• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Colorado Avalanche(1) vs. Minnesota Wild(WC 1) | WCQF

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been watching this team for 2 decades and have seen plenty of opponents benefit from similar calls and non-calls. Poor officiating sucks, but I'm not going to bow down and renounce this win. Everything evens out over time. Get over it and get ready for game 6.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Patty Wah not only got his players balls on the table, but the zebras balls in a vise as well...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could look at it another way.

Those hockey Gods are a fickle bunch. Matt Cooke, a guy who should be run out of the league on a rail, gets to laugh in the face of all that is right with the game, and the Avs get two gifts to tie it up and take the series lead...

The Gods don't often intervene, but when they do... the signature is pretty clear.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The holding play I guess they would have a point but technically, isn't Paul Stastny still on-side because he had the back foot still behind the line?

Yes. Here's the rule.

83.1 Off-side – Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck into the attacking zone.
The position of the player’s skates and not that of his stick shall be the determining factor in all instances in deciding an off-side. A player is off-side when both skates are completely over the leadingedge of the blue line involved in the play.
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leadingedge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.
It should be noted that while the position of the player’s skates is what determines whether a player is “off-side,” nevertheless the question of an “off-side” never arises until the puck has completely crossed the leading edge of the blueline at which time the decision is to be made.
If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those hockey Gods are a fickle bunch. Matt Cooke, a guy who should be run out of the league on a rail, gets to laugh in the face of all that is right with the game, and the Avs get two gifts to tie it up and take the series lead...

The Gods don't often intervene, but when they do... the signature is pretty clear.

You mean the Gods didn't appreciate Gabe Landeskog getting the same 2 min penalty for shooting a snowcone over Kuemper's shoulder that Cooke received for blowing out a kid's knee? :noidea:

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patty saying that he believes Matt Duchene will be back in the line up come Monday night. No word yet on Johnny Mitchell.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay; fine - The Landeskog/Kuemper & the Granlund/Varly incident penalties were 'washes', Stasny was onside to the letter of the rules & the Coyle/Benoit incident was a case of the refs can't see everything.

... That still leaves what was to my mind by far the worst call of the night; Koivu getting two minutes for ... what?? - All that I saw was Landeskog holding his stick for a good 10+ seconds, then sucker-punching him in the back of the head as he tried to disengage.

... And the Avs scored on the resultant PP.

That one will rankle with me for some time.

Oh, well; on to Monday night...

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Here's the rule.

83.1 Off-side – Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck into the attacking zone.
The position of the player’s skates and not that of his stick shall be the determining factor in all instances in deciding an off-side. A player is off-side when both skates are completely over the leadingedge of the blue line involved in the play.
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leadingedge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.
It should be noted that while the position of the player’s skates is what determines whether a player is “off-side,” nevertheless the question of an “off-side” never arises until the puck has completely crossed the leading edge of the blueline at which time the decision is to be made.
If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.

The common interpretation of that rule is that a skate has to be in contact with the ice in order to count towards being onside. I haven't seen it in the NHL rules, but I recall at least a few calls made because a guy had his back skate off the ice.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The common interpretation of that rule is that a skate has to be in contact with the ice in order to count towards being onside. I haven't seen it in the NHL rules, but I recall at least a few calls made because a guy had his back skate off the ice.

I dunno man, rule 83.1 makes no mention of the skate blade contacting the surface of the ice. It was a close play, but Stastny was by no means "clearly off-sides"

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno man, rule 83.1 makes no mention of the skate blade contacting the surface of the ice. It was a close play, but Stastny was by no means "clearly off-sides"

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's clarified (either for or against) somewhere else, or just left ambiguous. I'd like for the NHL to specify that soft of thing.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could go on and on about this. P.A. Parenteau was CLEARLY on-sides in game 2 AND scored a goal that was disallowed. Go back and look. It all evens out.

Maybe if Suter would have not been lazy and jumped into the play instead of sitting back and watching, Stastny wouldn't have got to the rebound that Stastny fed to Parenteau?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll take it even further - the hockey gods are finally paying the Wild back for their clueless owner shelling out the money for those two Parise and Suter contracts and then immediately causing a lockout by saying he can't afford the salaries. Ever since Bob Neagle Jr. sold this team, it has lost it's direction.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's clarified (either for or against) somewhere else, or just left ambiguous. I'd like for the NHL to specify that soft of thing.
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leadingedge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick.

seems pretty clear already unless you are having a little trouble with reading comprehension.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay; fine - The Landeskog/Kuemper & the Granlund/Varly incident penalties were 'washes', Stasny was onside to the letter of the rules & the Coyle/Benoit incident was a case of the refs can't see everything.

... That still leaves what was to my mind by far the worst call of the night; Koivu getting two minutes for ... what?? - All that I saw was Landeskog holding his stick for a good 10+ seconds, then sucker-punching him in the back of the head as he tried to disengage.

... And the Avs scored on the resultant PP.

That one will rankle with me for some time.

Oh, well; on to Monday night...

Imagine how "rankled" you would be if this resulted in your player being out of the game for 6 weeks.....you kids whine about a 2 minute penalty but you still have all of your skill players in the game. man up sister, and stop acting like the worst of the worst has happened to your team, the fact is they have dished out far more chicken shit than they will ever receive in return.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please provide a link that would support this assertion

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leadingedge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick.

seems pretty clear already unless you are having a little trouble with reading comprehension.

So by that logic wouldn't a player with his skate above but not in contact with the blue line be offside?

I mean, I'm not sure I should be discussing the finer points of reading comprehension with a troll who spelled zero of the three words in his username correctly and couldn't be bothered to capitalize the first letter of his sentence.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does anyone believe there WON'T be a game 7? Personally, I feel this series will be won and lost in Denver, Co

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by that logic wouldn't a player with his skate above but not in contact with the blue line be offside?

I mean, I'm not sure I should be discussing the finer points of reading comprehension with a troll who spelled zero of the three words in his username correctly and couldn't be bothered to capitalize the first letter of his sentence.

I'm sure he'll come back with the troll favorite "your an idiot."