• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing Atlanta has an excellent public transit network.
LOL funny you mention that nonexistent thing...

Perfect example: The Local: Luxury Apartments in Sugar Hill, GA this is just one example of an apartment building in Sugar Hill GA (a new 15 minute city 'downtown' area) which is 40 miles outside of Atlanta with no public transportation.

Just imagine living in the suburbs in a one-bedroom apartment, needing a vehicle having to spend all your money on rent because that small apartment has no room for a roommate.

I know this example and many more as my oldest is moving to Atlanta since they are in the movie industry and have the most opportunities there right now, hopefully when the strikes are all over.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL funny you mention that nonexistent thing...

Perfect example: The Local: Luxury Apartments in Sugar Hill, GA this is just one example of an apartment building in Sugar Hill GA (a new 15 minute city 'downtown' area) which is 40 miles outside of Atlanta with no public transportation.

Just imagine living in the suburbs in a one-bedroom apartment, needing a vehicle having to spend all your money on rent because that small apartment has no room for a roommate.

I know this example and many more as my oldest is moving to Atlanta since they are in the movie industry and have the most opportunities there right now, hopefully when the strikes are all over.
That’s the thing with what they’re doing here and in TO - I’m still not sold that we need to turn every suburban centre into a mini-downtown filled with high rises but at least they’re doing it in places with really good transit connections.

Otherwise you’re just planning to add more highway lanes, which again isn’t something I’m against (although, again, that stance gets you called a climate terrorist these days) but it should never be the only option.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the thing with what they’re doing here and in TO - I’m still not sold that we need to turn every suburban centre into a mini-downtown filled with high rises but at least they’re doing it in places with really good transit connections.

Otherwise you’re just planning to add more highway lanes, which again isn’t something I’m against (although, again, that stance gets you called a climate terrorist these days) but it should never be the only option.
The issue with making highways wider isn't solving a traffic problem. It just opens the flood gates to more problems.
And I agree there needs to be more than one solution, unfortunately cities/suburbs like Atlanta take the "make bigger highways" approach. They have had opportunities to extend MARTA but they get voted down with the number one excuse that it will bring crime. :L Totally shortsighted, and inherently racist viewpoint towards mass transit.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rode MARTA for 18 months...

/The transit system, not a woman :D
I am not going to mention it, but in your time in Atlanta, did anyone ever tell you the very racist acronym of what MARTA stands for?

NOTE: For reference this is the actual acronym: Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to mention it, but in your time in Atlanta, did anyone ever tell you the very racist acronym of what MARTA stands for?

lol - I heard a couple of different versions. All I know is I don't know why anybody would would to start trouble on a MARTA train, the size of some of those security guards coupled with them being armed should be all the deterrent that is needed.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - I heard a couple of different versions. All I know is I don't know why anybody would would to start trouble on a MARTA train, the size of some of those security guards coupled with them being armed should be all the deterrent that is needed.
Not only are the guards large, seeing some of the rats at the Five Points station they can compete with NYC.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little trivia regarding MARTA - In the movie 'Escape from New York', a scene in John Carpenter's director's cut where Snake Plissken robbed a federal depository and hopped on a train was filmed in Atlanta inside the newly completed downtown subway.

/The rest of the movie (or a large portion of it) was filmed in St. Louis.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Obviously issuing a GAG order does nothing as he continues to do the stuff he does.
Would be nice if they enforce one once.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
^ Obviously issuing a GAG order does nothing as he continues to do the stuff he does.
Would be nice if they enforce one once.
Either with a contemp charge (and corresponding fines/jail time)
or an actual ball gag.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look like the end is near. Nice chatting everyone.

We have an in person meeting at work tomorrow. Only our third one since Covid hit. My boss put out a message on our group slack channel about the EBS occurring while we will be in the office so that people aren’t alarmed etc.

A girl I work with, who is a big Trump supporter and conspiracy theorist brought up the whole zombie thing

I responded in the group chat that if she turns into a zombie, I want the first shot at taking her out.

Got a few laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.