• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a military target. "hmmm, why don't i voluntary use an app that tracks my every movement?"

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Russian commander killed while jogging may have been tracked on Strava app​

There are also a number of other hobby apps where you "check in" to show you are partaking of a particular hobby like craft beers, or geocaching or other things.

Those are also very valuable in finding people.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a military target. "hmmm, why don't i voluntary use an app that tracks my every movement?"

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Russian commander killed while jogging may have been tracked on Strava app​

that is really going to fuck up his lap time

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
There are also a number of other hobby apps where you "check in" to show you are partaking of a particular hobby like craft beers, or geocaching or other things.

first one i remember was FourSquare, where you check in at restaurants and stuff.
my first thought then (and continues to be) - why would I let people know that i wasn't home?
same with people who post vacation shows on facebook/insta while they are still away.
maybe I'm paranoid, but i'm not wrong.

i recall a guitar forum i was a part of, and a bunch of people who posted their collections also posted enough personal information that anyone paying attention knew where they lived, what they had, and when they were away. Those that were hit lived in New Jersey, so it was just someone creating profiles of nearby targets.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

first one i remember was FourSquare, where you check in at restaurants and stuff.
my first thought then (and continues to be) - why would I let people know that i wasn't home?
same with people who post vacation shows on facebook/insta while they are still away.

i recall a guitar forum i was a part of, and a bunch of people who posted their collections also posted enough personal information that anyone paying attention knew where they lived, what they had, and when they were away. Those that were hit lived in New Jersey, so it was just someone creating profiles of nearby targets.
AllTrails is a good one too ... "I just completed the Burns Bog trail Hike!"

and there your body will rest for eternity!

/i didnt do it

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AllTrails is a good one too ... "I just completed the Burns Bog trail Hike!"

and there your body will rest for eternity!

/i didnt do it
wait... I run Burns Bo.......... KPOW

<jstew standing over mattolas dead body and spits>

"thats for the pinapple pizza comments"

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not paranoia. Creeps use this stuff all the time, so better safe than sorry.

Granted, my job puts me in contact with this stuff a hell of a lot more than anyone else, but it is crazy how easy it is to find some people.

And it's crazy how easy it is to, you know, NOT share

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait... I run Burns Bo.......... KPOW
have they fixed the sinking boardwalk yet ... I ran there last year when my son was doing a camp at Planet Ice ... thats a broken ankle (or blown achilles!) waiting to happen

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have they fixed the sinking boardwalk yet ... I ran there last year when my son was doing a camp at Planet Ice ... thats a broken ankle (or blown achilles!) waiting to happen
We were walking my dog last night on the street behind us. A couple were doing something on the sidewalk so my wife walked into the grass to give them space......where she stepped in a hole and almost went down. They asked if she was OK (I kept walking) and she said there was a hole there. Both of them agreed, said it was there for the 22 years they lived there, and said both had tripped in it many times.

WTF? Yeah, I guess its just one of those things no one can do anything about.....

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most of it. its really solid now. the entrance closest to nordell is brand new for about 90% of it until you hit the shorter inner connection point (which is half gone now) see my pisspoor map of a old run

bog.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just realized how much I ran in a circle on this run to get to 10K lol must have been a hot day to stay in the trees lol

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Sorry I was gone for 2.5 hours, hon. But I'm trying to take this half marathon seriously."
"You have sausage in your beard."
AGAIN?

I did a half marathon from UBC to stanley park just before Covid. I think it was almost 25C (77F) and the sun was hitting hard. I saw about 6 people being treated for heat stroke on that run and when I came through the kits area there were some dudes that set up a tiki hut giving out free drinks for those that wanted to tap out... I hesitated only slightly to get a drink but kept going

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can we look at the positives, though? It's added millions to the pool of slave, errrr I mean prison, labor pool. And that money corporations save is gonna trickle down any minute now. YOU JUST WATCH

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
It's not paranoia. Creeps use this stuff all the time, so better safe than sorry.

Granted, my job puts me in contact with this stuff a hell of a lot more than anyone else, but it is crazy how easy it is to find some people.

And it's crazy how easy it is to, you know, NOT share
my daughter started an instagram account in grade 5 or 6 without our permission.

when we find out we sat down and went through the pictures, and let her know exactly how much we could discover about who she is, where she lives, where she goes to school, pets, friends, etc. Mapped out her life.

she got the message and has been much better since.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my daughter started an instagram account in grade 5 or 6 without our permission.

when we find out we sat down and went through the pictures, and let her know exactly how much we could discover about who she is, where she lives, where she goes to school, pets, friends, etc. Mapped out her life.

she got the message and has been much better since.
my wife got the bright idea to let our daughter open up (well my wife created the account for her) a snapchat account when she was 9 because my daughter wanted to post her trampoline videos for her friends from school to watch. She posted 1 video and within 30 minutes had 1500 followers. Account deleted!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my wife got the bright idea to let our daughter open up (well my wife created the account for her) a snapchat account when she was 9 because my daughter wanted to post her trampoline videos for her friends from school to watch. She posted 1 video and within 30 minutes had 1500 followers. Account deleted!

Nothing good comes from a tramapoline (or trying to return one) :D

LegalFlakyGuillemot-max-1mb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.