• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Kaepernick had two horrendous fumbles where he got lucky that Gore and Miller recovered them.

That's true. He did have a couple of fumbles, and one came from holding the ball too long. Overall, I'd say he had a great game for his first real game (especially not having worked w/ the first team in practice).

If Alex had an identical game, I'd say it was a bad game. And if Kaep doesn't get significantly better than that, he's a bust in the NFL. But it's a good start.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. He did have a couple of fumbles, and one came from holding the ball too long. Overall, I'd say he had a great game for his first real game (especially not having worked w/ the first team in practice).

If Alex had an identical game, I'd say it was a bad game. And if Kaep doesn't get significantly better than that, he's a bust in the NFL. But it's a good start.

I'll go as far as to say he was adequate. He did enough to win but the defense's and special teams' collapses in the late 4th quarter did not allow for it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaepernick had two horrendous fumbles where he got lucky that Gore and Miller recovered them.

ahh, i forgot about the fumble. correct, didn't like the one where he scrambled to his left but didn't tuck the ball.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Since I was at the game and was too drunk to really remember how Kapernick played I rewatched the game today.

After the first TD drive it looked like the offense was about to get in gear. Alex was 7 for 8 and it looked like he picked up right where he left off after the Arizona game. Had he remained healthy and in the game we probably would have scored more points. He has been doing a good job of connecting with Crabtree in the redzone.

In his first few series Kapernick was overthrowing the ball which lead to the ball being high. Most of those drives could have produced points had Kapernick been on target. I thought that he settled down in the second half and did enough to lead the team to a victory. He also did a great job using his legs to escape the pocket and keep plays alive. As (if) he gets more playing time I think he will start to slide and move in the pocket looking to pass instead of tucking in and running. The play calling seemed to be aggressive on the 49ers side of the field. But once we were within field goal range it looked like we were happy to settle for a field goal try. They seemed to call low risk plays that wold keep them in field goal range.

Given a chance to get first team reps and being prepared to start should improve his production as well. But we must remember that the Rams didn't game plan for Kapernick either. The Rams defense isn't as good as the Bears and if the Bears get a chance to game plan for Kapernick, they will be licking thier chops with how loose he carries the ball. They will also look to take advantage of his inexperience and try to confuse him with different looks and coverages. Kapernick doesn't drop back 3 steps and fire the ball to the open receiver on a regular basis. Instead he slides to his right and left and tries to push the ball down the field. Something we all wish Alex would try to do more often. But holding on to the ball longer does have a higher risk of a sack or fumble.

We are 6-2-1. Instead of rushing Alex back and risking the season, I hope Kapernick gets the start this week and then we'll all get a chance to see what he can do. When he steps back and fires a laser to the open receiver it looks great. The talent is there, he is just raw. You saw flashes of brilliance with the TD run and the perfect throws to Manningham and VD in the face of pressure.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Since I was at the game and was too drunk to really remember how Kapernick played I rewatched the game today.

After the first TD drive it looked like the offense was about to get in gear. Alex was 7 for 8 and it looked like he picked up right where he left off after the Arizona game. Had he remained healthy and in the game we probably would have scored more points. He has been doing a good job of connecting with Crabtree in the redzone.

In his first few series Kapernick was overthrowing the ball which lead to the ball being high. Most of those drives could have produced points had Kapernick been on target. I thought that he settled down in the second half and did enough to lead the team to a victory. He also did a great job using his legs to escape the pocket and keep plays alive. As (if) he gets more playing time I think he will start to slide and move in the pocket looking to pass instead of tucking in and running. The play calling seemed to be aggressive on the 49ers side of the field. But once we were within field goal range it looked like we were happy to settle for a field goal try. They seemed to call low risk plays that wold keep them in field goal range.

Given a chance to get first team reps and being prepared to start should improve his production as well. But we must remember that the Rams didn't game plan for Kapernick either. The Rams defense isn't as good as the Bears and if the Bears get a chance to game plan for Kapernick, they will be licking thier chops with how loose he carries the ball. They will also look to take advantage of his inexperience and try to confuse him with different looks and coverages. Kapernick doesn't drop back 3 steps and fire the ball to the open receiver on a regular basis. Instead he slides to his right and left and tries to push the ball down the field. Something we all wish Alex would try to do more often. But holding on to the ball longer does have a higher risk of a sack or fumble.

We are 6-2-1. Instead of rushing Alex back and risking the season, I hope Kapernick gets the start this week and then we'll all get a chance to see what he can do. When he steps back and fires a laser to the open receiver it looks great. The talent is there, he is just raw. You saw flashes of brilliance with the TD run and the perfect throws to Manningham and VD in the face of pressure.

