• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Football Imperialism Map

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEAH!

They have my old home county as belonging to the Charlotte 49ers...well, i know for a fact that my hometown is just as close to Columbia as it is to Charlotte, and for that matter, most of the residents of Charlotte are Gamecock fans. Nobody gives two scoops of rat shit about UNCC.

For that matter, most of Charlotte doesn't care for UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, or East Carolina when it comes to football...especially all the banking industry transplants.
But it has nothing to do with where the fans are located. It has nothing to do with the fans at all.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it has nothing to do with where the fans are located. It has nothing to do with the fans at all.

And that just TEARS ME UP inside

They've forgotten it's supposed to be about the fans :pout:

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because they should do a census to find out what teams each households root for in a totally meaningless thing.
It doesn’t take much work to know that college football fans in Milwaukee generally root for Wisconsin and not Northwestern.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I understand it. I just disagree with it. I know what they’re doing, and they’re doing it wrong.
How are they doing it wrong?
Are you a professional cartographer? Do you define the country lines? If you actually do understand it, that means you think that either the maps, school locations, or county lines are drawn incorrectly.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they doing it wrong?
Are you a professional cartographer? Do you define the country lines? If you actually do understand it, that means you think that either the maps, school locations, or county lines are drawn incorrectly.
No, it just means they’ve used a bogus methodology that assigns counties to the wrong schools.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it just means they’ve used a bogus methodology that assigns counties to the wrong schools.
ok cool. Now we are getting somewhere.

They aren't doing it "wrong". You just don't like the well defined methodology that removes 100% of the bias.

A subjective method is more your style.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t take much work to know that college football fans in Milwaukee generally root for Wisconsin and not Northwestern.
And Wisconsin has counties in Michigan.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok cool. Now we are getting somewhere.

They aren't doing it "wrong". You just don't like the well defined methodology that removes 100% of the bias.

A subjective method is more your style.
So a little less about analysis (statistical or otherwise):

It doesn’t just need to be “objective”, it needs to reflect reality.

I could make a prediction about the next election and say that my analysis assumes that all people with blue eyes will vote Republican. It’s objective - I’m not cherry-picking voters - but it’s BS, because that’s not what determines how people vote.

People aren’t fans of a certain team because the middle point of their county is closest by straight line distance to that team’s campus. It’s “objective”, but it has no basis in reality. So the resulting map doesn’t really show anything meaningful.

They would be better off basing it on jersey sales, which team’s games the local TV affiliate shows, or just plain common sense. If they got the starting map right, then it’s an interesting idea, but they don’t.

It’s the worst kind of analysis, one that is lazy and oversimplified, and illustrates the most famous maxim in statistical analysis - GIGO (“garbage in, garbage out”).

They should start with the question - “which is the most popular college football team in each county?”. It would take some work to figure out, perhaps some polling, etc. But then you have something interesting and meaningful.

Last edited:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could make a prediction about the next election and say that my analysis assumes that all people with blue eyes will vote Republican. It’s objective - I’m not cherry-picking voters - but it’s BS, because that’s not what determines how people vote.

People aren’t fans of a certain team because the middle point of their county is closest by straight line distance to that team’s campus. It’s “objective”, but it has no basis in reality. So the resulting map doesn’t really show anything meaningful.

They would be better off basing it on jersey sales, which team’s games the local TV affiliate shows, or just plain common sense. If they got the starting map right, then it’s an interesting idea, but they don’t.

It’s the worst kind of analysis, one that is lazy and oversimplified, and illustrates the most famous maxim in statistical analysis - GIGO (“garbage in, garbage out”).
So then do you lt own that analyzes the location of major schools and what states they are in and what school they are fans have and I’m sure everyone will use it, but we all know your’s will just be all Wisconsin.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not what the map represents, I think you need to get over that. I get you, you feel Wisconsin is slighted, lighten up

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what the map represents, I think you need to get over that. I get you, you feel Wisconsin is slighted, lighten up
I know it’s not. All it shows is which school is geographically closest. But that doesn’t mean anything.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should start with the question - “which is the most popular college football team in each county?”. It would take some work to figure out, perhaps some polling, etc. But then you have something interesting and meaningful.

The reality is fans don't convert after a loss, so...I mean..it's just for fun and you're upset because you don't think the badgers get properly represented

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it’s not. All it shows is which school is geographically closest. But that doesn’t mean anything.

none of this means anything. It's meaningless.

If you don't think it's fun or neat, just don't pay attention.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then do you lt own that analyzes the location of major schools and what states they are in and what school they are fans have and I’m sure everyone will use it, but we all know your’s will just be all Wisconsin.
Well no, but in my version the bigger programs that are most popular would start with a lot more territory. The nothing programs would start with very little.

The result is that you’d gain lots of territory by beating a big team, and not much at all for beating a nothing team.

For instance, ND would have most of Michigan and UK wouldn’t have anything except maybe Kalamazoo.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NDSU fans are going to be pissed they're not represented