• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious -

When did the word hack gain the meaning of a being a useful tip or time/money saving idea?

What ever hack came up with this new meaning of the word hack should have all their online accounts hacked into and their identity stolen.

The term started in prisons where people in for life used hack saws to escape, thus the term 'life hack'. Back then if you escaped from prison, as long as you didn't kill anybody getting out, as soon as you were off prison property you were declared free. That's why you see a lot of old pictures where guards and ex prisoners in striped suits wave across the street at each other.

Then years later when people wanted to hack into someone's computer to see naked pictures (usually made up of letters and keyboard symbols) or something it often required the use of a hacksaw.

Life hack: Have a meeting or a hot date and not so fresh? Use Purell on your arm pits and other offending areas! It will kill the bacteria eliminating the odor!

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the world of computers, a "hack" was also referred to as a "Kludge" which essentially meant a quickly assembled and inelegant solution.

It also came to represent using a tool designed for one purpose to solve a problem it was not designed for. Or spending all your time trying to take the tool designed for something and learning every other possible use for it.

So when you go and use a store hanger with clips to seal chip bags and hang them in your pantry it fits the spirit of a "hack".

But seeing the word used so much annoys me.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the world of computers, a "hack" was also referred to as a "Kludge" which essentially meant a quickly assembled and inelegant solution.

Yes sir - I've reviewed/written my fair share of kludgey code in my day. When your boss comes to you and asks you to write a database hammer to fix records that another program fouled up, elegance goes out the window (haha).

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In ye olden days carriage (aka Hackney carriages) drivers were very well respected and known for getting things done. Need a body removed? Call a carriage driver. Need to learn the Quadrille before the big dance? Call a carriage driver. Since the drivers eventually became known as hacks, the term came to mean a shortcut for getting somethin' done quickly.

Life hack: Turn on your car seat warmer to keep carry out pizza warm on the way home!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During a poker game wrestling hero and closet computer scientist Hacksaw Jim Duggan once broke a leg on a hotel room table. Thinking quickly, he propped it up with his 2 x 4. The Genius (formerly Leaping) Lanny Poffo called Hacksaw's idea to save the pocker game a "hack" and the name stuck. Duggan himself began using to the term to describe some of his computer tips and tricks he taught the other wrestlers.

Life hack: Turn your toaster sideways to make grilled cheese!

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Life hack: Turn your toaster sideways to make grilled cheese!

A girl I knew actually tried this in high school .

To this day, people still address her as "Cheesey".

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are at work here's a fun way to liven up your morning. During a quiet moment, look off in the distance and yell "5-O, 5-O" then run away.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are at work here's a fun way to liven up your morning. During a quiet moment, look off in the distance and yell "5-O, 5-O" then run away.

in related news ... my wife bought 2 groupons to an auto detailing place in April with a July 6 expiry. you had to call to book an appointment. Called every day for a week in mid June and it would go straight to voicemail. Dude never returned my calls so I was thinking ok some sort of scam. I decided to go to the place on a lunch and see what was going on. I pull up and guys are feverishly working away, cleaning cars. I get out and start walking up the driveway. They all turn their heads in unison like prairie dogs, see me and then scatter lol

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just walked by a TV showing CNN. It was muted but the headline was "The Fight To End Human Trafficking". So now Obama and his big government buddies want to take away our right to drive? Fuck that!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just walked by a TV showing CNN. It was muted but the headline was "The Fight To End Human Trafficking". So now Obama and his big government buddies want to take away our right to drive? Fuck that!
No, just your right to be stuck in traffic.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did they have an expert from a "Major University" there to speak about how legalizing traffic would benefit everyone?

I don't listen until they present both sides of the story.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, just your right to be stuck in traffic.

Well if they are trying to take that away from me then that's exactly what I'll do! I am going up the west side of 695 to get home tonight! (My 40 minute drive would probably take 90 or more)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the US we have huge amounts of people in jail for nonviolent relatively minor offenses and yet Smash Mouth released "I'm A Believer" and have never served even one day of prison time for that.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
New York Magazine just kicked the shit out of the Cos

CK4kA-0UwAAqiDo.jpg

35 Bill Cosby Accusers Tell Their Stories -- The Cut

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its been a good day. After a constant 8 years stuck in my head, I finally got the Kibbles and Bits jingle out of my head. It was awful. Remember the one that went:

kibbles and bits
kibbles and bits
I'm going to get me some
kibbles and bits

kibbles and bits
kibbles and bits
I'm going to get me some
kibbles and bits

Oh no....fuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.