Great analysis. Kap will have to be very careful with the Bears D knocking the ball out of his hands. And once he gets out into the open field, there will be Charles Tillman waiting for him.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have smith right now still. His ball protection to me seems better.

But I was impressed with kap. Made some plays with his feet and had some solid throws. He still needs to work on his ball security when holding it tho. But whoever start this Monday I think we can still win.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have smith right now still. His ball protection to me seems better.

But I was impressed with kap. Made some plays with his feet and had some solid throws. He still needs to work on his ball security when holding it tho. But whoever start this Monday I think we can still win.

That's the thing. I would rather have a healthy Smith because of ball security and his overall play.

But I wish we could loan Kapernick out to the CFL or something so he could develop.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready to see what Kap can do - but not against one of the best defenses in the league and the #1 intercepting secondary in the NFL.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
[/B]

How 'bout the throws he didn't make like the one where Williams was wide open running free in the end zone? Sometimes the ones you don't make are the real killers.

What about the throws Smith doesn't make? There's a difference between the throws Alex doesn't make and the one's Kaep doesn't make of course. When Kaep doesn't make a throw it falls incomplete somewhere down the field, or he turns it into an 8 or so yard gain with his feet (based on his average Sunday).

When Smith doesn't make a throw, he literally doesn't make it. He backs us up 6-9 yards taking a sack.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm ready to see what Kap can do - but not against one of the best defenses in the league and the #1 intercepting secondary in the NFL.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'm excited to see what Kaepernick can do, but I'd prefer not to throw him in this week if we can avoid it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What about the throws Smith doesn't make? There's a difference between the throws Alex doesn't make and the one's Kaep doesn't make of course. When Kaep doesn't make a throw it falls incomplete somewhere down the field, or he turns it into an 8 or so yard gain with his feet (based on his average Sunday).

When Smith doesn't make a throw, he literally doesn't make it. He backs us up 6-9 yards taking a sack.

I was thinking the same thing. Smith's vision is still mediocre at best. He regularly fails to see open receivers. And the sacks are just killing me these days. It seems like over half the sacks he takes should be avoidable for most NFL QBs, and 3/4 would be avoided by the best. You just never seem to see Alex making a great throw as he's getting hit, the way guys like Eli, Brees, Peyton, and Rodgers do. I think that, as much as anything, it holding this team back. Especially with Crabtree showing some YAC ability, Smith's struggles playing under pressure are troubling. That said, I don't know that Kaepernick is the guy to tap into Crabtree's YAC right now.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was thinking the same thing. Smith's vision is still mediocre at best. He regularly fails to see open receivers. And the sacks are just killing me these days. It seems like over half the sacks he takes should be avoidable for most NFL QBs, and 3/4 would be avoided by the best. You just never seem to see Alex making a great throw as he's getting hit, the way guys like Eli, Brees, Peyton, and Rodgers do. I think that, as much as anything, it holding this team back. Especially with Crabtree showing some YAC ability, Smith's struggles playing under pressure are troubling. That said, I don't know that Kaepernick is the guy to tap into Crabtree's YAC right now.

Just read that 33.8% of plays in which Smith is pressured by 1+ defender, he takes a sack, which is the highest percentage in the NFL. However, he's only been pressured on 27.8% of his dropbacks, which is one of the best percentages among those who actually have a high sack percentage (the first number I gave) and it's 9th best among any QB. Ties into what you were talking about just a little bit.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I think if we were trying to maximize Crabtree, I'd probably go with Alex. If we were to maximize Moss/Manningham, though, Kaep is our guy.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's probably been mentioned but Kyle Williams dropped a pass that would have put the 49ers inside the goaline.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably been mentioned but Kyle Williams dropped a pass that would have put the 49ers inside the goaline.

the one at the end of the game where he wasn't paying attention? If he catches that one there's a good chance he doesn't get out and time expires.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree. I think if we were trying to maximize Crabtree, I'd probably go with Alex. If we were to maximize Moss/Manningham, though, Kaep is our guy.

That's probably true. Smith still is well below average throwing to the sideline.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of excited and kind of concerned at the same time....

If Kap starts/plays, I hope he makes the best of it and his coaches put him in a place to succeed.

He'll still should have some underneath routes to dump off and not always hit the HR ball or the triple. Give it to Moss, MM and Crabtree and let them get that YAC in which they have been pretty good at doing.

I hope VD has a breakout game....