• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These institutions deserve to fail. Spend education dollars on areas of need at institutions that serve Canadian students and try to keep them here.

These colleges were supposed to provide education for local populations, not expand to accommodate international students.

The international student program is massive in public high schools as well. The amount of $$ brought in every year is incredible when you think Delta schools is paying $1100 a student to homestay homes and they bring in hundreds of kids a year. A summer student I knew said his dad paid $8K for him for 5 weeks in Delta and they paid us $850 for that 5 weeks. I know the program fees are split between the receiving school and the agency that sets up in the home country but I think the bulk of it goes to the receiving school.

if he was accurate on that $8K (which I think may be a stretch) I cant imagine the revenue they bring in

I heard a report on this on news radio a couple weeks ago where local colleges (langara, kwantlen etc..) are bringing in millions a year in tuition.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The international student program is massive in public high schools as well. The amount of $$ brought in every year is incredible when you think Delta schools is paying $1100 a student to homestay homes and they bring in hundreds of kids a year. A summer student I knew said his dad paid $8K for him for 5 weeks in Delta and they paid us $850 for that 5 weeks. I know the program fees are split between the receiving school and the agency that sets up in the home country but I think the bulk of it goes to the receiving school.

if he was accurate on that $8K (which I think may be a stretch) I cant imagine the revenue they bring in

I heard a report on this on news radio a couple weeks ago where local colleges (langara, kwantlen etc..) are bringing in millions a year in tuition.
Did not know this was a HS thing now too. And they're telling us we have teacher shortages :noidea:

And all of this is without even scraping the surface of the big schools like UBC & U of T whose leaders have been in the media the past few months basically begging the feds not to mess with int'l students because of how much money they depend on them for.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I'm rushing to defend Trump, the guy is a massive fraudster, but these financial institutions essentially taking him at his word when it comes to financial evaluations are somewhat complicit in my opinion. The bottom line is that Trump did way overvalue his properties to get these loans and then really undervalues them for tax purposes, he knew what he was doing.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this really about interest rates? Because only the dumbest people in finance thought interest rates would spike up and then go all the way back down in the span of 18 months.

200w.gif

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two daughters Matty, if the climate change doesn't get them, the lack of affordability will.

on a serious note, I worry about this for my nephews and nieces.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not know this was a HS thing now too. And they're telling us we have teacher shortages :noidea:

And all of this is without even scraping the surface of the big schools like UBC & U of T whose leaders have been in the media the past few months basically begging the feds not to mess with int'l students because of how much money they depend on them for.
I have seen students as young as 8 years old come over for this program as well. blows my mind that parents send the kids that young away from home to a strangers home in another country

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on a serious note, I worry about this for my nephews and nieces.
Climate will change. Humans will adapt. Things will be different mostly for the worse and it will suck but we aren't going to see a mass extinction event. We're right to be concerned about it but the doomsdayism is insane.

Affordability, well, yeah good luck with that. The "15 minute cities" fear sounds dumb but we are living in a time when building more suburban housing is seen as evil and if you want to own a car you are literally committing murder. I don't know what Canada looks like 20 years from now if we stick with that, keep letting in a million people a year and build nothing but condos.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edmonton likes this...

It can take a lot of work to convert an office building into housing. Oftentimes it's just cheaper to raze the entire building and rebuild as residential, although in cities like Edmonton where there's still a shit ton of empty land it doesn't make much sense either way but they seem to be doing it anyway.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Climate will change. Humans will adapt. Things will be different mostly for the worse and it will suck but we aren't going to see a mass extinction event. We're right to be concerned about it but the doomsdayism is insane.
First of all, I probably agree with you - at least for a few generations.
However climate change does not just affect humans. A few degrees of change, changing weather patterns, and changes in sea level could wreck havoc on some animal species. And that could affect us in ways we do not even realize yet. So could population consolidation.

And while its 100% evident that doomsdayism does not work or get much done, I am not sure a more balanced calm effort would do any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.