• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy CowPies in the 'Lumbus

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the comments section:

dutchman1350
December 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Torts is 100% correct. 15 years of futility. CBJ fans are sick of poor effort. I’m thrilled he is calling out players, the team. This organization needs a public voice and the players need to hear it.

I understand why people dislike Torts, but his bravado is desperately needed right now for the CBJ.

I can't stand people who are intolerant of other people's cultures...and the Dutch.

I really must find where everyone else is getting their kool aid.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RyJo with an assist and 12:24 of ice time last night - I guess that's love, Torts style.

/Dubi had just over 20 minutes TOI.

Last edited:

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob is coming back!

tumblr_loaezfxyKk1qha7gso1_500.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about everyone knows the book on Tortorella. He distances young players. His system is focused on playing a tight box, throwing bodycheck after bodycheck, wearing shot after shot in the defensive zone and ultra-reliant on bail-the-team-out goaltending. It always ends in the same way: his teams being possession drags that eventually lose by way of unfavourable shot volume.

It’s important to note that we have years and years (and years) of data on Tortorella, and his record is as appalling as it is consistent. This data presumably was readily available to the suits tasked with finding their next coach. Anyone in Columbus could have gone through and found what I pulled out in a matter of minutes:

torts-effect.png

This is over hundreds of games and thousands upon thousands of minutes. His teams become worse when he appears and they improve when he leaves. Like clockwork. He has his occasional peaks like any other bench boss who has spent time in the league – it’s just that his valleys are much more painful

The John Tortorella Effect

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about everyone knows the book on Tortorella. He distances young players. His system is focused on playing a tight box, throwing bodycheck after bodycheck, wearing shot after shot in the defensive zone and ultra-reliant on bail-the-team-out goaltending. It always ends in the same way: his teams being possession drags that eventually lose by way of unfavourable shot volume.

It’s important to note that we have years and years (and years) of data on Tortorella, and his record is as appalling as it is consistent. This data presumably was readily available to the suits tasked with finding their next coach. Anyone in Columbus could have gone through and found what I pulled out in a matter of minutes:

View attachment 71910

This is over hundreds of games and thousands upon thousands of minutes. His teams become worse when he appears and they improve when he leaves. Like clockwork. He has his occasional peaks like any other bench boss who has spent time in the league – it’s just that his valleys are much more painful

The bolded is what is so important. Tortorella's basement is just so low and that defines how good you are in pro sports on so many levels.

I can actually use myself as an example. At around age 17-18 I had some high end golf coaches because i had high end talent. I was a bean-pole (a short one albeit) who could launch it 290-300 (I still can) and I had a great touch around the green. One of the coaches told me this straight up (in 1992): Kenny.. you can hit every shot that Tom Kite, and with time Tom Watson, can hit. Your best shot is AT LEAST as good their best shot!!

Sounds good right?

Well.. what they told me next was that my worst shot in a given round was SOOOOO much worse than theirs. If I wanted a future in the game I needed to make that "worst" shot much better. I worked at it really hard and I got better but it never got good enough. I can still hit every shot that Jim Furyk can but... well you guys can fill in the rest.

That story could apply to Torts. I'm just not sure he ever tried to raise that "worst shot", yet he still gets NHL jobs.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded is what is so important. Tortorella's basement is just so low and that defines how good you are in pro sports on so many levels.

I can actually use myself as an example. At around age 17-18 I had some high end golf coaches because i had high end talent. I was a bean-pole (a short one albeit) who could launch it 290-300 (I still can) and I had a great touch around the green. One of the coaches told me this straight up (in 1992): Kenny.. you can hit every shot that Tom Kite, and with time Tom Watson, can hit. Your best shot is AT LEAST as good their best shot!!

Sounds good right?

Well.. what they told me next was that my worst shot in a given round was SOOOOO much worse than theirs. If I wanted a future in the game I needed to make that "worst" shot much better. I worked at it really hard and I got better but it never got good enough. I can still hit every shot that Jim Furyk can but... well you guys can fill in the rest.

That story could apply to Torts. I'm just not sure he ever tried to raise that "worst shot", yet he still gets NHL jobs.
That...and he sucks.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 71910

"Yet another article written by someone who clearly hasn't been paying attention to the Blue Jackets this season."

"This guy has a huge issue with Torts and is very biased as I believe he is from Vancouver. I wouldn't take this very seriously."

"For the most part its a pretty unimaginative and poorly researched article"

"Did he make Tampa Bay worse when he took them to the finals and won? How many times did he take the Rangers to the playoffs? Can't be that bad."

I hope that Kool Aid comes in Grape. I like Grape.

Sounds good right?

*golf clap* (no pun intended)

I tell every goalie I work with the old Patrick Roy quote. "to play in the NHL you have to stop 90 out of every 100 shots. That's what it takes to be good enough. The difference between good and great is getting to as many of the other ten as you can."

