• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see CK start this game because it's a perfect chance to see where he's actually at.

Going up against one of the best defenses in the league on a national stage is a great way to see if he's ready this season or not.

1st career start against a defense that is having an exceptional year? that's just asking for trouble.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about next year, I'm talking about THIS year. If you don't think CK7 is ready to start against the Bears, then you better stop talking about him starting at all this year.

Well, here's my bottom line; this season if both QBs are healthy I think it's in the best interest of the team that Smith start because putting a new qb in at midseason in the middle of a playoff chase is silly. I don't think that makes me inconsistent at all. Am I intrigued to see what CK7 would do given a whole week to prepare and with the #1 offense to practice with? Sure, but that doesn't mean I want the 49ers to be put in that situation.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually in the after game interview Kapernick stated that that play was designed to get the ball to Williams. Not sure what happened he just wasn't expecting it so quick or something. But either way though I think it was a poor play call for that moment

Maybe the first read was Williams but Williams should have been closer to the sideline, farther from the sideline (to score), or something. Or maybe he was the first read, but Kaep was supposed to see that he was covered (not for the catch but the ensuing run) and then go to the second read? Time was short of course, and expecting a second or third read is expecting a pretty quick decision for a inexperienced QB, but perhaps Williams was the designed target but still the wrong throw or wrong execution by Williams (other than not catching it).

He obviously didn't know the ball was going to be there so quickly so maybe it was thrown early for a needed score play (timing was good just for a catch). I don't know where else or when else Kaep could throw it, just throwing it out there for someone who can rewatch the play.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually in the after game interview Kapernick stated that that play was designed to get the ball to Williams. Not sure what happened he just wasn't expecting it so quick or something. But either way though I think it was a poor play call for that moment

If that's the case then that is a bad call by the coaches. The fact that Williams wasn't ready might have saved the game....for the moment. I will have to watch the play again, but if the play was going to Williams, and he wasn't expecting it at that point, where was he going? A play designed to get to maybe the 2 yard line, and if he doesn't get out of bounds then game over? Terrible. And if he breaks a tackle and gets in that is great, but not a gamble I would ever take.

Why sign Moss to the team if you aren't going to get him the ball in that situation? I know they are keying on him, but sometimes you have to let a guy make a play in the endzone. Not what they did, where if the guy needs to make a play just to get out of bounds at the 2.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here's my bottom line; this season if both QBs are healthy I think it's in the best interest of the team that Smith start because putting a new qb in at midseason in the middle of a playoff chase is silly. I don't think that makes me inconsistent at all. Am I intrigued to see what CK7 would do given a whole week to prepare and with the #1 offense to practice with? Sure, but that doesn't mean I want the 49ers to be put in that situation.

I wasn't talking about you.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Williams play was a designed setup play. Considering everything there is to consider when dissecting a play, we had zero fade option because of the defense and absolutely nothing inside of 18' from the right sideline.

If Kyle catches the pass and Moss gets a hat on Fletcher, Kyle is oob at the 5 or 4 yard line with 6 or 7 seconds left; plenty of time to run one more play, only now the entire field and our short yardage/2pt conversion playbook on the table.

So, I'm guessing that is what GRo & Jimmy were trying to accomplish - to setup that advantage.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I couldn't find the right thread for this, so I guess I'll bump this old one.

I just wanted to say this: All of you who said it was a mistake to make Kaepernick the starter were wrong. It's official now. This isn't a matter of opinion any more.

Colon Cowherd: Good for you (although he was just going by the guy's first name, not his performance).
Grant Napear: You know nothing about football.
Mike Golic: You need glasses. You should be embarrassed.
Jim Harbaugh: You're the best thing that has happened to the 49ers since the 80's. Hope you keep it up.

Everyone who here who said Kaep should become the starter: way t' go. You (we) were right.

Just wanted to say that once and for all in case there was a shred of Alex-as-the-starter support left.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Erin Fraudgers apparently disagrees with you on NFL Network.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
LOL, Erin Fraudgers apparently disagrees with you on NFL Network.

Oh; if a chick says so, then I take it all back. :rolleyes:
womenplace.gif

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to say that once and for all in case there was a shred of Alex-as-the-starter support left.

