• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick's Future

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree from where you and I are sitting...But at the negotiating table, im sure the Jets in as non-insulting a way as possible, point to the fact that the Jets did miss the postseason last year...

And I agree, this is much more about how high the ceiling, and how long the future for Fitzpatrick...In a very best case scenario, the Jets know he is a placeholder for Quarterback X for 2 seasons, in which they hope to get to the playoffs, and see what happens...

At least with a guy like Bradford, the Eagles are hoping for the next decade, and the best is yet to come

Yep...if Fitz played well in a loss...the FO can point to another position as the reason...they give Fitz what he wants on a short term deal, and draft a kid to be groomed for the next year or two.

But when the main reason you loss was bad QB play, as a FA, you don't want to pay "his number"...you want him for "your" number. The longer it goes, I think the more it works in Fitz's favor.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trade him to Denver, they obviously want him and if the 49ers thought so highly of Kaep last year they benched him I doubt being in a Chip Kelly Offense is gonna do him any favors. Hell I bet now Denver would even throw in Ryan Clady since they have Okung just to dump his salary.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Jets trade for any young QBs that might be available. Bowles came from the Arians tree and has a very similar mindset when it comes to QBs. He will want an established veteran QB to run his offense.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets are playing chicken with Fitzpatrick

if they lose, they will absolutely make a strong push to get Kapernick....No matter what they say, there is no way they will turn that team over to Geno Smith

I'm not quite sure they think that way at the Jets Head Office. I'm sure they'd love to find an upgrade or re-sign Fitz at a decent price, but if they don't I think they are OK with using Geno Smith. If he hadn't got punched in the jaw in preseason last year he was going to be their starter so I think that says they are at least somewhat comfortable using him.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap's future is selling oranges on the side of an interstate telling people how he can throw balls over mountains

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not quite sure they think that way at the Jets Head Office. I'm sure they'd love to find an upgrade or re-sign Fitz at a decent price, but if they don't I think they are OK with using Geno Smith. If he hadn't got punched in the jaw in preseason last year he was going to be their starter so I think that says they are at least somewhat comfortable using him.

That would be a big mistake for a Win Now team.....With Forte, Marshall and even Decker getting up there, they really cant afford to deal with the growing pains of a guy like Geno

I personally think he's brutally bad, all the tools in the world, but we have seen over and over in the league, you just cant fix stupid

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the price is to aquire Zach?

They have rebuffed different offers for him, so I assume they would be looking for a #2 at least

But if youre a team that believes he is a franchise type QB, thats more than worth the cost

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For DEN to kick the tires and say too much, I think Fitz has managed his money well and he's saying fuck it...he has a number and not interested in playing for lower.

Jet are kind of up the creek w/o a paddle. I was a little surprised they didn't make an offer for RG3....cheaper than Kaep's contract.

I think Fitz would be a good fit for Denver, but the stakes have gone up for decent QBs. I imagine the Broncos thought they could get a good deal for X, Y or Z, but not at the price these QBs are asking. They got shafted by Brock's agent to get so much elsewhere for a practically unproven QB, although it does seem that something happened with Elway that distanced Brock from the team. They were grooming him and all of sudden he's gone.
Will be interesting to see how it pans out for Denver in the QB department.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fitz would be a good fit for Denver, but the stakes have gone up for decent QBs. I imagine the Broncos thought they could get a good deal for X, Y or Z, but not at the price these QBs are asking. They got shafted by Brock's agent to get so much elsewhere for a practically unproven QB, although it does seem that something happened with Elway that distanced Brock from the team. They were grooming him and all of sudden he's gone.

Wonder if Denver was concerned with his arm strength in what could be some ugly conditions in Denver

I remember before the Jets headed up to Buffalo in Week 17, Boomer Esiason was predicting doom for Fitzpatrick because his arms isnt suited for any type of windy conditions

It proved correct

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Denver was concerned with his arm strength in what could be some ugly conditions in Denver

I remember before the Jets headed up to Buffalo in Week 17, Boomer Esiason was predicting doom for Fitzpatrick because his arms isnt suited for any type of windy conditions

It proved correct

Good point. Fitz has had some good games, but he also is known to choke it away when things are on the line. He's a smart QB though, should get a decent contract somewhere.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz's main problem is that he's too old to be a viable option for any team for several years and his asking price is too high right now. No one wants to sign him to a multi-year deal because it'll cost too much and signing him to a 1 year deal over and over wont work because then teams are stuck paying him a high price every year instead of cutting him a few years later to save space.

Unless you front load the hell out of his contract a 3 year/$51million(that's 17mil a year which is right what he's looking for) contract is too rich for any team to take a chance on.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HOU definitely muddied the water....if he wasn't before, that move put O'Brien on notice.

