• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy CowPies in the 'Lumbus

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get the Hat Trick, we want Patrick!

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of hate to bring this up with the pain of the season so fresh, but are you at all worried about a Seth Jones offer sheet?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Columbus the only team in the league whose cap hit next season is already higher than it was this season?

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of hate to bring this up with the pain of the season so fresh, but are you at all worried about a Seth Jones offer sheet?

Well, there was some concern with that and Ryan Johansen and the club said they'd just match whatever and they apparently didn't think much of him. They *like* Jones.

I'd have to have a look and see who can offer sheet him before I decide if I am worried. Cap going down and not sure who has the picks to do it. That could change things drastically.

Best case, he gets an offer and the Jackets match - negotiation done.

Worst case, he gets an offer sheet, Jackets don't match, get picks and Werenski has a definite shot on the top pair. The blocked road for Werenski is the Jackets 2nd biggest worry this offseason. Behind needing a #1 Centre.

Is Columbus the only team in the league whose cap hit next season is already higher than it was this season?

Bourque comes off this year. That's 3.3m. Plus I imagine buyouts for McIlhiney, Boll and possibly Johnson or Tyutin (one - not both) if they can't package them up.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there was some concern with that and Ryan Johansen and the club said they'd just match whatever and they apparently didn't think much of him. They *like* Jones.

I'd have to have a look and see who can offer sheet him before I decide if I am worried. Cap going down and not sure who has the picks to do it. That could change things drastically.

Worst case, he gets an offer sheet, Jackets don't match, get picks and Werenski has a definite shot on the top pair. The blocked road for Werenski is the Jackets 2nd biggest worry this offseason. Behind needing a #1 Centre.

Bourque comes off this year. That's 3.3m. Plus I imagine buyouts for McIlhiney, Boll and possibly Johnson or Tyutin (one - not both) if they can't package them up.

I know they would like to match any offer sheet on Jones, my question was more if/how they were going to be able to. It looks to me like it might be harder to figure out than you seem to be anticipating, but of course that depends more on what the other 29 teams are thinking than it does on what I'm thinking.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The two guys posting in this thread right now should be an indicator of one team that could do it :wink:. I wouldn't hesitate to give up the Leafs' 1, 2, 3 in 2017 for him (or trade in advance using the threat of an offer sheet).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two guys posting in this thread right now should be an indicator of one team that could do it :wink:. I wouldn't hesitate to give up the Leafs' 1, 2, 3 in 2017 for him (or trade in advance using the threat of an offer sheet).
Personally I wouldn't hesitate, but I don't know that Shanny/Lou would buy into that and I think the Jackets would sooner trade Hartnell to free up the space.

It definitely gives Jones all the leverage on earth, though, because this would all have to be done by July 1. At the very least Edmonton would almost 100% make an offer. Maybe the Isles too if they can't convince Hamonic to stay.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I wouldn't hesitate, but I don't know that Shanny/Lou would buy into that and I think the Jackets would sooner trade Hartnell to free up the space.

It definitely gives Jones all the leverage on earth, though, because this would all have to be done by July 1. At the very least Edmonton would almost 100% make an offer. Maybe the Isles too if they can't convince Hamonic to stay.

Of course they would rather trade Hartnell, but my understanding is that there wasn't interest in Hartnell when they shopped him at the deadline due to the term, he still has 3 more years and will be 37 by the time his deal ends.

They've got 7 guys making $4.5+ million with some term, but Johnson is the only one without a no-movement clause and Saad might be the only one that I'd personally be willing to trade for without the Jackets throwing in a bunch of money or picks, or both.

I think they'll get out of it and sign Jones somehow because it would be rather embarrassing if they didn't after trading for him, but it seems to me like it could be very difficult/painful to do so. I'd be willing to make a deal that isn't so painful for them.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they would rather trade Hartnell, but my understanding is that there wasn't interest in Hartnell when they shopped him at the deadline due to the term, he still has 3 more years and will be 37 by the time his deal ends.

They've got 7 guys making $4.5+ million with some term, but Johnson is the only one without a no-movement clause and Saad might be the only one that I'd personally be willing to trade for without the Jackets throwing in a bunch of money or picks, or both.

I think they'll get out of it and sign Jones somehow because it would be rather embarrassing if they didn't after trading for him, but it seems to me like it could be very difficult/painful to do so. I'd be willing to make a deal that isn't so painful for them.

Jarmo has to know that losing Jones to an offer sheet (or a long hold out) would be his last act as a GM. He has JD shielding him to some degree, but that would just be a complete and abject failure. I don't see how he could recover from that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarmo has to know that losing Jones to an offer sheet (or a long hold out) would be his last act as a GM. He has JD shielding him to some degree, but that would just be a complete and abject failure. I don't see how he could recover from that.
This is what I believe. It would be abject humiliation if they lost Jones.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Flames should put in an offer sheet for Mrazek? I wouldn't mind trying a Mrazek/Ortio tandem.
My guess is Detroit either buys out Howard or trades Mrazek at the draft. If Holland exposes Mrazek to an offer sheet he should be shot for his sheer stupidity.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, of that list I think the Leafs would be more inclined to try to offer sheet Nathan Mackinnon, and even then that would only be if they can't get Stamkos.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabriel Carlsson signs ELC

Wild card. Big, skates well. Defensively responsible.

No chance he makes the team next year though. Too many unmovable objects in front of him.