• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk V: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so that pipeline shut down wasn't the cyber attackers - it was the company itself because they weren't sure they could track the product to charge for it.
production or transmission infrastructure wasn't attacked, billing system was.

Since I started reading about this thing, I really didn't understand how the whole pipeline was shut. First and foremost, there should not be any data stored that the pipeline needs to function. Also, it would seem that the system would be quite isolated like power grid SCADA systems. I also thought that if my laptop had gotten plucked iwth ransomware, it would be down maybe a few hours. I just didn't understand how the impact was so huge. It was improbable.

So now it makes sense. Their customer database got owned and rather than just function and figure it out later they created a crisis that killed people.

If there was ever an argument for regulation and govt control of infrastructure - this is it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way... anyone know what's happening with the Tweets? Do you all see them embedded?

For the past several weeks, I just see "Loading Tweet" (which never happens) and I have to click it to see it in a new window. Often times I get a "Content not available to you" even if it should be.

Is this a change to Twitter? Or does the Hoop no longer allow for them to be embedded? Is it on my end?

Curious what is the experience of others.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way... anyone know what's happening with the Tweets? Do you all see them embedded?

For the past several weeks, I just see "Loading Tweet" (which never happens) and I have to click it to see it in a new window. Often times I get a "Content not available to you" even if it should be.

Is this a change to Twitter? Or does the Hoop no longer allow for them to be embedded? Is it on my end?

Curious what is the experience of others.

I embed all my tweets in the signature which you don't read :D

In all seriousness, I think it is on your end, I'm using Chrome and they're showing up fine for me.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I started reading about this thing, I really didn't understand how the whole pipeline was shut. First and foremost, there should not be any data stored that the pipeline needs to function. Also, it would seem that the system would be quite isolated like power grid SCADA systems. I also thought that if my laptop had gotten plucked iwth ransomware, it would be down maybe a few hours. I just didn't understand how the impact was so huge. It was improbable.

So now it makes sense. Their customer database got owned and rather than just function and figure it out later they created a crisis that killed people.

If there was ever an argument for regulation and govt control of infrastructure - this is it.
I'm not defending Colonial, because seriously, fuck those guys.

(BTW, my hatred goes far past this shutdown, which didn't impact me at all because one car is an EV and the other gets 40 MPG and had 7/8 of a tank. My hatred is because they had a spill in a nature preserve in a Charlotte suburb 9 months ago that they've lied about from day one and continue to lie about, even though it started at 63k gallons and is now 1.2M and counting...so yeah, fuck those guys.)

... However, there are a lot of systems needed just to keep the pipe running (er, piping). An operator who gives a shit about the environment (i.e., not Colonial, see above re: fuck those guys) relies on multiple systems to know if whatever they're pumping is moving, watch for blockages, leaks, etc. Metering systems at both the in (refinery) and out (depots), temperature sensors, flow sensors, etc. Any one of those would be enough to bring a pipeline offline if the company was semi-competent.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I embed all my tweets in the signature which you don't read :D

In all seriousness, I think it is on your end, I'm using Chrome and they're showing up fine for me.

Weird thing is I changed nothing and now I'm seeing them all. Haha. Wtf?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what an asshole

I like the part about how these are "good paying jobs" with "nearly 45 percent paying greater than $15.50 per hour. That's sure a nice way to say the majority of them pay less than $31,000 per year.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what an asshole

The CONSensus around here claim that businesses, mostly restaurants, are struggling to hire people because they don't want to work and would rather collect unemployment. :crazy:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CONSensus around here claim that businesses, mostly restaurants, are struggling to hire people because they don't want to work and would rather collect unemployment. :crazy:
Outside a Dairy Queen here. Friend of mine posted it on Facebook

vtih3pnpvrz61.jpg

No, you fuckstick. They want to work. They just don't want to work in your shitty environment for starvation wages. There's a Wal mart and a pet store on the same parking lot both paying $15+ to start. The free market decided. And if I see a place with a sign like this, I won't buy from them - also the free market deciding.

You would think conservatives would be celebrating that.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys know that people who work at a McDonald's in Copenhagen make $22 an hour? And because I know somebody is going to ask, people have to pay an extra 33 cents for a Big Mac.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the part about how these are "good paying jobs" with "nearly 45 percent paying greater than $15.50 per hour. That's sure a nice way to say the majority of them pay less than $31,000 per year.
And that's for what...greeting people at walmart? Flipping burgers? i.e. unskilled jobs! Why should those make $15.50/hour? You raise that and they are making almost what a person with a BA in business will make in marketing. These are not to be livable wage jobs. They should be transitory...

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside a Dairy Queen here. Friend of mine posted it on Facebook

vtih3pnpvrz61.jpg

No, you fuckstick. They want to work. They just don't want to work in your shitty environment for starvation wages. There's a Wal mart and a pet store on the same parking lot both paying $15+ to start. The free market decided. And if I see a place with a sign like this, I won't buy from them - also the free market deciding.

You would think conservatives would be celebrating that.
They aren't wrong...people make more staying home. That's a problem. Paying $15 for unskilled labor is silly. go ask a college graduate what they make in their first job out of college? It is just above $15/hour. You are now equating making an ice cream cone to their degree...

Status
Not open for further replies.