Not me, but I dislike the tearing down one QB to prop up the other. You don't do this nor need to do this, just echoing that Kaep does enough in his own right to deserve the starting job. Alex is not irrelevant to the discussion of whether Kaep should start, to me. I guess it wasn't whether Kaep was better than Smith, it was whether he was good enough to start (and that includes a willingness and ability to quickly learn from his mistakes) - and I think we all know he is. I guess reading from some comments in articles and some excited posts in some message boards I frequent, it gets tiring how everything Kaep does someone acts like Smith can't. Some things, sure, but some get overboard. Want to know how I feel? Think about how when some people always had an excuse for when Smith failed. Some were contributory, but some were just Alex-fandom.

Kaep is the guy and he earned it. Doesn't matter how he got the opportunity, because it's not like he wasn't busting his ass in practice waiting for his turn, showing the coaches what he got. He's not talented enough to get by without trying (no one is, but some can fake it for awhile, which maybe he could for awhile, but is moot because he didn't) - he gave great effort, is a great teammate, handles the media and personal life well, smart, and a clean citizen - everything I could ask for in a player. And he can play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not me, but I dislike the tearing down one QB to prop up the other. You don't do this nor need to do this, just echoing that Kaep does enough in his own right to deserve the starting job. Alex is not irrelevant to the discussion of whether Kaep should start, to me. I guess it wasn't whether Kaep was better than Smith, it was whether he was good enough to start (and that includes a willingness and ability to quickly learn from his mistakes) - and I think we all know he is. I guess reading from some comments in articles and some excited posts in some message boards I frequent, it gets tiring how everything Kaep does someone acts like Smith can't. Some things, sure, but some get overboard. Want to know how I feel? Think about how when some people always had an excuse for when Smith failed. Some were contributory, but some were just Alex-fandom.

Kaep is the guy and he earned it. Doesn't matter how he got the opportunity, because it's not like he wasn't busting his ass in practice waiting for his turn, showing the coaches what he got. He's not talented enough to get by without trying (no one is, but some can fake it for awhile, which maybe he could for awhile, but is moot because he didn't) - he gave great effort, is a great teammate, handles the media and personal life well, smart, and a clean citizen - everything I could ask for in a player. And he can play.

I'm not sure that he's tearing down Smith. Smith was playing pretty well this year. But Kap opens so many more doors for this offense. He still makes some mistakes, but to date he has more than compensated for those mistakes.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was one of those who thought in the absence of seeing anything in the regular season it would be a mistake to start Kaep in the middle of the season. I was obviously wrong, I'm happy to admit it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that he's tearing down Smith. Smith was playing pretty well this year. But Kap opens so many more doors for this offense. He still makes some mistakes, but to date he has more than compensated for those mistakes.

Sorry, I guess in my novel, you didn't see the part I said that he doesn't do this in the first line. I was just expressing my agreement that there was no question over the starter, just adding that I wasn't going to pile on like some do, not saying him. I only quoted him due to the talk about if there were still lingering start-Alex support out there.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com | Footballogy

NFL.com says that the following five QBs are this year's best QBs at "buying time" - time between when a QB is initially pressured and when they throw.

1. Russell Wilson - 1.64
2. Colin Kaepernick - 1.58
3. Robert Griffin III - 1.55
4. Aaron Rodgers - 1.54
5. Alex Smith - 1.49

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just FYI, I'm not extrapolating this data to say anything else about skill or oline or anything, just passing along the information. This stat isn't the best indicator of things and is a bit vague in what it says in regard to what we could take from it.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nod:

I wish Alex the best, and hope he has success wherever he lands, unless he is playing SF, because he worked his tail off in the name of this organization. I'd love to have him stay on the team as a backup, but that is probably not happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me, but I dislike the tearing down one QB to prop up the other. You don't do this nor need to do this, just echoing that Kaep does enough in his own right to deserve the starting job. Alex is not irrelevant to the discussion of whether Kaep should start, to me...

Oops, not that it matters, but that's supposed to say "Alex is now irrelevant to the discussion of whether Kaep should start, to me."