year of his deal. He isn't making less than $7.5 mil/yr with his salary and bonus combined between now and expiration (unless I'm reading it wrong and the bonus makes up a part of the figure listed in "NHL Salary", but still a far cry from $4 mil/yr).

Dion Phaneuf | General Fanager

Dion Phaneuf will be paid $33M for the next 5 years.

Jared Cowen was due $4M.

Coling greening was due $3M

Milan Michalek was due $4M.

Incoming $33M. Outgoing $11M. Net $22M divided by 5 years of Phaneuf = $4.4M.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dion Phaneuf will be paid $33M for the next 5 years.

Jared Cowen was due $4M.

Coling greening was due $3M

Milan Michalek was due $4M.

Incoming $33M. Outgoing $11M. Net $22M divided by 5 years of Phaneuf = $4.4M.
But they took on a burden of $7 million real dollars a year for the years you say they expect to be contending. Savings or not those $7 million are still going to be paid to a $4 million (at best) player when there may be other expensive players available that can actually help the team.

But, if you're happy that's all that matters. The day Phaneuf was traded was my happiest day as a Leaf fan since 2002 so you'll see no complaints here :D

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they took on a burden of $7 million real dollars a year for the years you say they expect to be contending. Savings or not those $7 million are still going to be paid to a $4 million (at best) player when there may be other expensive players available that can actually help the team.

But, if you're happy that's all that matters. The day Phaneuf was traded was my happiest day as a Leaf fan since 2002 so you'll see no complaints here :D

Hey, I'd rather the guy was getting $4M actual dollars but he would have never been available in that case. This was, IMO, a creative way to get rid of 3 bad contracts (although I hope Michalek rebounds) and get a top 4 D for pretty good actual dollars.

The alternative was to pay the $11M owed to those 3 players, let them walk for nothing, then try to sign a UFA top 4 D. That'd likely be closer to Dion's cap hit of $7.2M (and in actual dollars) than it is to his real money expenditure of $4.4M.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackets rookie camp opens today, and in keeping with their tradition of apparently having a fetish for kids and relatives of former NHL greats, they have invited Jeremy Brodeur to camp.

Blue Jackets to hold annual development camp at OhioHealth Ice Haus from June 27-30

Looking forward to seeing Gabe Carlsson. I hope he makes the jump to North America this season. Could be a wild card on the blue line going forward. Provided he's grown into his frame.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooooo, assuming Jarmo doesn't try to spend (waste) any of his newfound 4m in cap space (9m if you assume Clarkman on LTIR) on some UFA bombshell or actually get to trade Hartnell, we might be able to predict the Jackets opening night lineup.

I will go with:
Atkinson - Jenner - Saad
Foligno - Wennberg - Dubinsky
Bjorkstrand - Dubois - Milano/Anderson (Kid line)
Calvert - Campbell - Hartnell/Karlsson

Yes, a slight reach on Dubois, but the kid has a legit shot with the lack of other centers. I'd love to give him his 9 games with Bjork and Milano to get a preview of the future. Then, if it looks good, keep him.

Also have Hannakeinen if they need more speed.

D:
Jones - Werenski
Murray - Goloubef
Savard - Johnson

Kukan and Prout available to step in. Ramage with an outside shot as well. Harrington probably doesn't crack the lineup.

G:
Bob
Tabasco (for his last year as official gate opener0 If bob pops a groin again, it's all Joonas).

Welp. That's what we got.