If DEN made a mistake with OsW...waiting on PM to announce, etc...I think if they immediately turn the reins over, and start negotiations...maybe they get a different result....but HOU made him a target and paid a lot for potential....at that point you can't blame OsW a bit...life changer.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOU definitely muddied the water....if he wasn't before, that move put O'Brien on notice.

If DEN made a mistake with OsW...waiting on PM to announce, etc...I think if they immediately turn the reins over, and start negotiations...maybe they get a different result....but HOU made him a target and paid a lot for potential....at that point you can't blame OsW a bit...life changer.
Exactly! Denver could have made a pre-deal with him before things got hot. Can't blame Oz for jumping ship, he made a career move. Seems like a good QB with his head in the right place.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz's main problem is that he's too old to be a viable option for any team for several years and his asking price is too high right now. No one wants to sign him to a multi-year deal because it'll cost too much and signing him to a 1 year deal over and over wont work because then teams are stuck paying him a high price every year instead of cutting him a few years later to save space.

Unless you front load the hell out of his contract a 3 year/$51million(that's 17mil a year which is right what he's looking for) contract is too rich for any team to take a chance on.

3 yrs is the deal breaker I'm sure if he wants any part of it guaranteed.

If I'm the Jets...2 yr deal $40/$20mG...yr 1, pay him $18m base with incentives...if he bombs out in yr 2, the dead money hit is minimal....I'm not interested in investing much more.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Broncos lost Osweiler long before the season was even over. It has come out now that when he was benched week 17 he went to his agent and said he wanted out of Denver as he couldn't believe that they would bench him. So it didn't matter when the negotiations started he had already made up his mind he was gone. Heck when Houston offered their deal to him he didn't even come back to Denver and see if they would match. I'm guessing they wouldn't have anyway but just another showing of how much he wanted out of Denver.

I also think another part of it was that he didn't want to follow after Manning especially when the team wins a Super Bowl. I mean he could be a pretty good QB and he would still feel the pressure that he wasn't good enough considering we just saw some of the best QB play over a 3 year period of any QB in history.

As for the Kaepernick situation I'm glad the Broncos haven't panicked and offered a premium pick in a trade. If Cleveland signs RGIII and most likely uses their 1st pick on a QB then really right now that does just leave Denver. No reason to up your offer at this time because you are just bidding against yourself. See if they blink first and if not move on. Right now I am actually starting to lean towards them just developing a draft pick and having Sanchez and the rookie battle it out. Saves big time on Cap Space over the next few years and lets them continue to develop the defense and build up on the offensive side of the ball.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos lost Osweiler long before the season was even over. It has come out now that when he was benched week 17 he went to his agent and said he wanted out of Denver as he couldn't believe that they would bench him. So it didn't matter when the negotiations started he had already made up his mind he was gone. Heck when Houston offered their deal to him he didn't even come back to Denver and see if they would match. I'm guessing they wouldn't have anyway but just another showing of how much he wanted out of Denver.

I also think another part of it was that he didn't want to follow after Manning especially when the team wins a Super Bowl. I mean he could be a pretty good QB and he would still feel the pressure that he wasn't good enough considering we just saw some of the best QB play over a 3 year period of any QB in history.
That seems like right on the money, cdumler7. Brock's agent pulled the wool on Denver. Smart guy, he got a mega deal for his client.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like right on the money, cdumler7. Brock's agent pulled the wool on Denver. Smart guy, he got a mega deal for his client.

I'm guessing the Broncos knew that he was gone. His agent had told him to stop talking to teammates and the team in general 2 weeks before FA started. So I'm sure they had an idea that it was coming. I think it was more Houston that had the wool pulled over their eyes in the sense that I'm sure Osweiler's agent made it sound like the Broncos were set on keeping Osweiler to try and get the big deal that he did. If they had known that Osweiler had no intention of going back to the Broncos my guess is they are closer to $15 million a year instead of $18 million a year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for the Kaepernick situation I'm glad the Broncos haven't panicked and offered a premium pick in a trade. If Cleveland signs RGIII and most likely uses their 1st pick on a QB then really right now that does just leave Denver. No reason to up your offer at this time because you are just bidding against yourself. See if they blink first and if not move on. Right now I am actually starting to lean towards them just developing a draft pick and having Sanchez and the rookie battle it out. Saves big time on Cap Space over the next few years and lets them continue to develop the defense and build up on the offensive side of the ball.

He's come out and said the benching wasn't a factor, but I can believe it was...the bigger thing imo...no one expected an offer like HOU put on the table...absent of that, maybe DEN is still in the picture.

Now...not a bad thing...I really thought RG3 would be a good fit in DEN...he makes sense as a stop gap in CLE...if he plays well they can move the rookie or move him for pick. I still think SF is going to take Goff if he's there...even if you want to give Kaep another shot...the CH is too high to pay for a reclamation project.