And if you are not n position to get to 90, you don't make the league. It's about risk management. Limiting the bottoming out. You can be great at moments, but if you can't limit the bad you don't go far. In any sport. At any position. Even behind the bench or in the front office.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Yet another article written by someone who clearly hasn't been paying attention to the Blue Jackets this season."

"This guy has a huge issue with Torts and is very biased as I believe he is from Vancouver. I wouldn't take this very seriously."

"For the most part its a pretty unimaginative and poorly researched article"

"Did he make Tampa Bay worse when he took them to the finals and won? How many times did he take the Rangers to the playoffs? Can't be that bad."

I hope that Kool Aid comes in Grape. I like Grape.

*golf clap* (no pun intended)

I tell every goalie I work with the old Patrick Roy quote. "to play in the NHL you have to stop 90 out of every 100 shots. That's what it takes to be good enough. The difference between good and great is getting to as many of the other ten as you can."

And if you are not n position to get to 90, you don't make the league. It's about risk management. Limiting the bottoming out. You can be great at moments, but if you can't limit the bad you don't go far. In any sport. At any position. Even behind the bench or in the front office.
Unless youre a Toronto goalie

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torts: consistently mediocre, paired with very low valleys and occasional peaks. Yep. The people that use examples with the Lightning: the game is so very vastly different now...it was TWO lockouts ago, don't waste your breath or fingers bringing it up. Rangers success? Well, there's this guy on their team named Henrik. He's good. Talent can trump idiotic systems/coaching sometimes. His system is built on blocking shots and great goaltending, and he had the best goalie in the prime of his career from 09-13. Coaches LIVE AND DIE BY GOALIES. Also, it's amazing how he has this reputation in the hockey world as being a worthy coach when his postseason track record since the Cup win isn't very grand. Missed playoffs or out in the first round seven of the nine years years since, one conference final and one second round exit. It seems so easy when you see his resume that he's not the answer...but it seems the NHL is so freaking scared of an unknown that they'd rather force something they know doesn't work. With the stat information we have available, as shown, it's simply irresponsible. Stats aren't everything, but you can't just ignore that. It's arrogant. "No, no...that's not right. I've seen him with my own eyes. Those numbers mean nothing." Stats are a great tool to add to the toolbox. USE THEM YOU SILLY NHL GMs.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Tampa, I've said it before, Dave Andreychuk was on that team. Dave Andreychuk had a reputation for helping guys in the locker room cope with crap.

The thing about the Rangers is they got to the playoffs and then fizzled. He wasn't happy with the team. He left and that same exact team went to the Finals the next year.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sources inside the locker room said that Tortorella still can't tell the difference between Foligno and Bobrovsky without their helmets on and he gave "Foligno" a cup check with a frozen water bottle.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Tampa, I've said it before, Dave Andreychuk was on that team. Dave Andreychuk had a reputation for helping guys in the locker room cope with crap.

The thing about the Rangers is they got to the playoffs and then fizzled. He wasn't happy with the team. He left and that same exact team went to the Finals the next year.

Did you read the stuff coming about in regards to the captaincy? Think it's hot air that comes about during tough times, or no?

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read the stuff coming about in regards to the captaincy? Think it's hot air that comes about during tough times, or no?

Not sure what specifically you are referring to, but that talk started the second they hired Tortorella and he said all that high praise about Dubinsky. There is a Kool-Aid smelling contingent amongst the locals that thought Dubinsky should have been the Captain all along.

My feeling is, I like Foligno. And with the team being young and loose, he was the right choice. He's a goofball, helps keep teammates loose and takes accountability on the ice. He's a good guy, and his teammates really like him. For last year's team, the team we thought we were gonna get this year, he is the perfect choice.

But now that Torts is there, Nick is completely neutralized as captain. I imagine that Torts doesn't allow shenanigans in his room. Everyone is so tense and tight and worried every other second whether they are getting moved up to the top line or benched and nothing they do on the ice seems to actually have any effect on that. A guy like Foligno isn't going to goofy that out of the room. Because in the back of his mind, he's gotta think that a joke that he might have made last year to lighten the mood might get him benched. Better safe than sorry.

Dubinsky would be a terrible captain. He's a liability defensively, and prone to doing something "in the heat of the moment" every shift that could wind up getting himself suspended. He's Shane Doan with less heart.

And there is no Stevie Y/Messier/Ron Francis in that room with the clout to make the room pull together.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what specifically you are referring to, but that talk started the second they hired Tortorella and he said all that high praise about Dubinsky. There is a Kool-Aid smelling contingent amongst the locals that thought Dubinsky should have been the Captain all along.

My feeling is, I like Foligno. And with the team being young and loose, he was the right choice. He's a goofball, helps keep teammates loose and takes accountability on the ice. He's a good guy, and his teammates really like him. For last year's team, the team we thought we were gonna get this year, he is the perfect choice.

But now that Torts is there, Nick is completely neutralized as captain. I imagine that Torts doesn't allow shenanigans in his room. Everyone is so tense and tight and worried every other second whether they are getting moved up to the top line or benched and nothing they do on the ice seems to actually have any effect on that. A guy like Foligno isn't going to goofy that out of the room. Because in the back of his mind, he's gotta think that a joke that he might have made last year to lighten the mood might get him benched. Better safe than sorry.

Dubinsky would be a terrible captain. He's a liability defensively, and prone to doing something "in the heat of the moment" every shift that could wind up getting himself suspended. He's Shane Doan with less heart.

And there is no Stevie Y/Messier/Ron Francis in that room with the clout to make the room pull together.
Describing Dubinsky as Doan...is perfect. What I was referring to I can't find again and it's ticking me off. I think it was bull anyway, but referenced that the decision came from the FO (duh...) and the team wanted Dubi (ooookay?) and that they spent the summer teaching Foligno how to be a captain basically. Just...weird stuff.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Describing Dubinsky as Doan...is perfect. What I was referring to I can't find again and it's ticking me off. I think it was bull anyway, but referenced that the decision came from the FO (duh...) and the team wanted Dubi (ooookay?) and that they spent the summer teaching Foligno how to be a captain basically. Just...weird stuff.

Team as in players? Seeing what I have on the ice this year, I doubt it. I think the players are sick of Dubinski getting the golden boy treatment from coach.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team as in players? Seeing what I have on the ice this year, I doubt it. I think the players are sick of Dubinski getting the golden boy treatment from coach.

Yeah, that's what was alluded to. But this is referencing the decision to make him captain, so not even this years team. It was boatloads of speculation.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other Jackets news...

Columbus Blue Jackets 2013 first-round pick Kerby Rychel asked for a trade before the season began, The Columbus Dispatch's Aaron Portzline reports.

Selected 19th overall, Rychel's played 16 games over the past two seasons for the Blue Jackets, and is still searching for his first NHL goal. He had three assists in five games last season, and has three assists in 11 games in 2015-16.

According to Portzline, Rychel's agent and his father met with the Blue Jackets at development camp this fall to ask why Rychel was so low on Columbus' depth chart. It's assumed that's when the trade request was made. However, the Blue Jackets aren't interested in trading the 21-year-old, Portzline adds.

Rychel's spent most of this season with the American Hockey League's Lake Erie Monsters, where he has five goals and 12 assists in 19 games, along with 43 penalty minutes

Portzline lists a number of teams reportedly interested in acquiring the son of former NHLer Warren Rychel:

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
Calgary Flames
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
New York Rangers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Rychel has 50 points (17 goals, 33 assists) in 70 career AHL games.

Report: Blue Jackets' Rychel asked for trade before season started

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other Jackets news...

Columbus Blue Jackets 2013 first-round pick Kerby Rychel asked for a trade before the season began, The Columbus Dispatch's Aaron Portzline reports.

Selected 19th overall, Rychel's played 16 games over the past two seasons for the Blue Jackets, and is still searching for his first NHL goal. He had three assists in five games last season, and has three assists in 11 games in 2015-16.

According to Portzline, Rychel's agent and his father met with the Blue Jackets at development camp this fall to ask why Rychel was so low on Columbus' depth chart. It's assumed that's when the trade request was made. However, the Blue Jackets aren't interested in trading the 21-year-old, Portzline adds.

Rychel's spent most of this season with the American Hockey League's Lake Erie Monsters, where he has five goals and 12 assists in 19 games, along with 43 penalty minutes

Portzline lists a number of teams reportedly interested in acquiring the son of former NHLer Warren Rychel:

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
Calgary Flames
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
New York Rangers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Rychel has 50 points (17 goals, 33 assists) in 70 career AHL games.

Report: Blue Jackets' Rychel asked for trade before season started

5763428843_c0285eb227_o_d.png

He's been trying to beat that drum for a long time.

There was a meeting, and at the time it was reported that the discussion was "where does Kerby fit?". Playing top minutes and having an impact on the AHL team is where he fits right now. Too much chaff in the way on the big club and having him play 4th line minutes in the NHL is a waste. We have Johansen and Foligno for that. He got the first call up, and rest assured if he had scored a few goals and played top six hockey he'd still be up there. (in theory - Torts still wouldn't know his name)

Seems to me that if it was true AND the Bruins are a team that is interested, then surely the Jackets could have been in on the Dougie Hamilton thing, no? Or when it became apparent that the Defense was shit, that any one of those "interested" teams could have had someone who could help.

In summary; shut up twatwaffle.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^Why in God's name wasn't the 6th attacker back between the circles? All three "D" were within 15 feet of the draw. Neither winger converged on the dot, center whiffed.... If a D man was deep, and what happened happened, then it's a transition forward. Everyone asleep there. :L

Or better yet, why keep the goalie out with 17 to go? Win the draw and attack, it's time to get him to the bench and have the 6th join.

Oh, well. It's a new NHL record. Fastest two goals by opposing teams. 1.7 seconds.